Filipino English Meanings Other Than You Would Expect

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

And yet, through their learning of English, they are sometimes taught to say certain words literally as they are spelled (not the casual way we say them-lol)

like...com FORT able / Squirrel (pronounced squi-Rell) / choc-o-LATE (late as in not early).

I don't correct her with my casual way of talking and say-that's the proper way-besides, it sounds cute-lol :yes:

On the flip side, I am miles away from attaining bilingual skills-so kudos :thumbsup: to this skill they have to all be proud of.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

I always analyze strange sounding English before I make a comment or correct it.  For, example when my wife says "on the light" or "off the light"  I know on and off are not verbs so its not a complete sentence, but if she says "turn on the light" like most Americans do then its not correct either. There's nothing to turn.  In the past you could turn on a light or TV but now that is no longer possible.  My TV you press a button on the remote and press the switch for the ceiling light. In these cases I don't try to correct her but I still tell her its incorrect English.  Open the computer is a completely different matter. Evidently teachers are teaching that to them too since its so wide spread.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Some will say that their Filipina is different because of where she lives but from reading this topic, I see similarities from north to south to east to west.

There is another topic on how do you know if she is filipina, and here too, I see the same. The Filipinas in Canada carry the same habits such as selfies, food pictures, and yappy dogs being ignored.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

And yet, through their learning of English, they are sometimes taught to say certain words literally as they are spelled (not the casual way we say them-lol)

like...com FORT able / Squirrel (pronounced squi-Rell) / choc-o-LATE (late as in not early).

I don't correct her with my casual way of talking and say-that's the proper way-besides, it sounds cute-lol :yes:

On the flip side, I am miles away from attaining bilingual skills-so kudos :thumbsup: to this skill they have to all be proud of.

I'm at the Filipins side concerning this, I blame the English SPELLING  :)  which DON'T spell many of the words as they sound. (The French language have same "error". The (almost) only Swedish words, which are not spelled as they sound, are words borrowed from French/English...    :mocking:   (E g garage.)  

I suppouse many with English as first language have problem understanding when some Filipins spell ENGLISH words as they SOUND,

while I have no problem, because Filipins and Swedish pronounce the letters very similiar   =rather much different from English letters   :)

• 9 years later...
KrisT
Posted
Posted

Much to my dismay, I've learned that "cute" means homely here. Like telling a girl she "has a good personality". I still catch myself saying it.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, KrisT said:

Much to my dismay, I've learned that "cute" means homely here. Like telling a girl she "has a good personality". I still catch myself saying it.

Good morning Kris.  While certainly not against forum rules it is normally not a good idea to post on a thread that is very old (nine years in this case).  Better to just begin a new topic.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Good morning Kris.  While certainly not against forum rules it is normally not a good idea to post on a thread that is very old (nine years in this case).  Better to just begin a new topic.

Hell No.....I'm still a newbie here too....to this forum.

Met me Asawa in Saudi Arabia......She had to wear the Berka....Thought she was a good looking Saidi under the vail until her reply TagLish....knew I had to marry her.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, KrisT said:

lol who told you that? It means the same thing as it does in English, search "cute kaayo".

KrisT
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Kingpin said:

lol who told you that? It means the same thing as it does in English, search "cute kaayo".

The only person who counts, in my situation. :P My partner. Either way, I'm sunk.

• Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/18/2014 at 5:21 AM, Americano said:

Open the computer is a completely different matter. 

One could argue that 'open the computer' is correct, back in the day we used to 'open the command prompt' although it's probably more correct to say 'boot up the computer' (switch on isn't really correct).

It is definitely correct to say 'open Windows' though since Windows is a shell not an OS.

Edited by GeoffH