Marrying A Filipina? You Got Money?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

They don't actually think before they write some of these bills.  Just political grandstanding.  Anyone that can afford airfare over here has already proven to be worth more financially that a majority of the population here.  I mean no offense to the locals - but poverty is obviously rampant here.

...like I am going to marry a girl to take back to the US for prostitution?  Yeah... that is a productive way to pimp...  :p

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Proving one has good moral character is purely subjective with wide parameters. It can made a sticking point in their process...in other words-ca Ching!! (another way to get in the wallet, I think).

Why not check the good moral character of the OFW's employers-that could be an even deeper concern if they are looking out for the safety and well being of their women.

• Like 2

Julia
Posted
Posted

:no: :no: :no:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don't know if the congresswoman is generally hostile to foreigners; as governor, she did personally intervene to get Berger released when it was obvious (to everyone but the police) that it was physically impossible for the couple to be involved in the child's murder. But I believe all politicians are hostile to foreigners and that reflects the views of their constituency.

The fact is the Philippines, like every other euphemistically-described “developing” country in the world, has legions of women scamming lonely, mostly older foreigners. Sometimes it's the other way around but the latter palls in comparison to the former. Surely there are more pressing local matters. 

Well. Perhaps it's an other reason. Filipinos don't like foreigners come and marry the "best" Filipinas instead of them, and these Filipinos have VOTES, which we foreigners don't have...   :mocking:

Garcia earlier said some of the foreigners

The operative word is "some". Where there is smoke there is usually fire.

And to stop the BAD ones,

they make problems for the GOOD ones... :th_unfair:

It's similar with the law, which is made to stop human trafficing, which of course is a good intention,

BUT that law is much worse than that marriage law suggestion, because that STOPS GOOD intentions too, even has PRISON punishment for promoting good datingsites or other (profesional) actions to assist Filipinas to marry good foreigners!!!   :bash:  :1 (103):

(OTHERWICE I had a - suplement - idea how to assist foreigners finding GOOD LOCAL Filipinas and SETTLE in a poor region to assist the development of that region by add foreigners with capital and business knowledge there...  :th_unfair:  So I have to SKIP that part of my local development idea... 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
“(For some) the real motive for marriage is only to take advantage and exploit our women by making them work for the family and worse, by sending them to prostitution and other degrading and dehumanising occupations,” she said.

I have heard the rumors that 'some' filipinas get exploited but this is the first I hear that people go to the trouble of marrying them to exploit them.  Can she name one example?  I also know of people who 'promise' marriage to exploit girls but that will not change with this law.

Edit:  If the law passes, will the amount of money required be 'whatever the market will bear'? How about just auctioning off the filipinas to the highest bidder?  :sign0095:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

They are most often "exploited" by their own kabayan. I believe it is rare they are exploited by foreigners in the Philippines, much more often the other way around. The congresswoman has it bass-ackward.

BTW, this bill was first discussed here a year ago - http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/17155-new-mail-order-bride-law-in-the-works/

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I do know of one case of a Filipina being pimped by her foreign husband.

It was thirty years ago. A del Pilar bar girl who rejoiced in the name of Beautiful Body Letty married an Australian, and left for Australia.

She was beaten up, raped and made to work as a prostitute in King's Cross.

How do I know? Because she turned the tables - she had the guts to go to a TV station and blow the gaff - she named names, and got a very high profile on Oz TV.

That's the only case I know of.

As regards Berger, I have been told that Garcia was insistent on his arrest in the first place; she has certainly been involved in the hounding of the equally innocent couple who are about to be aquitted.

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Well it could be used by us single guys to advantage, say you are in a relationship with a filipina and she starts putting the pressure on for you to marry her, you can quote the relevant PI law and say sorry honey would love to marry you but don't have enough money and I am a bad bugger, :1 (103):  best you look elsewhere :bash:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

They are most often "exploited" by their own kabayan. I believe it is rare they are exploited by foreigners in the Philippines, much more often the other way around. The congresswoman has it bass-ackward.

BTW, this bill was first discussed here a year ago - http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/17155-new-mail-order-bride-law-in-the-works/

Yes. I know many Filipinas, who have been abandonded with kids by FILIPINO,

and I know two Filipinas, who has even KICKED OUT the FILIPINO father of their child, because they don't assist anything either with money or work, in opposite COST the Filipina money...

I suppouse that's a main reason many Filipinas say

"Never a Filipino again"

and turn to try to get a foreign husband...

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted
I don't know if the congresswoman is generally hostile to foreigners; as governor, she did personally intervene to get Berger released when it was obvious (to everyone but the police) that it was physically impossible for the couple to be involved in the child's murder.

Garcia had no option - her credibility had been called into question by three news organisations on Cebu after she handed presents to the three child (so-called) witnesses and publicly praised the Police for apprehending the "criminals" so quickly.

• Like 2