Murder Of Foreigners

Americano
Posted
Posted

I think there is a reason this case will just slowly go away. More fun

You may be on to something that we didn't think of.  Every foreigner should ask this question, has a Filipino ever been found guilty and sent to prison for killing a foreigner?  If so, then what was the percentage actually found guilty and spent time in prison? I believe the number is very low, especially in recent years.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Every foreigner should ask this question, has a Filipino ever been found guilty and sent to prison for killing a foreigner?  If so, then what was the percentage actually found guilty and spent time in prison?

I know of at least one, the murder of Steven Davis in Makati in 2002, planned by his wife. She's serving 40 years and the actual murderers, one of them her bf, 30. A fourth who acted as lookout was given immunity for his testimony. But if not for the extraordinary efforts of his mother they would have never been caught let alone convicted. Very interesting book she wrote on the ordeal, "For the Love of My Son".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-404560/A-mothers-revenge-murder-son.html

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I split the topic since the other thread is about the Pique case.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
has a Filipino ever been found guilty and sent to prison for killing a foreigner?

I can only recall 2 cases and BOTH was HIGH PROFILE

1 was Colonel james Rowe about 1988?87? and the other was the son of a NY (state) judge

another case but i cant recall the details is a PEACE CORP? worker was killed (north luzon) 2008? and the person was arrested but.... i cant recall any other details.

a current case we should keep our eyes on is the husband of the embassy employee who was killed by the 3 rich kids in 2012 

late edit,

just recalled the HARRY DOYLE case. this could be the"new gauge" of how cases will be tried and justice served.

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
a current case we should keep our eyes on is the husband of the embassy employee who was killed by the 3 rich kids in 2012
  (Just from what I remember from what I did read back then, and looking at the video showing the stabbing.) 

It seem the judge see it as very small/no crime, because he let them out during the court handling...

(According to the video, two of them hunted the American when he switched from aggressive to try to run away, and it seem one of them participated in the hunt and hiting, but didn't stab him,

while the other 1-2 only participated before the American run, so not fair if he/they get any hard punishment.)

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I think there is a reason this case will just slowly go away. More fun

You may be on to something that we didn't think of.  Every foreigner should ask this question, has a Filipino ever been found guilty and sent to prison for killing a foreigner?  If so, then what was the percentage actually found guilty and spent time in prison? I believe the number is very low, especially in recent years.

I believe it's a very low percentage found guilty for the murders of Filipins too, much depending of the crazy law system the Philippines got and have kept from the Spanish colonisation period...    :bash:  :1 (103):

but I believe too as you the percentage is even lower concerning murders of foreigners.

• Like 1

efigy
Posted
Posted

does anyone know of what happened with regard to the killing of ivan brown a few years ago??

• 2 weeks later...
Americano
Posted
Posted

has a Filipino ever been found guilty and sent to prison for killing a foreigner?

I can only recall 2 cases and BOTH was HIGH PROFILE

1 was Colonel james Rowe about 1988?87? and the other was the son of a NY (state) judge

another case but i cant recall the details is a PEACE CORP? worker was killed (north luzon) 2008? and the person was arrested but.... i cant recall any other details.

late edit,

just recalled the HARRY DOYLE case. this could be the"new gauge" of how cases will be tried and justice served.

You can do a search and read about the death of Colonel James Rowe on Wikipedia. He was in the US Army and a prisoner in Vietnam for several years and became an expert on surviving as a prisoner. He was working in Manila as an adviser of the Philippines Army when he was killed. Reading stores about him is especially hard for me since he was my cousin who I never met in person.

• Like 3

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

the 2010 murderer of the Scottish sailor John Mcdonald was tried and sentenced to 15 years, although he did not face the 1st degree murder charge - probably rightly as it was not really a planned and premeditated murder. The case was a bit similar to the Steven Davis case mentioned above (both victims were under 30 years of age), the police would not proceed until they were paid to do so, in both cases by the victim's British mother. Even though it was obvious who had stabbed Mcdonald, the police would not expend any effort to catch him until they were paid. I think that is this is what may partly explain the low clear up rate of foreigner murders in the Philippines. Older victims have few if any relatives who actually care about them enough to pay the cops to do anything on the case.

Filipino families also have to put with this too. i know a girl whose brother, age 16, was shot dead in Barili, Cebu, even though everyone knew who had done it (there were witnesses), the cops would not do anything unless they were paid and they are a really poor family. The murderer just legged it to Manila and got lost. He is still free, three years later.

• Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

also I would be surprised, even in the Philippines, if the security guy who according to news reports shot dead the British diveshop bloke six times at point blank range last month on Malapascua, is going to get away with a self-defence plea. I'm assuming he is in jail on the mainland awaiting trial. Another reason why foreigner murder clear up rates may seem low is because cases can take a long time to get to trial, memories fade, and their eventual conviction and sentencing does not generate headlines the same way that the murders themselves do.

• Like 1