A Download Program For Youtube Videos

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for that info Markham ....

I use a program called "Internet Download Manager 6.18" it downloads everything for me no matter what .... videos from anywhere including YouTube ..... documents and even pictures (I don't use it for pictures as I use "Screen Grab" for that and taking snapshots of web pages) ...... I just set it to put the proper files in the proper folders and don't worry about it after that ....  :thumbsup:

post-11-0-99607700-1398242714_thumb.jpg

:cheersty:

Edited by Mike S

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I'm using Freemake. So far so good. Won't work with Hulu though...Arrrg!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Thank you Mark

I remember a while back I tried this and had some problem with it but this one worked fine.There was a "windows" pop up message saying something about it was an unusual type of download, forget the words now but proceeded anyway. Then avast anti virus checked all files with no problems found.

Only thing I would like to see is the downloading shown on the same interface page rather than having to click on the download tab to see whats going on. I have a heap of you tube music videos I regularly watch so will download them all.

:thumbsup:

Markham
Posted
Posted
I use a program called "Internet Download Manager 6.18" ...

Mike,

IDM works in a completely different way to my utility as it (IDM) can "grab" any video that's in Adobe Flash format. The Flash version of Youtube videos is mostly at a resolution of 640 x 360 (if widescreen) or 640 x 480. Now that's probably good enough to watch in a small player window on your PC but would look horrible if viewed full-screen or on your 96" TV.

For any given Youtube video, there will be a number of different versions available including, in many cases, HD versions up to 2048 x 1536 which my utility can identify and download.

However as a download accelerator, IDM works just fine :)

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

Thank you Mark

I remember a while back I tried this and had some problem with it but this one worked fine.There was a "windows" pop up message saying something about it was an unusual type of download, forget the words now but proceeded anyway. Then avast anti virus checked all files with no problems found.

Are you talking about the installation program?

Only thing I would like to see is the downloading shown on the same interface page rather than having to click on the download tab to see whats going on. I have a heap of you tube music videos I regularly watch so will download them all.

That's a fair point, Tom. The reason the download status panes are displayed on a separate tab - rather than on a scrolling portion of the main window - is one of space. I didn't want the main window to grow any larger than it is as I actually use this program on a Netbook and there's not much screen real estate to play around with.

I may have a solution.

Would it help if the individual download status panels disappeared once a download has completed successfully? Those that are still in the process of downloading would remain as would any that were paused or terminated by some error condition (normally that'd be because the download timed-out). As the "Download" tab shows the number of download status panels, you could quickly see the current state of play.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Thank you Mark

That's a fair point, Tom. The reason the download status panes are displayed on a separate tab - rather than on a scrolling portion of the main window - is one of space. I didn't want the main window to grow any larger than it is as I actually use this program on a Netbook and there's not much screen real estate to play around with.

I may have a solution.

Would it help if the individual download status panels disappeared once a download has completed successfully? Those that are still in the process of downloading would remain as would any that were paused or terminated by some error condition (normally that'd be because the download timed-out). As the "Download" tab shows the number of download status panels, you could quickly see the current state of play.

Yes Mark I was talking about the install.

Just a question about the built in media program, since I had VLC installed it automatically used that. Not sure how to use the in built one.

Maybe a disappearing download queued status would be better but its no big deal.The program opens to a 12 x 8.5 cm interface on my screen so is fairly small. Anyway of making it fluid for those like yourself using a netbook?

Now over the weekend I will get you to modernize the look of the interface, some fancy icons and make the interface stay on top so I can drag and drop the URLs. Then we can work on the marketing while I build the website and you sort out a comprehensive user tutorial. I think we will run a competition to rename the program so it will become a household name and I think a 60/40 deal with you, 60 for me and 40 for you and then we can both live happily ever after once we sell a million or so copies of this program.

Got to phone the bank to let them know I will be paying my loan off sooner   :540:

• Like 2

Markham
Posted
Posted

Thank you Mark

I may have a solution.

Yes Mark I was talking about the install.

I think that message came from a DOS session that's used towards the end of the installation process.

Just a question about the built in media program, since I had VLC installed it automatically used that. Not sure how to use the in built one.

If you're not seeing the built-in player, then that would imply that you didn't allow the setup program to download and install the "K-Lite" Codec pack. VLC uses its own video and audio decoders whilst most other players - mine included - use the standard Microsoft DirectShow (part of DirectX) and that requires some extra files that are not included in the standard Windows installation. You can re-run the setup program to download and install "K-Lite"; it won't have any adverse effect on VLC or your PC generally.

Just to show you what you're missing, this is the internal player showing a video with you in mind! :dance:

post-190-0-81818500-1398344248_thumb.png

Maybe a disappearing download queued status would be better but its no big deal.

I'll make that a user-settable option.

The program opens to a 12 x 8.5 cm interface on my screen so is fairly small. Anyway of making it fluid for those like yourself using a netbook?

A nice idea and I will give it some thought. However my immediate thought is that this might overly complicate matters. The download status panels are individual windows but with no containing frame with title and minimize/maximize/close buttons and instead of hosting them on the Windows Desktop, I'm hosting them to a tabpage which is a scrollable area. I can foresee all kind of nasty bugs could creep in if I make the main window the hosting target - not least because it already resizes itself, as you may have noticed. But I will give it some thought.

Now over the weekend I will get you to modernize the look of the interface, some fancy icons and make the interface stay on top so I can drag and drop the URLs. Then we can work on the marketing while I build the website and you sort out a comprehensive user tutorial. I think we will run a competition to rename the program so it will become a household name and I think a 60/40 deal with you, 60 for me and 40 for you and then we can both live happily ever after once we sell a million or so copies of this program.

Got to phone the bank to let them know I will be paying my loan off sooner   :540:

I've fulfilled one of your wishes: you can now drag a YouTube URL, or a text link to a YouTube video, and drop it anywhere on the downloader's main window - on either tabpage!

I'll post an updated version shortly.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use a program called "Internet Download Manager 6.18" ...

Mike,

IDM works in a completely different way to my utility as it (IDM) can "grab" any video that's in Adobe Flash format. The Flash version of Youtube videos is mostly at a resolution of 640 x 360 (if widescreen) or 640 x 480. Now that's probably good enough to watch in a small player window on your PC but would look horrible if viewed full-screen or on your 96" TV.

For any given Youtube video, there will be a number of different versions available including, in many cases, HD versions up to 2048 x 1536 which my utility can identify and download.

However as a download accelerator, IDM works just fine :)

Thanks for that info Markham ..... I didn't realize that this was the program you developed .... is there a link to the download so I can try it .... thanks .... :thumbsup:

Ooooops having a senior moment ...... saw it on you first post .... thanks ..... :1 (103):

Edited by Mike S

Markham
Posted
Posted

Here's the updated version as promised.

I've added a few more user-settings including the one that Bossman asked for - to be able to make the downloader's main window always "on top". Here's the new menu (click on the right-hand part of the "Open" button):

post-190-0-68103700-1398448702_thumb.png

I've also sorted out a few display glitches.

There's no need to uninstall the earlier version, the setup program will simply update your existing installation.

Download: YouTubeDownloaderVersion355.zip

Enjoy!

• Like 4