G.i. Bill In The Pi

alsuave
Posted
Posted (edited)

Has anyone used the post 9/11 GI Bill to pay for a university in the PI? I read through the GI Bill literature and I know it's possible. I'm just wondering how big a pain in the ass the whole process actually is.

This is for my personal use so I would have to apply for a student visa and do all kinds of other fun stuff I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by alsuave
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

post 9-11 or regular gi bill?

• Like 1

alsuave
Posted
Posted

Post 9/11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Yes post 9-11 is covered here a ACREDITED schools, both academic and trade. All of them are listed on the VA web site. You don't get the full amount you would in the states,,about 50%

• Like 1

alsuave
Posted
Posted

I'm looking at UP Diliman so I'm pretty sure that's accredited. Where did you see the 50%? I didn't see that on the VA website.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Its in the fine print somewhere. 50% might not be correct, but I am positive you do not get the same amount of cash as you would if you went to a state side school.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Hey ALSuave, I don't know if you still need the info, but from what I understand, yes you can use your post 9/11 GI Bill in the Philippines so long as the uni is accredited. Unlike in the US, there is no dedicated veterans advisor, so your best bet would be to go to the international student advisor to get proof of enrollment. It will take a couple of months to process everything. Just make sure to have an American bank account where your money can be direct deposited, since the system is moving away from paper checks.

Disclaimer: I used to work in a congressional office in MA, in veterans and immigration affairs

• Like 2

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Oh, and make sure you take a full load pf courses to get the full amount. You only get 36 months, so please use your time wisely. Also, remedial classses do NOT count. You will only get money for classes that count toward graduation.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Oh, and make sure you take a full load pf courses to get the full amount. You only get 36 months, so please use your time wisely. Also, remedial classses do NOT count. You will only get money for classes that count toward graduation.

Good morning Miss UnCheck,

Thank you for the heads up about collecting VA educational benefits while studying in the Philippines.

I know this is a bit outdated (1993), so any follow up information would be greatly appreciated.  I took

up my benefits while studying at a Catholic college called San Sebastian College in Cavite City.  

I applied for my Vietnam GI Bill at the VA department located at the back of the US Embassy in Manila.

I had to show proof of enrollment, full time student status (15-16 units per semester) and student permit

and 3 months later, started to received my monthly US Treasury check by mail.  Surprising the PI postal

service was quite efficient (I took care of my local postman....he, he).  It's good to hear it's direct deposit

now.  

The monthly check was around 700 bucks!  Had a total 36 months but dropped out after a couple years.

I don't know what the monthly rate is today.....perhaps a little more?

Respectfully -- Kuya Jake 

• 2 weeks later...
UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

I just asked my ex and he said that the post-9/11 GI Bill hovers around $20k/year. If he attended a public uni, he would've gone for free.

Also, this may sound like an ungrateful rant considering that I benefitted from it, but why is the GI Bill only for 36 months while the Dependents Educational Benefits (dad's death was rated 100% service-connected) for 40 months?! Should it not be the other way around?!