Recommended Places To Stay For Young Guy?

Scotsman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi,

I'm considering a move to the Phils. Having not yet been I have no idea where to go check out first to see if I like it.

I'm 30, UK citizen, and I've been living in Bangkok for the past year and love it there.

Love the big city vibe, that there's lots going on, plenty of nightlife options, decent public transport, plenty of dating opportunities and things to see / do.

However visa restrictions mean it likely won't be an option for a while so Phils seems like a fun place to check out.

Some info:

• I will have funds from abroad (approx $2,600 USD p/m)
  • I need reasonable Wifi both in my apartment and in coffee shops.
  • Nightlife and socializing options essential (not interested in P4P)
  • Somewhere that it's easy to meet locals to hang out with and women to date (English will be essential as I've none of the local lingo yet)
  • Looking to live a similar life to Bangkok (i.e. nice air con apartment that's not too expensive, laundry done for me, eat out every night at local joints, go out to bars / socializing / dating 2-4 times per week).
  • Would like somewhere that's relatively safe if you're not stupid.

What places can you recommend for me?

Manila is an obvious choice and Cebu has been mentioned to me but so far I know little about it.

Would love to hear your suggestions.....

Thanks.

Edited by Scotsman

davewe
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I'm considering a move to the Phils. Having not yet been I have no idea where to go check out first to see if I like it.

I'm 30, UK citizen, and I've been living in Bangkok for the past year and love it there.

Love the big city vibe, that there's lots going on, plenty of nightlife options, decent public transport, plenty of dating opportunities and things to see / do.

However visa restrictions mean it likely won't be an option for a while so Phils seems like a fun place to check out.

Some info:

• Somewhere that it's easy to meet locals to hang out with and women to date (English will be essential as I've none of the local lingo yet)
  • Looking to live a similar life to Bangkok (i.e. nice air con apartment that's not too expensive, laundry done for me, eat out every night at local joints, go out to bars / socializing / dating 2-4 times per week).

Manila is an obvious choice and Cebu has been mentioned to me but so far I know little about it.

Thanks.

Manila and Cebu are options if you like a big city vibe, but of course they are significantly more expensive. But with your budget, as I mentioned in your other thread, you can live anywhere in the Philippines.

Personally you could not pay me to live in Manila, but then I am not 30. Cebu City is more livable but even that is a bit much for me, as far as pollution and traffic.

As far as women, at 30 with a little money, if you are even remotely decent looking you will have a hard time getting out of the airport single lol. Most of us on this forum are not 30 (unless you double it), are not that decent looking and don't even necessarily have more cash than you, and well - let's just say we've all managed.

Personally I like the smaller cities but for night life Manila and Cebu probably can't be beat. You might keep your options open and wander around. It's a great country outside of those two cities.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Some info:

Thanks.

I have noticed over the last 6 months a much larger group of males aged between early 20s and mid 30s in the Cebu region. I have a feeling our little secret is finally out.

• Like 1

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

OK so I will research on Manila and Cebu to begin with and maybe check both out before committing.

Traffic and pollution isn't a big deal for me as I say I love BKK but I've heard that Manila makes Bangkok feel like paradise, 

RBM
Posted
Posted

My guess would be Cebu be more suitable. Central location and far less congested than Manila. Much cheaper to live.

Having said that pollution and squaller are very apparent. Still this does not seem a priority for you.

Very good night life and no shortage chicks as other members have pointed out.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Rent a studio apartment in Makati - say the Greenbelt area. Good shops, restaurants, and abundant nightlife, heaving with totty, all in walking distance. Wifi as good as you will get (which is never very good!) and available in coffee shops.

You can always move elsewhere later but that is where I would start. 

• Like 1

BritishPinay
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Some info:

Thanks.

Hi, I'm a UK citizen as well. 

I've mentioned this before in another thread but since the info being asked is pretty much the same I'll just copy and paste with minimal edits: 

I lived in Taguig, Manila for a year - it's just next to Bonifacio Global City (a.k.a. The Fort) and I had a two-bedroom 55 sqm flat in a new resort-style condominium and my rent was only P25,000/month inclusive of all dues, cable tv and internet. Utility bills came up to about P3,000/mo (includes electricity, water, gas).  

Living at The Fort will suit you perfectly - it's clean, not prone to floods, has all the amenities you'd ever want/need, it's only a few minutes away from Makati, it has the best Hospital (St. Luke's) in the city, and plenty of bars and restaurants where plenty of single, educated young women hang out.  

You might also want to check out Rockwell in Makati. 

I moved to Cebu last year because after a year of living in Manila, I just couldn't stand the traffic and pollution anymore. I'm more of a nature lover than a city girl so I love how living in a hill house in Cebu allows me to go island hopping, go to beaches, parks, etc whilst also enjoying city amenities. So for me Cebu is better, but that's just me. 

Good luck!  :attention:

• Like 1

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

I lived in Taguig, Manila for a year - it's just next to Bonifacio Global City (a.k.a. The Fort) and I had a two-bedroom 55 sqm flat in a new resort-style condominium and my rent was only P25,000/month inclusive of all dues, cable tv and internet. Utility bills came up to about P3,000/mo (includes electricity, water, gas).  

Living at The Fort will suit you perfectly - it's clean, not prone to floods, has all the amenities you'd ever want/need, it's only a few minutes away from Makati, it has the best Hospital (St. Luke's) in the city, and plenty of bars and restaurants where plenty of single, educated young women hang out.  

I've heard about "The Fort" on another forum and it was actually NOT recommended as although it was a nice area people said it was too far away from everything and apparently no one knew where it was (as in the locals) or were willing to travel there.

Having never been I have no idea how accurate this is?  

At 28,000PHP per month it's actually not that cheap either IMO.

At less than half the price I had a central apartment in BKK close to major transport links, free wifi and cable TV, pool, gym, massage, poolside bar, grocery store, 2 restaurants which deliver to my door 24/7 and laundry on site.

I'd be disappointed to pay more for less in the Philippines which if i understand correctly is supposed to be a cheaper country, no? 

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Well, actually, NO, not necessarily. A poorer country in terms of GDP per head, but with the most expensive electricity in SE Asia, and generally high prices for "luxury" items. 

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

Thanks for clarifying. 

Apartment prices I'm seeing online are quite expensive. Not what I'd expect to pay in SE Asia for an apartment.