Any Recommendation For A Good Cebuano Language School In Cebu?

Twobitgeno
Posted
Posted

I am moving to Cebu and am interested in finding a school that teaches Cebuano (Binisaya- Visayan.)

I am aware that a large percentage of the population speak English, but I would love to learn the local language, at least a little.  I would prefer a classroom type setting with other "Beginners" over private one-on-one lessons.  I am new to the site, so forgive me if this topic has been addressed in the past; I did search various forums and help links, but was unable (probably due to my unfamiliarity) to find what I was searching for.  Any help/advice is appreciated, fellow members.  

Thanks, Geno.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

I am moving to Cebu and am interested in finding a school that teaches Cebuano (Binisaya- Visayan.)

I am aware that a large percentage of the population speak English, but I would love to learn the local language, at least a little.  I would prefer a classroom type setting with other "Beginners" over private one-on-one lessons.  I am new to the site, so forgive me if this topic has been addressed in the past; I did search various forums and help links, but was unable (probably due to my unfamiliarity) to find what I was searching for.  Any help/advice is appreciated, fellow members.  

Thanks, Geno.

Hey TwobitGeno,

I'm sure my fellow members will come to your rescue.  They probably already know all the cuss words in Binisaya-Visayan.

I should know -- on a daily basis, my wife teaches me who's the boss with those rapid fire Tagalog P words......he, he.

As far as you becoming a smooth operator with the Visayan ladies, I strongly recommend Dave HoundDriver who hound

dogs throughout the island chain.  He's worse than a sailor and I'm proud of him.......he, he. 

This one is a homemade project by GregZ.  Obviously his oral language skills is pretty good:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/13277-english-cebuano-flash-cards/#entry72390

And finally, check this out: http://www.philippines-expats.com/forum/13-language-and-local-dialects/

Respectfully -- Jake

PS -- can you fix my speeding ticket now?  Joke lang pare....he, he.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Hi Twobitgeno... Well, like me, you are on a search for the most effective way to learn this dialect. I checked with my (Bisayan speaking) wife just now and she does not know of, nor has she heard of any classroom setting you describe. Possibly another member might be familiar with one.

But, I have been picking up on the language with a combination of 2 approaches. One of them is a slow assimilation through my (only too patient) wife and an on line course. When I get there to Davao, I hope to be good and ready to mix with the locals and I know they are always very, very appreciative of efforts we foreigners make when they hear us trying to speak their dialect. I'm about 30-40% fluent right now.

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted
interested in finding a school that teaches Cebuano

You will have trouble finding a school.  The locals only learn the language from speaking it and I believe there are no classes on the language.  Your best bet is to find a Filipino that has teaching ability.  It is not for just anyone to teach.  I have trouble learning from my wife.  Her expectation is that I will remember tomorrow what she teaches today.  :1 (103):  <---- This is her.  Not happening.  I am very willing, just not able.  The Italian, Spanish and German keep trying to come out.

They probably already know all the cuss words in Binisaya-Visayan.

I know the nouns for particular body parts and verbs for the actions involving them best.  They are the easiest to learn and most important to me getting what I want. :thumbsup:   You won't find them in the flash cards. :mocking: 

Thanks for the link to my previous post on the flash cards Jake.  It is still valid and I have refined the cards a bit.  They are Cebuano with just a little Cagayan de Oro influence as my wife is from Cebu City with college in CDO.  I do not know how well they transfer to Davao.  One set has Tagalog words also.  They are 5 packs divided verbs & adjectives, food and related, some basic sentences, general words & phrases, and pronouns.  Good luck. 

The cards have me up to about 65% in recognition, meaning that I can understand most of the time what the topic is.

Sadly my recall is only about 10%, meaning that I have trouble formulating sentences.  I do get the point across when it is time to bathe, eat, sleep and a few others though, so basics are covered.

and an on line course

Do you have more information??? :3_8_14[1]:

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Put these mp3,s on your phone       https://app.box.com/s/3878f6bd42ce9a3a6b72

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Greg, at the risk of sounding like an Ad...I PM'ed you on how I found the course. Best of luck, friend and cheers!!

All the best...Steve

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Thanks Steve.  I think it is okay to post.  I will put it on and see. :thumbsup:   Appreciate it... and I think other can benefit from the sharing.

So, check Bud Brown  on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCDB566D62390993C  <--- This link is to some of his videos.  If you want the course it is at http://essentialcebuano.com/ - $97 for the everything package.  I don't know if I will try it.

He sounds good to me, but my wife says he is making it sound choppy and some of the emphasis is incorrect in the YouTube videos. Sounds like he has the basics covered though and is the best course I've seen yet.  I'm sure the small adjustments would be easy.  Have you tried it in Cebu yet Steve?  Anyone else have an asawa with an opinion of his speach? 

I think it is important that the pronunciation be clear to us newbies trying to learn; maybe that is some of what is catching my wife's ear wrong.  My trouble when she is attempting to teach me is that her pronunciation is not clear enough to me so I can tell if a word has a 'b' or a 'd' in it, for example.  So who would be better to learn from? :nudie:

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Greg, at the risk of sounding like an Ad...I PM'ed you on how I found the course. Best of luck, friend and cheers!!

All the best...Steve

How was the course ?

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I'm about 60% done. Nothing else available out there - and lors knows I've searched...(Rosetta only has Tagalog) and it's working for me. I'm finally past all the basics and into sentence structure. Having a Filipina wife (who is patient-reeall patient) has been helpful. It just has to be a pet peeve. Like Jake always tells me-I'm not in Kansas anymore-lol.

• Like 3

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

interested in finding a school that teaches Cebuano

You will have trouble finding a school.  The locals only learn the language from speaking it and I believe there are no classes on the language.  Your best bet is to find a Filipino that has teaching ability.  It is not for just anyone to teach.  I have trouble learning from my wife.  Her expectation is that I will remember tomorrow what she teaches today.  1%20(103).gif  <---- This is her.  Not happening.  I am very willing, just not able.  The Italian, Spanish and German keep trying to come out.

They probably already know all the cuss words in Binisaya-Visayan.

I know the nouns for particular body parts and verbs for the actions involving them best.  They are the easiest to learn and most important to me getting what I want. :thumbsup:   You won't find them in the flash cards. :mocking: 

Thanks for the link to my previous post on the flash cards Jake.  It is still valid and I have refined the cards a bit.  They are Cebuano with just a little Cagayan de Oro influence as my wife is from Cebu City with college in CDO.  I do not know how well they transfer to Davao.  One set has Tagalog words also.  They are 5 packs divided verbs & adjectives, food and related, some basic sentences, general words & phrases, and pronouns.  Good luck. 

The cards have me up to about 65% in recognition, meaning that I can understand most of the time what the topic is.

Sadly my recall is only about 10%, meaning that I have trouble formulating sentences.  I do get the point across when it is time to bathe, eat, sleep and a few others though, so basics are covered.

and an on line course

Do you have more information??? :3_8_14[1]:

I have to concur with the above comments. What I usually do, is learn a few common phrases everytime I visit, and then practice, and add to them each visit.

• Like 1