Aussie In Toledo Prison

RBM
Posted
Posted

I have just finished a second visit to Lori being held in Torledo prison. He was grateful for the little food I bought him and mostly for the company.

Guys he really needs company, he especially asked me to try get people to visit him. Particularly if any Aussies out there. This time as was off visiting hours I could only stand outside and chat. He held my hand for the duration and had tears in his eyes.

He has been incarcerated since Feb, no trail yet.I am the second visitor. Lori has endured some sever beatings, he currently wears a neck brace. Supposedly the instigator here has been moved so thankfully beatings momently have stopped

From what I understand from him, and his attorney his charges could well be fabricated, seems guilty of nothing more than stupidity, or just not being careful enough.

Currently at my request his land lady is seeking to negotiate a settlement with the complainant. Unfortunately Lori has very limited funds and indications are his family not interested or unable to assist.

WOULD ANYBODY OUT THERE KNOW OF ANY AUSSIE CHARITY that may help him out? The Aussie embassy do not seem to be much help.

It's a pretty grim prison with even grimmer inmates, my heart goes out. If anybody able visit I be happy to advise what he is in need of. But mostly company!

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

A quick Google search shows very serious allegations. I would think Australian charity's wont be interested in helping at all as a settlement to dismiss legal proceedings I doubt would come under the umbrella of charity. Not sure where to go from here and the problem is who does one believe, if the allegations are true or false the problem is who would put up money in case they are giving a free get out jail card to someone who deserves to be there.

I have no idea what really happened and are not making judgments but at this stage you would think the expat community around Toledo would offer some assistance even if its just a visit and food considering he has been there for months. I know there is at least one expat run bar there, surely the expats have talked about this case but seems none have done any follow up for what ever reason.

RBM
Posted
Posted

A quick Google search shows very serious allegations. I would think Australian charity's wont be interested in helping at all as a settlement to dismiss legal proceedings I doubt would come under the umbrella of charity. Not sure where to go from here and the problem is who does one believe, if the allegations are true or false the problem is who would put up money in case they are giving a free get out jail card to someone who deserves to be there.

I have no idea what really happened and are not making judgments but at this stage you would think the expat community around Toledo would offer some assistance even if its just a visit and food considering he has been there for months. I know there is at least one expat run bar there, surely the expats have talked about this case but seems none have done any follow up for what ever reason.

Yes jollygoodfellow, agree entirely.

First visit I went to the expats bar and talked to the owner. He said general view including his own is the guy guilty of stupidity only. As you say who knows. When I requested him to try encourage some expats to visit it was clear this would not be easy. Supposedly he never mixed with other expats and very much a loner, further his appearance would not endure him to be approached as a friendly guy.

Needless to say he is in a bond, the money required was suggested by his attorney to me directly. Simply to encourage the complainant to with drawer her charges. If not a lengthly internment seems likely.

For what it's worth I would judge him guilty of stupidity, the rape charge has been withdrawn due to lack of medical evidence.

I have sent a further message to his brother in Aussie on fb

Americano
Posted
Posted

The rape charge has been withdrawn so what other charge or charges remain?  And, what is his story?

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

The rape charge has been withdrawn so what other charge or charges remain?  And, what is his story?

From what I understand (he is showing signs of confusion) he says he was ill, in hospital and checked out early for financial reasons. A Filipino he knew organized his sister to help him out as he was bed ridden. She stayed in, he explained she had ID showing she was 18. He supported her schooling an she maintained his house, often together with her family, he says.

He claims her step mother is behind it as she wanted a loan from him.He had no money to lend. His story is shortly after this refusal the police detained him for rape. Medical evidence showed differently, according he as I understand he is charged with some sexual offense, she being 17. Interestingly his landlady supports his version totally, told me it's extortion.

If anybody in this area and able visit him I think it be very humane, god knows he needs it regardless guilty or innocent

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
RBM
Posted
Posted

An update.

Lowrie has been released on humanitarian grounds how ever must report in regularly to authorities.

Sorry this is all the info I have.

• Like 3

fred
Posted
Posted

RBM.

I think you should be proud of yourself in the way that you have treated this guy whilst incarcerated.. No one is guilty of anything until proven guilty.. Well done!

Unfortunately, in this country it can take years and years to have a judgement made either way whilst on remand in extreme conditions.

There but for the grace of God ,go us all.

• Like 4