Own Property?

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

I recommend the story

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2014/08/18/1358822/44-pinoys-want-economic-cha-cha-poll
I live in constant fear that the owner of "my" property (for which I have a 25-year lease) will find a smarter lawyer than mine and find a way to kick me out. So the thought of having my name on the title is intriguing. Is there any real possibility that this could come about? I understand that we are to be only spectators in Philippine politics, but is there any legal way that we can help to pass such a resolution?
Of course, one way to gain permission to own Philippine property is to become a citizen. But, I've read somewhere that applying for Philippine citizenship would be taken by the US State Department as a renunciation of my US citizenship, and all the benefits (e.g., SS payments) of that citizenship.
Jon

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Jon,  You would not lose your US citizenship by becoming a citizen of the Philippines, or any other country for that matter.  The U.S. does not recognize any renunciation other than that in writing before a U.S. consular official.

A person wishing to renounce his or her U.S. citizenship must voluntarily and with intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship:

1. appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer,
  2. in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate); and
  3. sign an oath of renunciation

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/dual-nationality.html
Current law and policy

The current nationality laws of the United States do not specifically refer to dual nationality. The automatic acquisition or retention of a foreign nationality does not affect U.S. citizenship; however, under limited circumstances, the acquisition of a foreign nationality upon one's own application or the application of a duly authorized agent may cause loss of U.S. citizenship under Section 349 (a)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1481 (a)(1)].

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
under limited circumstances

Last I heard, that had to do with taking public office in the new country of citizenship, but you can look it up and tell us :-)

Edit:  The article says:

44 percent willing to open up the country to foreign ownership of lands and business establishments,

And 44 % is a long way from where we need to be on this.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/dual-nationality.html

Current law and policy

The current nationality laws of the United States do not specifically refer to dual nationality. The automatic acquisition or retention of a foreign nationality does not affect U.S. citizenship; however, under limited circumstances, the acquisition of a foreign nationality upon one's own application or the application of a duly authorized agent may cause loss of U.S. citizenship under Section 349 (a)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1481 (a)(1)].

I hold dual citzenship, passport for USA, and passport of Australia.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I split some of the posts into their own topic because I think the OP's question was specific to his situation.

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/19963-foreign-ownership-issues/

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

It strikes me as odd that not a single posting addresses my two original questions. I included the second paragraph so that I wouldn't be told to become a citizen, instead nearly all the responses focused on citizenship or the need for investment. All that after the moderator strips off my URL to a news article because it wasn't relevant. Not a good first experience for me. I suppose now I'll be flamed... To be fair, I did appreciate the comment that if the power-that-be wants me off my property, even if my name is on the title, they'd find a way, chillingly close to what BDO says.

post-4441-0-98479700-1408409154.jpg

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

All that after the moderator strips off my URL to a news article because it wasn't relevant.

I wouldn't judge the entire forum based on my mistake. I apologized, replaced your original post as you requested, and removed all the extraneous posts related to that and other posts not directly related to your specific situation. That's about as much as I can do. Put me in the non-perfect category. 

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

I avoid perfection myself as a top priority: don't want to piss off God.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I apologize also, I thought at least part of my post was relevant, sorry for the rest.