The Cost Of The Philippine Dream

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike!

Would you say that, disregarding the number of toys, your quality of life is the same?  

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

For me, I never got ahead until I started working overseas. I was able to get out of debt, pay off the Ex and get started properly. Now my dream would cost me 40-50% in the US vs what I have now here.  It is costly getting set up but once that is done it is significantly lower than the day to day in the US.

• Like 4

ITSMRBILL
Posted
Posted

that's what im looking at I MUST get the monkey off my back finally...if I don't they will take from my future wife as added income and I will pay more per month for the back child support bill and my new wife too ...that ruined marriage 2 and 3 of mine. it wont happen again because when I get there I will have no monkey to worry about. I figure on onetime costs too. anything I get I will be happy for and feel blessed because its more than I will ever have here-that's the way I figure it. I was thinking about Cebu or Davao city or san rafeal bulaclan? I know some ppl (girls) there and they all want me to come to them lol.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was just watching a video on Yahoo Finance where it was shown that the yearly cost of the American Dream has now risen to a point requiring an annual salary of just over $130,000 USD.  I imagine the home country for most of our members would be similar in cost. 

I wonder what the requirements were for the American Dream. That seems very high to me. I looked up some data on household incomes and in 2011 only 11% of households had income of $130,000 or more. The median household income was $45k - $50k.

Regarding my personal situation. My lifestyle is completely different retired in the Philippines than when I was working fulltime. Back when I was working fulltime I was putting away a nice percentage of my salary into retirement savings and had less time to spend money. Now I am trying to enjoy my retirement. I am spending more overall but spending less on day to day expenses and spending more on travel and entertainment.

What was the American Dream?

I don't have the article any more (deleted by accident while cleaning out my machine ) but it was about having a house the white picket fence, nice furniture, recent vehicle to drive, family with 2.4 kids, monthly saving for vacation, retirement and college for the kids, and the food they ate.  Basically the 1950s American Dream.

Or in other words emoticons...:

:photo-109:  :bedtime2:  :3_8_14[1]:  :3_12_31[1]:  :1 (72):  :508:  :36_1_68[1]:  :714_full_of_crap:  :17403:  :chickendance:

I myself like Chicken Dance...   :mocking:

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
The following information may help when doing a cost comparison with the Philippines. It represents a typical middle class American family annual budget for a household with 2,5 children. 

Housing – shelter – $10,023

Pensions, Social Security – $5,027

Housing – utilities, fuels, public services – $3,477

Food – food at home – $3,465

Transportation – vehicle purchases – $3,244

Transportation – other expenses and transportation – $3,130

Healthcare – $2,853

Entertainment – $2,698

Food – food away from home – $2,668

Transportation – gasoline, motor oil – $2,384

Apparel and Services – $1,881

Cash Contributions (optional retirement and cash savings) – $1,821