Eruf / Yolanda Post Philippines Trip Update

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

G'day everyone! As you can see I am back at work safe and sound.

Thanks for all the well wishes and love notes of encouragement on Facebook and my other modes of social media. It was a long two weeks, and it is good to be home.

First of all I would like to acknowledge everyone that assisted in the trip with personal donations towards helping staff at ERUF (Emergency Rescue Unit Foundation). Big thanks to all the individuals for your generous cash donations. All of you should have received your tax receipts for claiming the donation on your tax by now. If I have missed anyone please let me know. Big thanks also out to MedicOne for the assistance in cheaply buying EMS equipment for this latest trip.

This is a short summary of what most of your money went to: Portable Solar cell/computer charger - this item was really welcomed by the medical teams at ERUF that were deployed to remote areas in Leyte. They were able to keep their cell phones charged in areas with no power, which was a great assistance for us here at the Cebu base so we could keep in touch with them. Many consumables were also purchased, bandages, syringes, needles, alcohol hand gel (which by the way was greatly appreciated by the paramedics), and finally several pairs of boots for paramedics that could never afford to buy them.

We were a little short in relation to money for some other consumables, and small pieces of paramedic equipment such as pulse ox. etc…I was lucky to have enough myself to have enough cash to make up the shortfall.

At the moment ERUF still has one ambulance and paramedic team in Leyte, which is being utilized for acute patient transport between district hospitals that are up and running now, and rescue medical tents that have been established. All ERUF medical teams have now returned from Ormoc and Northern Cebu, looking very tired and getting a well-deserved rest.

I hate to start twisting arms this close to Christmas :)….but I thought I would give all you kind, generous, wonderful people a few months heads up. I am back with the ERUF in January or early February 2014. For this trip I am going to need about $4000, this will cover several Sager Traction Splints, and hard trauma collars for adults and paeds patients. As always, I can get tax receipts for any cash donations to the ERUF.

Contact me directly or via email for ways to contribute. Thanks in advance.

• Like 5

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Moved to Charities.

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

EMS donations for 2014 trip is on its way.

post-3353-0-02766200-1385477560_thumb.jp

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all the fine staff at MedicOne out of Perth for this great donation, it really has made the total jump.

FYI.....the funds for this trip will go for traction splints, vacuum splints, and hard collars.

post-3353-0-96369400-1385718670_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all the fine staff at MedicOne out of Perth for this great donation, it really has made the total jump.

FYI.....the funds for this trip will go for traction splints, vacuum splints, and hard collars.

post-3353-0-27961700-1385989287_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Greetings Team,

The donations are coming in slowly but steady. We are almost at 25% of our total goal of $4000, which will go a long way on providing new equipment for the hard working ERUF Cebu paramedics. Remember the full time paramedics only make about $8 per day, as well as ERUF being the only not for profit completely free ambulance/rescue service in all of the Philippines.

My next trip will be in January/February 2014. Hoping to get close to the $4000 total so we will be able to provide traction splints, vacuum splints, and hard collars. Very high percentage of the calls that the ERUF respond to is trauma related.

Will have to depend completely on donations for individuals and small companies for the equipment. I have approached 4 large Australian companies for help with the donations, but have not got anywhere.

Thanks in advance for all you generous people.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 3

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

With all the recent scandals online in regards to donations not going where they should. I can always guarantee that all donations to the ERUF will get where it is most needed.

Update on the equipment. I have now ordered traction splints for the ERUF, I made up the shortfall with my own cash. As soon as they arrive I will be back in Cebu to train paramedics and orthopedic doctors alike in their use.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

It is amazing how hard it is to get a corporate sponsor for a really good cause. I must have written about 50 letters to the top grossing companies in the Philippines and abroad, with no luck at all for sponsorship of the ERUF.

I am back out to Cebu in a few weeks, looks like I will be funding the equipment for ERUF myself again :(.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

It is amazing how hard it is to get a corporate sponsor for a really good cause. I must have written about 50 letters to the top grossing companies in the Philippines and abroad, with no luck at all for sponsorship of the ERUF.

I am back out to Cebu in a few weeks, looks like I will be funding the equipment for ERUF myself again :(.

Because I did not win lotto once again I can not help you guys out with cash donations but I am thinking that maybe you might be able to canvas local business rather than corporate companies. 

If you had several business that you could gain a small amount from then its better than nothing. It might take some creative thinking to do this as you will need to encourage  these business to get involved.

Perhaps a shop front sign saying this business proudly supports ERUF or something that they see as a way to promote themselves. Then on the ERUF website they could place advertising or a sponsor page etc. Start with expat owned business in Cebu, there are heaps of them despite the negativity when anyone mentions starting a business on any forum.

I would be happy to offer some sort of free advertising on my "sites" for business that support you guys so start thinking of how we can help.    :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Because I did not win lotto once again I can not help you guys out with cash donations but I am thinking that maybe you might be able to canvas local business rather than corporate companies. 

If you had several business that you could gain a small amount from then its better than nothing. It might take some creative thinking to do this as you will need to encourage  these business to get involved.

Perhaps a shop front sign saying this business proudly supports ERUF or something that they see as a way to promote themselves. Then on the ERUF website they could place advertising or a sponsor page etc. Start with expat owned business in Cebu, there are heaps of them despite the negativity when anyone mentions starting a business on any forum.

I would be happy to offer some sort of free advertising on my "sites" for business that support you guys so start thinking of how we can help.    :thumbsup:

Thanks for the idea. :thumbsup: