So You Have Married A Complete Stranger....... What Now?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Internet dating comes to a good ending and now you are married to a lovely Filipina who by the way is for the most part a complete stranger.

So what were you thinking? What have you done? Why would anyone in their right mind do that? (Enter your best Jake-ism here)

Historically in the US this was not at all uncommon. In some instances arranged marriages or between strangers due to location were normal.

We know people who "date" online and fly to Philippines to become married or do the Fiancee visa. Many of those marriages work out fairly well. Why is that? 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
After all, you have 7000 islands to find the right one, provided you still have enough funds to recover or go back to home country

and start again with lessons learned. It's not the end of the world, you know......

jake can i/we ask how many islands have you conquered?

seems that this expat DID marry a complete stranger.(or did he marry?)

here is his story

( had wanted to post in another topic but thought this was the place to post)

I'm foreigner and married a Filipina last year in 2012,

shortly after the marriage (11days) she run away. I reported her missing and was very worried of why this was happening. 10 days after she run away I had to meet her in the local police station

and there she told me and many of the police officers that she was forced to marry me by her mother.

The police officers and even the mayor herself told me my marriage will be seen as invalid because of these circumstances.

Shortly after that I went to the priest, told him what happened and he (and also the municipality)

gave me back all 4 marriage certificates and everybody told me my marriage is invalid. Of the marriage certificates, 3 got destroyed and  I still have the last one.

I did not hear anything from my 'wife' since we had last seen in police station almost 1 year ago. And her family has broken communication with me shortly after I started to realize they had something to do with this situation.

So what is it now, valid or invalid?

http://www.pinoylawyer.org/t21638-priest-and-mayor-say-my-marriage-is-invalid-is-it

perhaps he didn't pay his "dowry"?

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My strategy was to impregnate my wife as quickly as possible keep her too busy to become homesick. :559:

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

My strategy was to impregnate my wife as quickly as possible keep her too busy to become homesick. :559:

Slam bam, thank you ma'am......I like that!

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Gosh Jake, you're so knowledgeable, so realistic, so articulate, so insightful, so worldly, so succinct, So absolutely spot on !!!

Hmm......bery interesting questions Dan. 

I'm sorry for being out in left field but I had to look up that word succinct.  I thought it was something dirty.....he, he.

You're such a teaser -- but I still lub you, no chit.

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have no issues with arranged marriages.  I actually tried one. My guru introduced me to a girl he said we would be perfect for each other.  I had a number of friends in town that knew her and also said it was a good match.  We talked online and on the phone for a while and I flew to London to meet her.  Just so happens she was Filipino BTW.  We seemed to hit it off well and got married.  I got home and started the visa crap... oh boy what a load of crap...  and she started acting odd.  I hounded her enough that she finally admitted she only married me because everyone said we should - she had a boyfriend she did not bother to mention to anyone.  And she had no desire to come to the US.   So she filed for an annulment in London and the marriage never happened.  Bureaucratic magic. She later married some other guy, had a couple kids, and has been with him over 10 years.  So good for her.

I think it all depends on attitude.  Most people today get married for lust love, and when the shiny newness wears off and the selfishness comes in we continue with our over 50% divorce rate. 

If you get a good Filipino - not just scamming for money - you should be alright.  Love grows over time. They have a more traditional view of marriage and family roles.  So as long you don't go screwing around all the time, and she is not just trying to get money for her family, it has a good chance to work out.

But I want no more children and I think kids help solidify the relationship (especially with Filipinos). So we shall see how this goes.    :tiphat:

A completely unrelated story...

During my short (27 year) Hindu phase I did take initiation from a guru.  Right after the arranged marriage fiasco...  so it is sort of related...  The name he gave me was Tukaram.  Named after a 17th century Indian saint and poet.  His wife was never satisfied, and when he was dying, a chariot came to take him to heaven and everyone told her to come see, and go with him.  She did not believe it and missed her ride to heaven (no I do not believe these myths).  Anyway -  during the naming ceremony he said he named me Tukaram, and hopefully I would soon find a wife to ride with me.  I had never heard of Tuka and had to look all this up.  But when she heard about it in London she was pissed!  I found it all very funny.

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted
I think the key is not being a typical arrogant, self-entitled Kano with a superiority complex

A common kill joy for the new relationship is being overbearing, overprotective and overly jealous.
suffering from severe lackofnooky for the last few years and really don't care how she looks or even how she smells...he, he. And then you fall madly in love-lust anyway,

Gentlemen (and that includes you too Jake ... :mocking: ) you have just about summed it up in it's entirety ..... o much thinking with the little head instead of the big head ..... or in Old55's case just a good old fashion wham .... bam .... thank'ya ma'am works also .... :thumbsup:  :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

• Like 4