Basic Questions About Getting Started

Kyfiuk
Posted
Posted

Hello,

My name is Gordon and I am from Canada. For the past 8 years or so I have been working in Canada in the Oil and Gas Industry during the summer months and then spending the winter months in Pattaya Thailand where I have been working on a book. I am quite well versed in how to get things done in Thailand and am curious to know how things compare in the Philippines.

The following is a list of questions that I will try to keep as short and to the point as possible;

1- In Thailand there are a number of Real Estate agencies that will help one find an appropriate place to lease once one arrives; is this too the case in most of the larger cities in the Philippines, and without knowing any locals is this the best way to view and choose a good place to live once I'm there?

2- In Thailand Motorbike taxis are all over the place and very inexpensive. Again, is the same true in the Philippines or does one have to take those Jeep type buses from point A to point B, and do they run on a set route like an actual bus does? More than anything I was wondering what the best way would be to get some form of transportation to take me around the city so I might have a chance to scope it out before looking for a place to live too seriously.

3- When I am working on my writing having someplace quiet where I can stay focused is the most important thing that I will be looking for in an apartment or condo, but with that being said I can't work all of the time and would too like to be near a bar or two where I can step out and have a visit and a couple of cold ones with whoever happens to be around that night. I don't need to be in the heart of the action by any stretch, but I don't want to be too isolated either. Any suggestions regarding a suitable area or even city for that matter?

4- In Pattaya I have been able to rent reasonable accommodations for about 4-500 CND a month and as I am not a wealthy person, I would like to keep my housing price close to that if I can. My wish list would be (in order of importance); Quiet, Clean, Nicely Furnished, say 40 Sq.m or more, with no dogs, children, or Harleys within earshot, and the icing on the cake would be sea view or sea front if possible. Again, when I'm working I am quite reclusive and wouldn't mind a place out of town so long as it's safe and transportation is relatively easy, and I don't really need all that much nightlife so long as there are a few bars about where I can have a couple of cold ones and a good visit once in a while.

Well I thing that about does it for the most part. If I can have a few of these questions answered before I leave Canada which could be as soon as the end of September, it would make my to-do list a lot easier to get through once I arrive in the Philippines.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able to give me in this regard.

Take are and I look forward to hearing from a few of you soon.

Gord

PS- I promise my future posts will be shorter but felt that I had to include these details in this post so that your replies can be as helpful as possible.  

• Like 2

Kyfiuk
Posted
Posted

My thanks to the administrators who were able to clear my topic so promptly.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Hello,

My name is Gordon and I am from Canada. For the past 8 years or so I have been working in Canada in the Oil and Gas Industry during the summer months and then spending the winter months in Pattaya Thailand where I have been working on a book. I am quite well versed in how to get things done in Thailand and am curious to know how things compare in the Philippines.

The following is a list of questions that I will try to keep as short and to the point as possible;

1- In Thailand there are a number of Real Estate agencies that will help one find an appropriate place to lease once one arrives; is this too the case in most of the larger cities in the Philippines, and without knowing any locals is this the best way to view and choose a good place to live once I'm there?

2- In Thailand Motorbike taxis are all over the place and very inexpensive. Again, is the same true in the Philippines or does one have to take those Jeep type buses from point A to point B, and do they run on a set route like an actual bus does? More than anything I was wondering what the best way would be to get some form of transportation to take me around the city so I might have a chance to scope it out before looking for a place to live too seriously.

3- When I am working on my writing having someplace quiet where I can stay focused is the most important thing that I will be looking for in an apartment or condo, but with that being said I can't work all of the time and would too like to be near a bar or two where I can step out and have a visit and a couple of cold ones with whoever happens to be around that night. I don't need to be in the heart of the action by any stretch, but I don't want to be too isolated either. Any suggestions regarding a suitable area or even city for that matter?

4- In Pattaya I have been able to rent reasonable accommodations for about 4-500 CND a month and as I am not a wealthy person, I would like to keep my housing price close to that if I can. My wish list would be (in order of importance); Quiet, Clean, Nicely Furnished, say 40 Sq.m or more, with no dogs, children, or Harleys within earshot, and the icing on the cake would be sea view or sea front if possible. Again, when I'm working I am quite reclusive and wouldn't mind a place out of town so long as it's safe and transportation is relatively easy, and I don't really need all that much nightlife so long as there are a few bars about where I can have a couple of cold ones and a good visit once in a while.

Well I thing that about does it for the most part. If I can have a few of these questions answered before I leave Canada which could be as soon as the end of September, it would make my to-do list a lot easier to get through once I arrive in the Philippines.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able to give me in this regard.

Take are and I look forward to hearing from a few of you soon.

Gord

PS- I promise my future posts will be shorter but felt that I had to include these details in this post so that your replies can be as helpful as possible.

Gordon, I shall just focus on number 3

Finding some where QUIET here will in itself present quite a major challenge.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

1. Would be, I don't think so.

2. If you don't have any kind of disability [i have a bad back and bring a pillow] hiring a trike for half or a full day is reasonable in cost and an excellent way to get a look around, the driver may also be an excellent source of information. Find a good one and don't forget to get his number so you can text him. I have had them treat me like family.

3.Quiet is hard to come by unless you are where there aren't many people. Maybe an upper scale condo?

4. Sounds like you are looking for a condo in a building with a high percentage of the residents being owners and still it may depend on your definition of nicely furnished and I don't think there is anywhere where you are safe from the sounds of children, or it may be safe today and tomorrow a family of 8 moves in next door. If you have all that you are looking for in Pattaya, I would think twice about giving it up but there is no harm in going to have a look. Welcome to the forum.

• Like 3

softail
Posted
Posted

Good luck on finding a noise free environment. The Philippines is all about noise and commotion.

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

It is going to be hard to find a cheap quiet place to live. The Subic Freeport is very quiet but not cheap (houses are 30-40,000p/mo for short term leases). The cheapest that you can get in the Freeport is a small apartment for about 5000p/mo (roughly 40sqm) up at the Crowne Peak Apartments/Hotel. It is up on the Cubi Point hill and quite a ways from the grocery stores/shops (about 5km). There is cheap transportation (Winstar) that is basically a Mitsubishi L300 with no air conditioning that costs about 20p to the Main Business district. They run about every 20-30m up until 8pm. Taxis are more expensive (2-300p).

There are no trikes, jeeps or roosters. There are quite a few people that work in the Oil & Gas industry and reside here (mostly Aussie, British). Most have families and have purchased long term leases for their houses (40+ years). 

Edited by jon1
  • Like 2

Kyfiuk
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your replies and suggestions, all very appropriate and applicable. I tend to think that a fact-finding tour of several likely locations will most certainly be the first step and then see if that one leads to any further; and if Thailand does suit my needs better in the end, I'll just carry on to Pattaya again. So no worries, and thanks again, much appreciated guys.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your replies and suggestions, all very appropriate and applicable. I tend to think that a fact-finding tour of several likely locations will most certainly be the first step and then see if that one leads to any further; and if Thailand does suit my needs better in the end, I'll just carry on to Pattaya again. So no worries, and thanks again, much appreciated guys.

Too many times New Members do not acknowledge the help they get here. Best of luck with whichever way you choose.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Kyfiuk,

As you may know, Jon1 is talking about the former Subic Naval Base near my hometown of Olongapo.  He lives there

and has given many straight up advice throughout this forum.  Based on your prerequisites, I believe that area may

satisfy most of your concerns.  Beaches, shopping, banking, sports complexes (with a go cart track), housing and

security are major pluses.  I had fun taking a tour using Google Earth.  You shouldn't worry about peace and order

situation inside the base.....but be prepared to pay for some of those premiums. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subic_Bay_Freeport_Zone

Use our internal search function (upper right corner -- Google site search) and you will find many posts regarding

future places to visit or to reside.  For example: Puerto Galera (for nightlife and relatively cleaner beaches).  You

will get 7 pages of hits just from this forum.

Best of luck to you sir, respectfully -- Jake

• Like 1

Kyfiuk
Posted
Posted

Perfect, thanks Jake. I'll check it out.