The Perfect Laptop?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I've read a lot of reviews and can't find anything I don't like about this laptop - except the price. Has anyone found anything better?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP940X3G-K04US

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

awww Mike I'm jealous. Thats equal to my desktop. You will be blown away by the difference in speed by the ssd. Get it than let me borrow it for a while so I can see if you got a good deal. Really though unless you are a gamer  or do cpu intensive programs its a bit over kill. But you will not have to upgrade for a long while. That price tag  OUCH !!!

If I had your money I could throw mine away

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Well, I didn't say I was buying it but since I spend most of my waking hours on a computer, it would make sense to get a good one. My Toshiba is about 5 years old so buying a laptop isn’t something I do every day. Besides being very powerful, aesthetically, it’s a beautiful product. The blue backlighting on the keyboard is supposed to be very nice. There’s a less powerful i5/128SSD/4GB RAM version of this for about $500 less that’s still awesome. The memory is soldered in so not easily upgradeable if you decide you need more so best to get the max you can. If anything is overkill it’s the 3200x1800 resolution on a 13.3 screen. I use a monitor that wouldn't support it and couldn't use it with touchscreen anyway. Really like to see it in person but I doubt you’ll find it here anytime soon.

• Like 3

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Will those little ants get into it and fry it? I have heard of that happening and they already destroyed my first electric kettle. I worry about my laptop everyday and when it goes I probably will go with cheap rather than pricey.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't see anything about a DVD drive/burner.  I could not live without one (except on my little netbook).   And the 256 Gb drive is pretty small.  The speed looks nice though

~Edit~  My son bought Toshiba's for his last 3 laptops.  I bought a Toshiba last year right before moving over here.  I love it! 

Edited by Tuka Ram
  • Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

For that price you might as well buy a Macbook. I broke down last October and bought a Macbook Pro (after 5.5 years, my 2008 Macbook Pro was on it's last leg). I got a great deal on a close out on a mid-2012 Macbook Pro (2.7GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, DVD Drive, HD Display). I then upgraded the internal HD to a 240GB SSD, upgraded the ram to 16GB, added a hard drive carrier where the DVD drive was installed the original 1TB HD there, and a case for the DVD Drive to make it external (I rarely use a DVD drive anymore) for $500. So this little machine is set for the next 5 years. Boots up in 10 seconds, shuts down in 5. I love the Macbook Pro and won't ever deal with Windows ever again (unless it is at an employer's office).

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I think that one is closer to my Macbook Air.  I never thought I would buy a mac but this is my second one and really love it.  Never had one pop-up, virus, or issue with either one.  Also agree with that price, if you intend to buy, it might be a good time to try a mac!  For me, I don't think I'll ever buy another PC.

• Like 1

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

http://store.sony.com/vaio-pro-ultrabooks/cat-27-catid-Computers-Ultrabook-Pro-Series   I've got last years model and its on all day and never gone wrong. Lovely machine and the touchscreen is great when viewing photos. This one has the new PCI-E SSD so fast.  Saying that all ultrabooks fall down on the 2 usb's especially if you have external harddrives and dvd.  add a keyboard and mouse, my laptop is connected to a 24 inch monitor, you've run out of usb ports and need to swap devices around.

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

The Samsung sure is top of the line in options & set up. Some may say a 256GB drive is to small. It depends on what you want to do with it. USB sticks are cheap storage.

It is only Perfect until the next model comes out!.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Maybe not so perfect. The latest Samsung is a 15.6 display at 1080 resolution so they could market "up to 14 hours on a single charge". Putting the 3200x1800 res on a 13 in display makes the icons, text, etc very small and it doesn't make sense to connect a monitor and take away the touch screen functionality. I like a small laptop but the larger display is still amazingly small and light and it has a full HDMI port instead of the micro port the smaller one has. http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/samsung-ativ-book-9-2014-edition-ativ-one-7/

The main competitors of these high end "ultrabooks" are the Macs. I should have titled this "The Perfect Windows Laptop" but, as Flyway said, "it's only perfect till the next one".

• Like 3