Anna
Posted
Posted

how safe is cebu?

Jake
Posted
Posted

how safe is cebu?

Is your question related to this topic: English, as a second language?  Or are you concern with personal

safety living in Cebu?

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

how safe is cebu?

If you are considering learning English in Cebu then my guess is you as an Asian woman would be safer than men from the West. Hundreds of Koreans come to Cebu every year to learn English and I don't remember reading about any of them in the news having problems with being robbed like I have with Westerners.

• Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

how safe is cebu?

If you are considering learning English in Cebu then my guess is you as an Asian woman would be safer than men from the West. Hundreds of Koreans come to Cebu every year to learn English and I don't remember reading about any of them in the news having problems with being robbed like I have with Westerners.

you just haven't been around enough then. Or you have not comprehended the concept of selective perception, which means that you, as a westerner, are far more likely to notice other westerners than anyone else, in the same way that when a woman is pregnant, suddenly the streets are filled with other pregnant women, or if you have just bought a Toyota automobile, then suddenly you see loads of them, everywhere.

loads of Koreans are victims of crime. They are just not reported as much. Especially the murder rate of Koreans is high, because they are much more involved in the underworld than westerners are.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

how safe is cebu?

you just haven't been around enough then. Or you have not comprehended the concept of selective perception, which means that you, as a westerner, are far more likely to notice other westerners than anyone else, in the same way that when a woman is pregnant, suddenly the streets are filled with other pregnant women, or if you have just bought a Toyota automobile, then suddenly you see loads of them, everywhere.

loads of Koreans are victims of crime. They are just not reported as much. Especially the murder rate of Koreans is high, because they are much more involved in the underworld than westerners are.

Yes, but that's their OWN fault,

similar as several LOAN SHARKS Indians have been murdered because of their actions.

Are not criminal Koreans attacked much too?

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

how safe is cebu?

If the murder rate of Koreans is high in the Philippines but not reported as much as Westerns then how do you know their murder rate is high?  Do you have a secret source that the rest of us don't have? 

• Like 2

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

there have been several articles over the years about the high rate of killings in the Philippines, in the Korean English language press. It seems quite a lot of them are mob-related. Seems to me more Koreans are involved in gansterism in the Philippines than westerners.

take this murder of a Korean woman in her mid 20shttp://rokdrop.com/2014/04/09/abducted-korean-woman-found-murdered-in-the-philippines/ , only last month. Had it been a western woman, it would have featured much more prominently on forums like this. Here it didn't feature at all. Nobody noticed it, or at least nobody posted a topic about it. Nobody was interested. Why should they be? She was neither white, nor a Filipina. Had she been either one of those, her murder would likely have been covered here.

this forum's title is Philippines Expats Forum when in practice, it is of course Philippines Expats That Happen to Come From Western Countries Forum. Asian expats and visitors to the Philippines - and Thailand as well - comfortably outnumber westerners, always have, and always will. Just on a numbers game alone, obviously Koreans are going to be more likely to victims of crime in the Philippines than people from any other country. There is more of them as foreigners in the Philippines, than anyone else.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I'm have no way of knowing with absolute certainty, but I doubt that an expat from Korea would be turned away. After all, Filipinos are welcome and they are not even expats. I realise there are some forum staff who do report on things but this is not a news site. I believe anyone can report anything concerning the Philippines as long as decorum is observed. If this were a "not a sparrow falls" type news site, I would be looking for an expats forum elsewhere, because this would not be it. :tiphat:

I'm sure it's not predjudice but a matter of relevance and time constraints that the womans story was not reported. If the story, and others like it does interest you, I recommend an online newspaper subscription. :)

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

how safe is cebu?

If the murder rate of Koreans is high in the Philippines but not reported as much as Westerns then how do you know their murder rate is high?  Do you have a secret source that the rest of us don't have? 

WARNING -- RANT ALERT

OK, here we go again......I find both views, observation and comments valid on both sides of the argument.

Americano's direct observation of foreign women (Koreans) studying in Cebu is described as relatively safe.  

Whippy's comments is based on logic and of course his 1st hand experience.  Sure, for any given area where

there is a higher concentration of foreigners, that area will be prone to criminal activities.  But of course, there

are always an exception to that rule.

One being local enforcement and record keeping.  Many numbers or accountability of a typical PNP police

station can be manipulated to hide their poor performance of protecting its' people, including the foreigners.

And news media outlets can further exaggerate the story -- crime against foreigners, or foreigners who commit

the crimes.  Can you see guys, that both sides can be right, as well as wrong.  It really depends on perception

on the individual trying to contribute comments to this thread.

However, what is slapping me in the face this morning is the way Whippy's attitude of getting his point across:

you just haven't been around enough then. Or you have not comprehended the concept of selective

perception.  I don't know about you guys, but that sounds adversarial to me and hence, Americano's response

in kind.  This thread can develop into another bickering, unless I call you guys out.

Whippy, you have been given a polite warning from the Boss earlier this morning about you comments: if you

want to do a couple of girls a day: http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/18915-i-spend-months-each-time-in-the-philippines/page-2#entry120014.   You have a proven track record

from the other forum and the BossMan will take no chit from nobody who likes to stir things up (troll).  

Please check your attitude at the door.  Once again I used the politically correct word of PLEASE.     

Rant over.......for now.

Edited by Jake
attitude check
  • Like 4

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

I'm have no way of knowing with absolute certainty, but I doubt that an expat from Korea would be turned away. After all, Filipinos are welcome and they are not even expats.

of course they wouldn't be 'turned away', but it is doubtful they would want to be around these so obviously western oriented forums in the first place, even if their English is totally perfect.

they will have noticed that WE are not interested in THEM. They must have observed that when Japanese, Chinese and Korean expats get robbed and/or murdered, there is this deafening silence on the so-called expat forums, compared to when an American, British, Australian or German expat does. Even though there are miles more Japanese, Chinese, and Korean people in the Philippines at any one time.