Hotel Scam

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I am not sure how old this scam is but it makes me pleased that my credit card uses a chip and pin.  Doesn't everyone's these days?

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would not fall for this one but I can see where someone else would. I can also see where they could order a bunch of stuff online readily convertable to cash and be long gone before you see the charge on your statement. Added protection is that my card issuer e-mails me when a charge looks even the slightest bit out of line. Here in the US I have to punch in my pin and my zipcode even to pay at the pump when I buy gas.

• Like 1

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
Added protection is that my card issuer e-mails me when a charge looks even the slightest bit out of line
Mine calls me on cellphone and asks that I verify the charges :thumbsup:
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I get the e-mail notifications on my phone as well as on my computer.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is a common scam with many variations. My preference is to pay cash for hotel and other bills in the Philippines. The rooms are pre-paid when booking online and when the hotel clerk request for a credit card for other charges, I tell them to place a hold on my account so I can't charge services to my room. If they insist, I offer to leave a cash deposit with the hotel.

In the United States, your liability limit is $50 if your credit card is scammed. Does anyone know if there is a similar limit if the credit card is issued in the Philippines.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted (edited)

"I am not sure how old this scam is but it makes me pleased that my credit card uses a chip and pin."

There are 3 items usually required for a non-sigature transaction: card #, 3 (or 4 for AMEX) secuirty code, and experiation date. (Sometimes there is a fourth — billing address, ie. zip/postal code)

So, when you order something from the internet using your C/P card you have to enter your pin, a fourth (fifth) parameter? (I'm assuming that that isn't the case as when I have ordered items online in the UK or France I've never been asked for a C/P "pin".)

Edited by northtoalaska

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

I only use cash for hotels and all purchases in the Philippines so this scam doesn't effect me. Its good to know about it though.

A few years ago I used my Master Card to make an on-line purchase from a company in China. The payment of the order was not approved so I contacted Master Card and was told for your protect we don't make any payments to companies in China. I feel the same way about the Philippines.  Too many scammers to trust people with your credit card or debt card information.

Edited by Americano

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

American Express and Mastercard won't process my use of their credit cards in the Philippines without my confirming authorization either through a mobile phone or email message. Since I prefer to pay in cash, the additional precaution is seldom needed. The hotel might make an imprint or login my credit card information on their computer to guarantee payment, but they cannot activate a charge. At check-out, I ask for the imprint and destroy it or request that they delete my credit card information from their computer. 

Hotels in the Philippines actually prefer cash since they don't have to pay credit card fees. The situation in the United States is different. We have stayed at RV parks where credit card payment is required. I guess the owners have had problems where visitors pay in cash and the transaction is never recorded.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
American Express and Mastercard won't process my use of their credit cards in the Philippines without my confirming authorization either through a mobile phone or email message.

Just curious - is this something you set up with Amex and the other one or is that their policy? I've used my Amex and MC many times here and they've never contacted me. With the MC I keep the travel advisory up to date or I believe the charge would be declined. Amex doesn't require that although I very seldom use it because of the foreign transaction fees.