Average Filipino Family Income About 20,000 Pesos A Month

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

In 2012, Filipino families had an annual income of 234 thousand pesos, on average.  This is interesting information for those still living in the past where an average Filipino family made about 5,000 pesos a month.  Nowadays, the poorest families earn 6,000 pesos a month.  So if the average filipino family is getting by on 20,000 pesos a month, how much can YOU live on?  The article is long but here is the first bit:

In 2012, Filipino families had an annual income of 234 thousand pesos, on average. In comparison, their expenditure for the same year was 185 thousand pesos, on average. These figures translate to an average annual savings of 49 thousand pesos per family (Table 1). These estimates are based on the results of the 2012 Family Income and Expenditure Survey (FIES), and were computed at prices in year 2012. Considering the inflation in the period 2009-2012, the average annual family income in 2012 would be valued at 180 thousand pesos at 2006 prices, while the average annual family expenditure would be valued at 142 thousand pesos

REST of the story click here

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Priorities, expectations and reality.  Family, food, roof in that order.  Pretty happy with my lot there, I've lived on baked beans, eggs, rice and bread for months at a time after I was taken to the cleaners by my ex-wife (yes, even when I was still serving); anything else is quite literally gravy.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. When a few are VEEEERY rich and most earn litle, then it can be a rather big difference between:

/"average"    = Sum of income divided with number of families.

/"median"     = What the person in the middle of a sorted list earn.

Minimum salaries according to law are still around 5000p/month for fulltime work  (more in Metro Manila and Metro Cebu) and it's common employers don't follow that law and pay LESS. I know several examples personaly    (E g  a pawn shop worker in responsible but low position get less than 5000 too, as well as for a Internet shop attendant. These two work in Cebu. At Mindanao get a restuarant worker only 114p/day for full time   :(

BUT perhaps they count income PER HOME instead of PER FAMILY?  

Or perhaps they don't include the squatters when they count that statistic, extra hard to get values for them. 

THEN I believe it's possible it can be 20 000p    = wrong counted    :)

In many poor families live GROWN UP children still with their parents, sometimes children live there with spouse and own kids too...  IF the statistic count the salary of grown up kids, living at home, as "ONE family" THEN it's less hard to reach 20 000p per HOME...

(I know one family where 2 of the grown up kids still live with the parents and siblings, with their OWN families, because they don't have any job. (They only assist the father a bit with the very small farm.) That ONE HOME, but THREE FAMILES, earn 50 000p per YEAR plus they grew some vegs, but not rice, for own use in small part of the small land they have. 16 people living in that home. I don't understand how they manage to survive. And there are people in Phils who have WORSE situation e g them who LIVE at Manila garbage dump...

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Remember that the rich and the high end earners in this culture are GROSSLY under-reporting their incomes such that a doctor or politician may be reporting incomes of 20K a month while driving new SUVs.  With that in mind I believe that the 'average' filipino family makes much more than 20K a month.  Anyone who is unsure need only look at any of the huge numbers of malls in the cities and see how many people are spending lots of money.

My personal 'best guess' based on personal observations and deductions is:  If you eliminate the non working poor and the high paid professionals and rich, you may find that the 'median' filipino family is living on approximately 40,000 pesos a month.

• Like 2

paulus
Posted
Posted

How can this be so ,when 75% of families earned less than 40,000 per annum.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thats why I hate averages especially when used for statistics ..... when you lump the 75% of the people making less that p40,000 per year with the 25% making millions one way or another you get a really inflated view of the true figure of average Filipino income .... but then most statisticians are famous for manipulating the figures for their own benefit ..... the US government is a world leader for this tactic ..... :thumbsup: 

:cheersty:  

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

That is the income many families report.  I know many more filipinos who make and have more money than I than I know foreigners who do.  Perhaps I just travel in different circles.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

That is the income many families report.  I know many more filipinos who make and have more money than I than I know foreigners who do.  Perhaps I just travel in different circles.

:unsure:  Lets face it, Corruption, Like Charity, Begins at Home   :rolleyes:

There will never be, an Honest answer

:tiphat:

• Like 2