Wanna Fly A Drone(Model Aircraft)?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

seems that the new upcoming rules /regulations regrading DRONE FLYING may retard the growth of this pasttime /hobby.. 

well you read the article and decide

Hundreds of hobbyists “piloting” radio-controlled airplanes will have to comply with the memorandum of the Civil Aviation and Authority of the Philippines on unmanned aircraft vehicle or pay a fine of up to P500,000 per flight.

Capt. Beda Badiola, CAAP-Assistant Director General and head of Flight Standard Inspectorate Service, said the regulation also covered amateur videographers or photographers, researchers, geodetic survey firms and broadcast media.

Even before drone became a byword especially in the military, remote-controlled planes have been a popular “sport” among closely-knit circles of enthusiasts who have built and modified kits on scale aircraft from  World War II-era T-28 Trojan “Tora Tora” and B-25 Mitchell to the turbine-powered F-15 Eagle and F-22 Raptor fighter jet models.

In December last year, modellers held the first Philippine R/C Aircraft Congress at the Angeles City Flying Club in Magalang, Pampanga, where flight manuevers included aerobatics in a mini-version of an international air show.

................................................................................................................................................

Under Memorandum Circular 21 series of 2014 dated June 26, 2014, drone owners or operators are  required to register and secure a certification to operate from the agency.

To be certified as UAV controller,

an applicant must qualify for a radio operator’s certificate of proficiency;

have been awarded a passed rating in an aviation license theory examination;

have been awarded a passed rating in an instrument theory examination;

completed a training course on the operation of the type of UAV that he/she posses to operate; have at least five hours experience operating UAVs outside controlled airspace.

The applicant must also obtain at least one of three certifications:

Flight crew license with a command instrument training;

Military qualification equivalent to a license;

or Air traffic control license.

...............................................................................................................................................................

The directive likewise requires a detailed description of the UAV and purpose for its use.

Under Philippine Civil Aviation Regulations, “any operators found violating rules will be fined between P300,000 to P500,000 per unauthorized flight depending on the grave of violations”.

The circular also banned flying UAVs over populated places, restricted corridors such as Malacañan Palace, airports and no-fly zones of military camps.

The CAAP defines a Large UAV as unmanned airship with an envelope capacity greater than 100 cubic meters; a Micro UAV as UAV with a gross weight of 100 grams or less; and Small UAV as  neither a large UAV nor a micro UAV.

http://manilastandardtoday.com/2014/07/28/drone-memo-bugs-plane-hobbyists/

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Sounds like the end of radio-controlled airplanes in the Philippines.  What's the problem, politicians are afraid they will be targeted by UAV's because of their corruption?

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Sounds like another way to generate revenues. If you can afford to purchase a radio controlled airplane, you can afford the fees.

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wonder if the law makers know that radio controlled aircraft are sold in some malls which are designed for adults and children. Last year I purchased a radio controlled helicopter for P1,000. at a mall on Bohol.  Sounds like it would come under this law which is ridiculous.  Small RC's which are just toys and even small model aircraft shouldn't have been included in the law. My helicopter is only for indoor use since its light weight and not powerful enough to fly against any wind so I won't be flying into any restricted airspace. Hell, you can't even have a hobby without the government screwing it up.

Can small children still fly a kite or is that illegal now too?

Edited by Americano
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

At least in the Philippines you can still get a license.  I hear in the US, they are banning any non-commercial drone activities and even the commercial ones will be highly regulated.  In other words, no more hobby flying!

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

At least in the Philippines you can still get a license.  I hear in the US, they are banning any non-commercial drone activities and even the commercial ones will be highly regulated.  In other words, no more hobby flying!

"no more hobby flying!"  I don't believe there will be no more hobby flying in the US because its very big business there with 10's of thousands of hobbyists.  What is your source of information?

Bob,

You know, "I hear" is not good enough. Forum readers want the facts and sources.

Edited by Americano

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Since it was broadcast on the CBS, ABC and NBC news I watched out of Buffalo, it is a little hard to find links. If you don't want to believe, that's fine. I don't post hearsay but rather what I have heard or read on the news and I did it as a service to those who are not aware. The USA is not my country so I don't really care and I'm not gonna kill myself trying to find other sources.

• Like 1