Bacolod Gran 75 Years Of Age Goes College

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This is an inspiration to all. 75 years old and has the mind set to achieve what she always wanted. Three cheers for Lola  :cheersty:

Grandmother, 75, goes to college in Philippines

For Felicidad Hilado-Casingal, 75 and a grandmother, age is no hindrance in pursuing higher education and to be more precise, earning a college degree.

And it's no big deal either for Casingal, more popularly known as "Lola (Grandma) Fely, to her family and residents in a "barangay" (village) in Bacolod City, Negros Occidental province in the Visayas in Central Philippines.

Lola Fely said: "I want to prove to my family that I am still capable, that I am still strong despite my age. I am still alive, so why stop now?"

To achieve, this Lola Fely enrolled as a freshman - a scholar at that - at the Bacolod City College where she attended classes starting in June to obtain a degree in Office Administration.

She recalled that even at an early age and later as a housewife, she was determined to obtain education.

For instance, Lola Fely disclosed that as a young girl growing up in their hometown of Sum-ag also in Negros Occidental, she had to walk a total of four kilometres daily to and from school to attend classes at the elementary school at the town proper in the 1950s.

Marriage and helping raise a family, Lola Fely said, did not stop her from pursuing high school education. She achieved this by taking advantage of the Alternative Learning System offered by the government for out-of-school youths and passing the equivalency tests conducted by the Department of Education in 2013.

This paved the way for her decision to enroll as freshman and pursue a course at the Bacolod City College armed with a scholarship granted by the city government, according to Lola Fely.

She revealed that one of her daughters had qualms about her decision to obtain a college degree, mainly due to her age and because she would be attending classes with students young enough to be her grandchildren.

But Lola Fely was just as determined as she emphasised: "We are all equal when it comes to education."

More than that, Lola Fely said she was determined to get a college education not to land a job but to gain more knowledge and to serve as a good example to her grandchildren.

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I had a classmate in photography school named Alma Moore. She was 70 years old. Her desire to learn photography was to go to the Arctic Circle to photography polar bears. 

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The only thing we never get to old to learn is that we get too old to learn.

:attention: