13(A) Financial Capacity Of Applicant And/or Petitioner Information.

BigTChicago
Posted
Posted

hello expat forums, and thank you for the time you will (hopefully) dedicate to reading this. i am currently living in chicago, during the single worst winter of my lifetime. i have been engaged to a lovely filipina woman for about 4 years( we've know each other about 5 years now. what can i say, i dont let the grass grow under my feet). now, ive never been to the PH. we met online and have done everything under the sun to communicate for the time we have been together, but come rain or shine we talk every day.

now i know this seems to be unrelated to the topic i posted but you will understand why i go into such detail as soon as i ask the question.

currently we have been saving so i can go live with my beautiful wife in the PH. she has about 50K saved up, along with a plot of land and a very well paying job at the university. i currently pay for my bills and a good portion of my mothers bills. so needless to say, i dont have nearly as much as her saved up. and currently im wondering how much is needed to show financial capacity?

side note, i know the ph is a very different place than the usa, and that im young and foolish to go into a new country without anyone beside my wife (and her loving family, they want me there as bad as she does.) and i would appreciate it if no one came into the thread just to tell me how much of a bad idea it is. i dont mean any disrespect, but if doing this is a mistake, im not doing anything right.

Tony, 22, chicago.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Tony, the financial capacity requirement for a 13a is just a matter of submitting a copy of a local bank statement with the rest of the paperwork. There's no set amount. It's nothing. Welcome to the forum.

brock
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Tony.

You can come over with just enough money that will cover the cost of your holiday, How ever much you think you might need for your stay.

I cant understand when you say you dont have as much as her saved up, That amount will only about cover the cost of your flight, Unless you meant 50,000 Dollars.

brock
Posted
Posted

Sorry I didnt realize you were thinking of going to live there,,,,And you have never even been for a vacation ?

BigTChicago
Posted
Posted

Tony, the financial capacity requirement for a 13a is just a matter of submitting a copy of a local bank statement with the rest of the paperwork. There's no set amount. It's nothing. Welcome to the forum.

ah, alright. thank you very much. my fiance was worried it was going to be an extravagant amount. i was told on another forum 100k, so thats what we were shooting for. now that you told me that she should feel more at ease. thank you again

BigTChicago
Posted
Posted

Sorry I didnt realize you were thinking of going to live there,,,,And you have never even been for a vacation ?

no i have not. im not going to go into detail, but with the life i have lived, it it very easy for me to go without, and to not have anything at all when dropped into a new place. i have been to some rough places and lived on a lot less than i would have if i went and stayed with my filipina. so i dont think i would have culture shock or regret. thanks for the reply

MikeB
Posted
Posted
ah, alright. thank you very much. my fiance was worried it was going to be an extravagant amount. i was told on another forum 100k, so thats what we were shooting for. now that you told me that she should feel more at ease. thank you again

They will ask about your financial means during the interview. As long as the attorney doesn't think you will end up destitute I don't think there will be a problem.   

BigTChicago
Posted
Posted

They will ask about your financial means during the interview. As long as the attorney doesn't think you will end up destitute I don't think there will be a problem.   

ah you are making me so happy. we wont have to worry about any money problems, my wife has a very good job, along with a masters (soon to be doctorate). i just shared the news with her, and she says thank you for your help :)

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
(and her loving family, they want me there as bad as she does.

wonder why they want you so bad here?( $$)

your 22 years old years old and have known her for 5 yrs?

and i would appreciate it if no one came into the thread just to tell me how much of a bad idea it is.

I rarely criticize a post or a member BUT ,

you really do need to think HARD VERY HARD before you come.

i know the ph is a very different place than the usa, and that im young and foolish

have you stayed or visited for any length of time? not a week but 1 month?

once your here. your under the PHILIPPINES laws not usa, it is a BIG BIG difference.

things that you may do there would get a strange look. here those same things can get you KILLED

I suggest that you think hard.. very hard before you make that move..

she has about 50K saved up

is this 50k in pesos or USD?. that 50k if its $$ will last you anywhere from 30 months - 4 yrs

if its pesos. about 1 month.

she works at a university? and how long? many teachers here are not well paid.

that brings to me a RED FLAG ..................................

Somewhere in the forum is a post by TRAVIS, i strongly suggest that you read his post ,

your in Chicago, have you met any other Philippine citizens/couples or groups?.

so you can talk to them..

i was young once & i thought of the same,,,, best thing I ever did was to wait,til i was older,

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

i dont have nearly as much as her saved up. and currently im wondering how much is needed to show financial capacity?

At 22. You have a long way to go till retirement, I am guessing, you do not, have a private Income if I am reading right. The One thing you will be asked at your age, is where,  your earnings come from, Most of the members here, on a 13a, have Pensions. or private provable funding. This my friend could and I only say could,  be a big stumbling block for you.

As you will not be able to take any work until, you have your 13a, you may find that the BOI, will view  you as no visible means of support. This will of course raise some alarm in your Interview, the issue is  "We the Foreigner" have to prove We can take care of our Wives and children

I am sure things will become much clearer as the topic progresses. Things will really come home to you when you are here and can judge for yourself, We all have a little cross to bear on things but  each story, has a different ending, each case is always different. Many Posters, will relay what happened to them, this of course may not happen to you. best be aware though :rolleyes:

I hope yours, will have a Happy Ending

:tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 3