Any Thoughts, Advice Or Suggestions On Siquijor?

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

Really, would love to go there. Its just tow of us. Not looking for tourist-see type. Just lots of water maybe some white sand and beach. Only thing interested is snorkeling. Would really like advice on some great resorts on a budget?

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

I love the island not much to do there though

Ask for Romeo at the dock hes a trike driver who knows the island inside out

Many places to stay for around the 1000p mark

Not great snorkling the places i went but some njice sand

Small island easy to drivd around good for just relaxing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

I love the island not much to do there though

Ask for Romeo at the dock hes a trike driver who knows the island inside out

Many places to stay for around the 1000p mark

Not great snorkling the places i went but some njice sand

Small island easy to drivd around good for just relaxing

and the snorklling is the one thing I would really want to do. and I really love the 1000 mark for places. Funny heard a lot of good things about the place and that there were things to keep you busy. Well I have not placed money on anything yet I am about a day away from making plans. Will be coming there from Bacolod. Well, would you have any other suggestions. Great beach, snokling not to touristsee and great nice places like they have around 1000 mark? I know that may be a big order. :-)

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Apo island outside of dumagute is awesome snorkling

Moalboal has some great snorkling right of the beach some nice walls but kinda touristy

But way more to do around moalboal

I love siqihor but theres not much there butterfly garden and really nice scenery there may be good snorkeling bit the places I stayed at the water was shallow for a long way out

• Like 2

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

Sounds great, but how is safety with Dumaguete? I figure you must be careful everywhere I get that but don't want the extra worry of a place rumored to have its issues?

Apo island outside of dumagute is awesome snorkling

Moalboal has some great snorkling right of the beach some nice walls but kinda touristy

But way more to do around moalboal

I love siqihor but theres not much there butterfly garden and really nice scenery there may be good snorkeling bit the places I stayed at the water was shallow for a long way out

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
how is safety with Dumaguete?

You need to be careful where you hang out, who you hang out with, and where you rent your place.  The same can be said about living in and around Cebu.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
davewe
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete looked as safe to me as anywhere I have ever been. There was a beggar by the ATM once and I brought it to their attention that they may startle or make people anxious if they hang around the ATM and it may not be the best idea. I have a friend who lives there, and he's never said anything bad about it safety wise.

I read where one guys wife would not go to Siquijor because there were witches there. The guy went and when he returned he told his wife how pretty the witches were and she now insists she go with him if he goes back. :hystery:

I will have to try this technique the next time we come to visit PI. I suggested siquijor to my wife for this trip and she made it clear that she would be OK if I went, but it would be alone:)

• 2 weeks later...
the_whipster
Posted
Posted

the best area for snorkelling on Siquijor is the area clockwise past Larena, until Maria. And probably the best resort to stay at if snorkelling is your primary aim I would say is Islander Paradise http://islandersparadisebeach.com/ where the fan bungalows right on the beach start at 800. It is right next door to the Kiwi Dive Resort which is popular, but I think Islander Paradise just shades it on value for money. The restaurant is also better value for money than Kiwi Dive's. One problem is depth of the water and when I was there, unfortunately co-incided with a very low tide. So while OK, there are better snorkelling destinations, not so far away from Siquijor.

Siquijor is a wonderful island, one of the very best there is of the ones I know. Probably the best one to have a motorbike, better than the Camotes, which is the next best. Beautiful ambience, some nice falls and also a surprisingly good nightlife compared to what I had been led to believe that there would be.

accommodation and bike hire is among the cheapest you will find anywhere in the Philippines. I stayed at a really quite nice fan guesthouse in Siquijor town with cable tv for 350. Motorbike hire is 250. There are very few, if any, places that can beat that. Even Hope Homes at Danao on Panglao is now 750 for fan room and bike.

the witches of Siquijor thing : I had the same problem, but a friend of mine's wife in Dumaguete basically talked the girl I was with out of it, and not to worry. Not every Filipino is iredemmably superstitious. Some foreigners have resorted to drastic measures. One guy i know in Cebu said hey honey let's pack our bags, we're going to Bohol. Only they did not take a ferry to Tagbilaran. It was to Larena. It took a couple of days for the penny to drop for her.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
the witches of Siquijor thing

For those who are old enough to remember 'Bewitched'

My good friend has a partner from Siquijor and if you saw her you would not care if she was a witch.  She puts Samantha to shame.  If the other girls there look like her then it should be high on everyone's list as a place to visit.  (I won't post her pic as he may not appreciate that so trust me on this  :thumbsup:  )