The Perfect Laptop?

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I just bought a MAC Air, I have never been happier. Great laptop!

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The USB Hub cannot be just wires as USB connections are daisy chained...  The data would be indecipherable and total jibberish to your computer.  So buy a new computer that used USB 3 and you won't have the problem of needing a powered hub...  You will just have to find a USB 3 hub!    :hystery:

I don't know if anyone suggesting Mac is aware but the new Macs and MacBooks will be out this June.  Rumours have it that the 13 inch MacBooks will be changed into a 12 inch screen.  Other rumours are suggesting the Retina screen will be available on any size MacBook.  Other than that, the internals of the MacBook Air sound identical to the machine Mike B opened up this thread with.  And if you need a DVD?  $89 Cdn for a USB SuperDrive (reader and burner) through any Apple store or affiliate in Canada.  More HDD space?  Go digital or analog and put an external USB drive on.  Just remember - USB 3 if you can.  One last word towards getting the perfect net/notebook/laptop?  If you get the MacBook, make sure you get an external cover for your wonderful indestructible aluminum case...  These things scratch so very easily!!!

:mocking:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I'm tempted but they still don't have touch screen and people who have used it say it's useful. I don't think it's going away. Apple management have dismissed it, saying it's a gimmick and they already have the better product but that's PR bs. I don't think the founder would agree. He would have acknowledged (internally) MS got the jump and probably already created a better T/S.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

The USB Hub cannot be just wires as USB connections are daisy chained...  The data would be indecipherable and total jibberish to your computer.  So buy a new computer that used USB 3 and you won't have the problem of needing a powered hub...  You will just have to find a USB 3 hub!    :hystery:

I don't know if anyone suggesting Mac is aware but the new Macs and MacBooks will be out this June.  Rumours have it that the 13 inch MacBooks will be changed into a 12 inch screen.  Other rumours are suggesting the Retina screen will be available on any size MacBook.  Other than that, the internals of the MacBook Air sound identical to the machine Mike B opened up this thread with.  And if you need a DVD?  $89 Cdn for a USB SuperDrive (reader and burner) through any Apple store or affiliate in Canada.  More HDD space?  Go digital or analog and put an external USB drive on.  Just remember - USB 3 if you can.  One last word towards getting the perfect net/notebook/laptop?  If you get the MacBook, make sure you get an external cover for your wonderful indestructible aluminum case...  These things scratch so very easily!!!

The USB Hub cannot be just wires as USB connections are daisy chained.  What do you mean by daisy chained?  Are they in series or parallel? 

:mocking:

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I am not a big touch screen fan. Especially when you are dealing with such a high resolution. It sucks when you cannot close that maximized window with your finger. Sometimes the pointer devices cannot resolve the corners.

On top of this, how do you "Right Click" on a touchscreen? To me, touchscreens are fine for tablets and phones. But a laptop with a keyboard and touch pad? No need for the touchscreen. Might as well get a HP X2 Split or something similar if you want the best of both touchscreen and keyboard/mouse usage options.

Recently I replaced several PC's where I work with 23" ASUS All in One units. I ended up disabling the touch screens. It became to frustrating for them when closing windows or double tapping icons to open programs.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

To me, touchscreens are fine for tablets and phones. But a laptop with a keyboard and touch pad? No need for the touchscreen.

I'm not saying yay or nay but, if you read the reviews, a surprising number of people disagree - once you get used to using it. For cheaper laptops I don't think it's a big thing at this point but for the higher ends I would want it...and everything else under the sun. So far, I haven't found the "perfect" combination of specs.

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

IMO, the touch screen on a laptop is just to give Windows 8 a reason to be. My screen gets grubby as it is without any constant finger pressing and to tell you the truth, I don't think I would use that function anyway. Touch screens are for tablets and smart phones where the technology makes sense

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

IMO, the touch screen on a laptop is just to give Windows 8 a reason to be. My screen gets grubby as it is without any constant finger pressing and to tell you the truth, I don't think I would use that function anyway. Touch screens are for tablets and smart phones where the technology makes sense

I agree Fred.  For long term use on laptops, it's not really ergonomically user friendly, unless you have gorilla arms

Holding your arms like that would be fatiguing for me.  Perhaps using it as an artist with a stylist or some other device

would be more appropriate of having a touch screen on a larger display.  

Having worked on many state of the art slot machines, the touch screens do get quite dirty and may become misalign.  

I don't know if the latest laptops have a built-in touch screen calibration when that happens.  

Respectfully -- Jake

MikeB
Posted
Posted

"Gorilla arm" is a term coined 30 years ago by engineers, it was outdated even then. But it's been kept alive in large part by Apple management, including the late founder, which translates to "I didn't develop it so I'll badmouth it so you won't buy it". In practice it doesn't work like that, you don't keep your arm extended, it's just another input option along with mouse and kb, nothing more. I believe it's a moot point anyway because in a few years almost all the displays, including Macs, will be touch screen. But there are valid reasons not to buy it now - more expensive, Windows 8 issues, and sucks batteries but technology will take care of these things. "Gorilla arms", nah.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Holding your arms like that would be fatiguing for me.

I am also having a hard time picturing the value of touchscreen on a laptop.  I have to hold my 7" tablet at arms length because of the focal point of my glasses and even that small thing gets fatiguing after a while.  But to each their own.