A Living Will Or The Real Thing?

dsphilip
Posted
Posted

Several months ago, I contacted a lawyer in Manila to have a will drawn up. I was told that the minimum charge would be something like U.S. $3,000. Since I am single with no dependents, my financial affairs are quite straightforward and I didn't proceed. Was just wondering if I can have a real will made at a more reasonable price (if so how much and where) or would a living will I make myself (and perhaps have notarized) be as good and legally valid? Any advice...much appreciated.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

There are programed forms from many office supply chains that are available for wills living trusts divorce power of attorney and other simple things.most are less than $50. and work like the Tax online sites I think you must print have notarized and send copy to your stateside representative some may even allow to be filed online but I have no clue where. I keep copies of my papers in my home and each of my children, also there is a copy with an attorney I used years ago..Should reread my will forget who gets my button collection and the instructions I left to one grandson on how to unfasten bras one handed,should be shared now.............

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

US $3,000 is the normal fee charged by an American lawyer. That amount in the Philippines is exorbitant.

When purchasing a program online, make sure the format is acceptable in your state of residency. Some states require inclusion of information that other states don't. The best one is a Revocable Living Trust if you have sufficient assets and you want to reduce your estate tax liability. Most of us are below that maximum so a simple will can suffice.

Edited by JJReyes

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I got one in the US for a couple hundred dollars.  I would never pay $3,000.  Here or in the US   But I have no idea what the normal charge is over here.   :tiphat:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The "normal charge" is whatever they can get out of you. I had one guy give me a quote of p100k and he gave me some convoluted explanation that in the Philippines it had to go through probate - before you die. I balked and he said he could do it for about p10k but he would do much less. I thanked him for his time. Ended up downloading a template and getting it notarized by another one. I think he charged me about p500, still too much.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
in the Philippines it had to go through probate - before you die.

:hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:  :no: That has got to be the Scam, of the year 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

In Philippines a Holographic Will is legal.  That is fancy legal talk for a simple, handwritten will.  Keep it simple, Something like:  I leave everything to my kids to split equally.

http://philippinewill.blogspot.com/

MikeB
Posted
Posted

There's some confusion here with the topic title. A living will is a healthcare directive outlining your wishes re: medical intervention. The OP's post and others pertain to a Last Will and Testament, used to distribute assets after your death. Both are legal documents. I don't know what the "Real Thing" refers to. The title should be changed.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
a living will I make myself
A living will is a healthcare directive outlining your wishes

It seemed to me that the op was misstating Holographic Will as a 'living will'.  My best guess was that he did not know the correct term, but we hope he will confirm soon.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Perhaps the OP was in regards to a Living Trust so that if you pass your assets can be handled without going through probate like a last will and testament.