Need Some Help Here

Cap'n Rod
Posted
Posted

I'm new here and for those that haven't seen my intro post...here is the short version. my fiancé is an OFW in Hong Kong, she will be returning to tacloban in Jan and I will follow in April..my concern is tacloban, I don't see much here about the progress, actually I don't see much here about Tacloban at all. can anyone give me any first hand info on how things are progressing there? I don't want to go to a disaster area that's not making progress toward recovery..I don't mind inconveniences or lack of services...but I don't want to subject her...or me to an unsafe environment..we have been in a long distance relationship for a very long time, I don't mind a little discomfort, I've lived a simple life on a sailboat for years...but, I also don't want to worry about her or my safety 24 hours a day because of a bad situation. any info on the situation there would be greatly appreciated. thx

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I have not visited but have read things are still difficult. Your lady will know more once she arrives and can inform you the true situation.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Can only pass on info from a friend whom lives just outside Tacloban.

Apparently the main business areas are pretty much up and running. Sadly a few streets away not so good lot of infrastructures still not completed. People still living rough and in tents.

Maybe with google your able find more info.

• Like 1

Cap'n Rod
Posted
Posted

thanks, that's kind if what I'm thinking but since she will be going back there alone in January, I would feel better if I could hear from someone on the ground there. I thought, here would be a good place to ask. we are not locked into one particular place, but Tacloban...pre Yolanda, is familiar to her. We are willing to go to other areas if this isn't going to work...thanks

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Her family are from there?

Southern Leyte along Sogod Bay is beautiful. Anyway if you have a good lady that's the important thing.

• Like 1

Cap'n Rod
Posted
Posted

we are looking at other options, dumaguete is one...she is a little afraid of going somewhere she doesn't know anyone, haha...she's coming back from 3 years in Hong Kong!! she is an adventurer and doesn't even know it :-)

Cap'n Rod
Posted
Posted

thanks for all your replies. her family is In eastern Samar, about 4.5 hours from tacloban. she went to school, worked..and really liked tacloban before she went to Hong Kong..of course, it's not the same place she left. I know our new life together will have enough challenges..I just don't want it to be more difficult than it has to be..

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

A new life, new memories,new town ,new island :) concentrate on the now move somewhere else you do not need to be in a place like Tac at a time like this .

Give it a year or 2 then go look again .   

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Tacloban was not that great a place 'before' Yolanda.  :morning1:  (Nice place to visit but I did not want to live there.)

The second hand info I have from friends that have visited there recently is that the place is operational.  Hotels, restaurants and businesses are operating within normal parameters.  If the reason for being there is to be close to her family and friends (which is not something I would do again) then it should be fine.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Cap'n Rod
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone, we talked about it and decided to let her go chk it out. She will stay in a boarding house for a month and see for herself if she thinks we can make it work. She has convinced me that she will be safe there. She does have friends close by so I'll try not to worry too much. I'll be there via Skype and video msgs. If we think it's going to be too hard...well, there are other options. I've been looking at Dumaguete as an alternative. That's looking better all the time..thanks again