Filipino English Meanings Other Than You Would Expect

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

"On the electric fan."  "Off the electric fan."  On and off are not verbs and why do they always say electric fan when there's no gasoline fan?

"Open the computer."  I can remove the cover if that's what you mean.

"I will cook you a food."  A food means one food. Maybe you mean some food.

"In all fairness."  My wife use to say this often until I started asking her questions about its meaning. She couldn't explain its meaning.

"You are so slang."  This means you have a strong accent.

"Come bock tomorrow."  Some how back has became bock in the Philippines.

"Do you have that shirt in a mejum?   How did medium become mejum?  Small and Large are pronounced correctly but not medium.

Edited by Americano

intrepid
Posted
Posted

"Until Now" quite often with many references or activities.

She said she never knew how to swim until now.  Okay then lets go swimming.

Meaning she never learned to swim.  I was really confused for a long time and still she uses "until now" at the end of a sentence.  But now I understand her meaning.

Also still using he or she interchangeably.   I learned early on that in Tagalog there is no he and she.  Hence the confusion for many.

• Like 3

Miguk
Posted
Posted

"For Awhile" - cracks me up every time.

"Avail" - to take advantage of an offer

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

"Until Now" quite often with many references or activities.

She said she never knew how to swim until now.  Okay then lets go swimming.

Meaning she never learned to swim.  I was really confused for a long time and still she uses "until now" at the end of a sentence.  But now I understand her meaning.

Also still using he or she interchangeably.   I learned early on that in Tagalog there is no he and she.  Hence the confusion for many.

There's no exact word for he or she but they do have male and female words. 

Male CR      Female CR

LALAKI                 BABAE

And, if they went to school they have been learning English, which includes he and she usage since the 1st grade so there's no excuse for not knowing if a man is a he or she.

• Like 1

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

Although we communicate numerous times daily via text and facebook, I haven't been with my girl since she returned from AU to Manila in February ... damn this thread in particular makes me miss her more than any other ... how funny is that!

• Like 3

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

"I don't have load"

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

Filipinos pronounce one, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and nine correctly so why does it sound like they are trying to spit when they say two?  I think they make their lips round and then put their tongue in and out of the hole to make the sound.  This produces a mixture of the word two and a spitting sound.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

To true 'Cano,,,its fun listening to a Pinoy pronounce the 'f" "peelings, nothing but peelings"....then again as a fellow yank,,,lets see you pronounce "Karuhatan" or any number of other Tagalog words with the right inflection. I am sure we are a continual source of amusement to our Filipino friends lolol :mocking:  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:hystery: The one I like and get get the most of, is the "Later only"  When either of my Girls, use this expression, I Know, the thing I ask, will have to be done by me! I sort of use it as a yardstick, to gauge, if I,  was supposed, to do the task myself, in the first Place.  :rolleyes:

Morning All :tiphat:  :morning1:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

As a young and naive sailor in my hometown of Olongapo, I was asked by a nice female attendant if I want

a massage with sensation?  Confused, I said no thank you.  

Yeah, I was a dumb chit back then.....he, he.