Eruf / Yolanda Post Philippines Trip Update

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Publicity is a good way to generate donations. You need to offer something that would be unique and attractive for the media to do a story. It must be, "newsworthy."

An example is a plastic surgeon who has a "Surgery on Wheels" project providing free hernia, harelips and reconstructive surgery to children in the provinces. Not good enough. Our proposal is for the plastic surgeon to perform 100 circumcisions in a single day. Hopefully, the story will get international coverage. It's a stunt to raise awareness and money for his main mission - free surgery for children whose parents cannot afford it.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Publicity is a good way to generate donations. You need to offer something that would be unique and attractive for the media to do a story. It must be, "newsworthy."

An example is a plastic surgeon who has a "Surgery on Wheels" project providing free hernia, harelips and reconstructive surgery to children in the provinces. Not good enough. Our proposal is for the plastic surgeon to perform 100 circumcisions in a single day. Hopefully, the story will get international coverage. It's a stunt to raise awareness and money for his main mission - free surgery for children whose parents cannot afford it.

I had "National Geographic" doing a story, but I think it might have fallen through. I will need to follow up with them again.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all the fine staff at MedicOne out of Perth for this great donation, it really has made the total jump.

FYI.....the funds for this trip will go for traction splints, vacuum splints, and hard collars.

It is amazing how hard it is to get a corporate sponsor for a really good cause. I must have written about 50 letters to the top grossing companies in the Philippines and abroad, with no luck at all for sponsorship of the ERUF.

I am back out to Cebu in a few weeks, looks like I will be funding the equipment for ERUF myself again :(.

Because I did not win lotto once again I can not help you guys out with cash donations but I am thinking that maybe you might be able to canvas local business rather than corporate companies. 

If you had several business that you could gain a small amount from then its better than nothing. It might take some creative thinking to do this as you will need to encourage  these business to get involved.

Perhaps a shop front sign saying this business proudly supports ERUF or something that they see as a way to promote themselves. Then on the ERUF website they could place advertising or a sponsor page etc. Start with expat owned business in Cebu, there are heaps of them despite the negativity when anyone mentions starting a business on any forum.

I would be happy to offer some sort of free advertising on my "sites" for business that support you guys so start thinking of how we can help.    :thumbsup:

Thanks for the idea. :thumbsup:

Another thing perhaps, it would cost very little to have T shirts printed with a slogan. These could be given to businesses who sponsor ERUF so they could give them away as a promo. Like a restaurant might offer a free t shirt with a bucket of beer purchase for happy hour and this way everyone wins. Of course you have to spend a little but you might gain regular sponsors. 

Just need to work out what is viable.