How Hot Is It? Passenger Faints At Niaa

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

A London-bound passenger fainted on Thursday at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 1 (Naia 1) due to the unbearable heat as a result of the ongoing rehabilitation.

The Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) identified the passenger as Angelita Baroso of Marilao, Bulacan, who was lined up with her family at the immigration area when she suddenly collapsed around 10 a.m.

Immigration officers called the airport’s medical emergency workers who revived Baroso after a few minutes. A doctor checked her blood pressure and vital signs

and later declared her fit to travel.  She was also given bottled water and sandwiches. :thats-funny:

Baroso was quoted by immigration officers as saying that the heat at the airport was unbearable, leaving her so exhausted that she fainted.

An 11 year old girl also fainted  in the immigration area last month for the same reason.

Air-conditioning units at Naia 1 have either been disabled or damaged by the ongoing renovation of the airport, a P1.64-billion project.

The poor ventilation in the area has been aggravated by the hot air coming from the runway.

Last Sunday, the weather bureau recorded a temperature of 37.4 degrees Celsius at the Naia area.

Many passengers have turned to social media networks to complain about what they described as “oven-like” and “desert-like” conditions at Terminal 1.

Transportation Secretary Joseph Abaya, who had earlier apologized for the situation,

said that four new aircon units would be delivered by September.  The MIAA will also rent air-conditioning units to alleviate passengers’ suffering, he added.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/602598/desert-like-heat-at-naia-1-causes-passenger-to-faint

1 thing i like about some of the news stories is the comments provided by the readers, :999:

• Like 2

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

Transportation Secretary Joseph Abaya, who had earlier apologized for the situation, said that four new aircon units would be delivered by September. 

typical Philippines. They'll arrive just in time, for the cool season. And probably be shut down, for 'maintenance', when it starts to get hot again in 2015.

however if truth be told the Philippines, while obviously being a hot country, is not the very hottest. Anybody who describes it as 'desert-like' obviously does not know much about real hot deserts where even in the inhabited parts, the temps can reach 45 or 50. The highest ever recorded temp in the Philippines is only just past 40. Just about all the southern European countries, i.e. France, Spain, Portugal, Italy etc have all got hotter than that.

paulus
Posted
Posted

For me it's not the heat, although bad enough, it's the HUMIDITY.

But still more fun in da pilipinnes! -- Government guaranteed.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
She was also given bottled water and sandwiches. :thats-funny:

I predict a sudden rash of fainting spells at the airport once word gets out that if you faint you get FREE water and food ..... and as my asawa says all the time "Filipinos like free" ..... but they ain't alone just more persistent .....

Ever notice how you can get rid of an item no one would buy before by putting a tag on it "buy one ... take one" ..... even food about to expire will be swept off the shelves ..... once I saw SM tape together 2 jars of mayo with the "buy one ... take one" and they both had an expiration date of one week ..... now that's a heap of mayo to try to eat in one week ....  :mocking:  :mocking: 

:cheersty:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
She was also given bottled water and sandwiches.

Out of the frying pan, into the toilet . . if her reaction to Philippine sandwiches is anything like mine

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

For me it's not the heat, although bad enough, it's the HUMIDITY.

But still more fun in da pilipinnes! -- Government guaranteed.

Yes. High humidity make heat much worse.

(I could stand a 100 C DRY sauna much longer time than a 60 C WET sauna.)

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

In Canada we have a humidex caculator +30 and 60% humidity = 40c

+40 and 70% humidity = +63 

So I agree the humidity makes it feel way hotter because at +30 and 10 % humidity I,m very comfortable

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I don't even think they track the humidex in the Philippines.  Humidity is just a given.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don't even think they track the humidex in the Philippines.  Humidity is just a given.

Some SE Asians, who AFFORD having car, don't have any thermometer!!!  So some Asians seem to see heat as given too  :)