Reliable Charities For Helping Yolanda Victims

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I don't recommend using Paypay for an International transaction because they are going to skim your donation on the exchange rate.  I started to use it on the Philippines Red Cross web site and they were going to take over 1 peso, about 2.5 cents USD from each dollar I donated.  I used my US Mastercard instead.  All donations on the PH Red Cross site are in Pesos.   If someone is donating from the US, they can also do so on the American Red Cross web site, and target the money for Typhoon relief.

PayPal charges a lower rate for charitable organizations than commercial accounts. Most large charitable organizations, including the American Red Cross, also charge an administrative fee to process cash donations. 

earthdome
Posted
Posted

At the Philippine Red Cross website you can designate your donation for Yolanda here:

http://ushare.redcross.org.ph/

I got home from Palawan last night and made a  donation this morning.

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

There is a telethon going on TV with huge donations coming in from large corporations and smaller ones from well meaning families. I wonder if the television company will distribute the goods themselves or if they work with an NGO like the Red Cross. There is a lot of good will going on but also opportunities for corruption.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have donated on Bruce's website in the past and will again, but my reason for this post was to come up with one for friends and family, and I think they would be more comfortable with a well known name.

Thanks for gathering support for those who need it.

Interesting read here, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/debatesearch/article-2508161/Yes-help-But-incompetent-self-serving-aid-agencies-make-things-worse.html     ,,,take it for what its worth but from other sources l read over the years is that about 10% of what is donated actually is received by victims after admin costs. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have donated on Bruce's website in the past and will again, but my reason for this post was to come up with one for friends and family, and I think they would be more comfortable with a well known name.

Interesting read here, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/debatesearch/article-2508161/Yes-help-But-incompetent-self-serving-aid-agencies-make-things-worse.html     ,,,take it for what its worth but from other sources l read over the years is that about 10% of what is donated actually is received by victims after admin costs. 

Yes, I have read about this in the past.  Regarding the 10%, if you Google "charity ratings" or similar, you can find some web sites that have information and ratings about the various "charities".  Not perfect but helpful.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Ya know one foundation here never seems to get mentioned ..... GMA Kapuso foundation .... no matter what the disaster they are the first ones on the scene as they were in Bohol and now in Leyte .... they ask for nothing and do so much for their countrymen .... they are at the disaster BEFORE the government gets involved ... distributing water .... food and clothing ..... sorry but for my buck they would out rate even the Red Cross as far as being honest and dependable ..... course I would also trust Bruce but for those here that don't know him GMA Kapuso Foundation would be my first choice ..... :thumbsup:  ... JMHO

:cheersty:

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
jpbago
Posted
Posted

Somebody is selling US Army Modular sleeping bags on ayos. I wonder where they got them. It shows 4 in the ad.