A Heritage Of Smallness

alsuave
Posted
Posted (edited)

Excellent article by Nick Joaquin that should be mandatory reading for all Filipinos. Some may disagree with the author's views about how colonialism affected the Philippines, but I think the article is spot on. Especially when you consider how much this country is against foreigners owning land and businesses.

"For the present all we seen to be able to do is ignore pagan evidence and blame our inability to sustain the big effort of our colonizers: they crushed our will and spirit, our initiative and originality. But colonialism is not uniquely our ordeal but rather a universal experience. Other nations went under the heel of the conqueror but have not spent the rest of their lives whining. What people were more trod under than the Jews? But each have been a thoroughly crushed nation get up and conquered new worlds instead. The Norman conquest of England was followed by a subjugation very similar to our experience, but what issued from that subjugation were the will to empire and the verve of a new language."

http://getrealphilippines.com/blog/2013/05/nick-joaquins-a-heritage-of-smallness/

Edited by alsuave
  • Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The last comment on the bottom of the page by "Ian" sums it up perfectly.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Interesting.

But at least some of them others are trainable. My ex gf isn't a common Visayan, because she had allready at 27 years of age managed to get same size of land as her father - but it was on a low level = 2 hectares. From a very poor level she had reached that but determination, economic thinking and hard work, but she was still thinking common "small Filipin", thinking a sarisari is "big" business. But after a half year of giving her hints and repeetingly telling her to "think biger" when we discussed business, she reached thinking "Wholesale rice"  :)  

So not odd e g Chinese are so dominating in biger business in the Philippines. (As e g he who have built e g Cebu Pacific airlines and Globe telecom from scratch, starting as poor when his father died when he was still a kid. I don't know if it's true he was realy poor, his father was a businessman, so he had got some "business genes" growing up anyway.)

(("The Norman conquest of England"

It was the Normands. (=Danish Wikings took part of France a few generations earlier. That part got the name Normandie. The highest boss when they conquered France was called abroad "Rollo" from start named "Rolf" as grown up nicknamed "Gånge Rolf" ="Walking Rolf" because he was so big so no horse could manage to carry him  :lol:     A decentant of him, William the conquerer", took England in the battle of Hastings 1066. But much of that success was just luck, because it just happened other Wikings had made a try to conquer attack at the eastcoast just before that but failed. Then the English army got the news Normands had landed in the south, so they rushed march there, so the English army was both reduced and were exhausted when it reached there, so not odd they lost.   ((Btw the big fat Gånge Rolf is an ancestor to me, but we don't look alike at all :mocking:

Americano
Posted
Posted

Filipinos are small people so they think small. Some of their buses are so small that my wife and I are stuffed in tighter than sardines in a tin can. Sometimes I call it the land of midgets.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

"in the West, if you go out at seven in the morning you’re in a dead-town. Everybody’s still in bed; everything’s still closed up. Activity doesn’t begin till nine or ten– and ceases promptly at five p.m. By six, the business sections are dead towns again. The entire cities go to sleep on weekends."

Not true except in very small communities; it's certainly not the norm, at least not in recent times. The author of the article died in 2004 at 86, perhaps a bit dated.  

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

My Fiance is 5'9", the local doctor I saw for my skinned calf just called her Ms. Universe. Fiancee's dad is 5'9" and her brother is 5'10". When we were still just chatting online, fiancee told me, we're big people, even her mother is 5'5". I think their height may have something to do with diet, growing up on a farm and probably no small amount of spanish genes. :)

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I think their height may have something to do with diet, growing up on a farm and probably no small amount of spanish genes. :)
Yes, diet is a length factor according to historical research during many houndreds of years within SAME nationality,

and as you know are genes an other factor. (Spanish are "tall" compared to Filipins, but short compared to Scandinavians  :)

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

The first comment by Gerry is recent and shows that nothing has changed and never will.

• Like 1