Fines And Penalties For Major Traffic Violations In The Philippines

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)
Major Traffic Violations in the Philippines – Fri, Aug 29, 2014 2:18 PM PHT

Consciously or unconsciously, we commit some traffic rules when driving. Sometimes, the circumstance leads us to do so – like paying more attention to a pedestrian versus the traffic rules. On the duration of your driving life, not being caught by a traffic enforcer is close to impossible. Your car insurance could help you at most of them but knowledge is really a great power.

Here are traffic violations in the Philippines with their corresponding fines and penalties according to the Department of Transportation and Communication together with the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board and the Land Transportation Office:

Driving without a valid driver’s license

Fine: P3,000

Penalty: The offender will be disqualified from being granted a driver’s license or from driving a motor vehicle for one year from the payment of the fine.

Driving a motor vehicle used in committing a crime

Fine: P10,000

Penalty: The offender’s driver’s license will be confiscated, and if convicted, revoked with the driver being perpetually disqualified from being granted a driver’s license. The vehicle will also be impounded until after the payment of appropriate fines and penalties

Reckless driving

Fine:

• P2,000 - first offense
  • P3,000 - second offense
  • P10,000 - third offense

Penalty: The offender’s driver’s license will be suspended for three months for the second offense and six months for the third offense, with the revocation of the license on succeeding offenses. A non-professional driver whose license has been revoked will be disqualified from obtaining a driver’s license for two years from revocation, while a professional driver whose license has been revoked will be perpetually disqualified from getting a license;

Failure to wear seatbelts

Fine:

• P1,000 - first offense
  • P2,000 - second offense
  • P5,000 - third offense

Penalty: The driver’s license of the offender will be suspended for one week from the payment of the fine.

Failure to carry a driver’s license or the vehicle’s certificate of registration or official receipt while driving a motor vehicle (OR/CR)

Fine: P1,000

Driving an unregistered motor vehicle

Fine: P10,000

Penalty: If the non-registration has exceeded one month, the vehicle shall be impounded and released only if it has been registered and its corresponding fines and penalties have been paid.

Unauthorized vehicle modification

Fine: P5,000

Penalty: The vehicle will be impounded and released only upon correction of the defect and the payment of the fine

Operating a motor vehicle without or with defective/improper/unauthorized accessories, devices, equipment and parts

Fine: P5,000

Penalty: The vehicle will be impounded until the accessory, device, equipment or part is properly installed, corrected or removed depending on the offense and the fine has been paid. Any improper or unauthorized device will also be confiscated in favor of the government

All other violations of traffic rules and regulations, from parking violations to illegal turns

Fine: P1,000

Source:  https://ph.she.yahoo.com/major-traffic-violations-philippines-061800985.html

Edited by MikeB
removed copied links
  • Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

I have already heard some stories about this from some expats that I know. One Aussie fellow I know has installed GoPro Cameras in the vehicle's visor (facing the street lights) and another in his ceiling facing the driver's window. Whenever he is in Manila, he runs the cameras constantly. If he gets in a dispute about running a red light (i.e. it's turns yellow while in the intersection), he has proof that the Traffic Enforcer is wrong. The ceiling camera is to catch the Traffic Enforcer asking for money in lieu of a ticket. Once they do that, he has them and they can't run away fast enough. I have also heard that this is becoming a trend and that motorcyclists are also installing them on their helmets. 

Quite an ingenious idea to keep the enforcers honest and the disputes resolved quickly.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Our next door neighbor just got fined p4000 for not having her early warning device in her multi-cab .... because she could pay it they took her license until she can ..... according to the new regs and fines most of the fines look like they have almost doubled .....  :th_unfair: 

:cheersty:

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Unauthorized vehicle modification Fine: P5,000 Penalty: The vehicle will be impounded and released only upon correction of the defect and the payment of the fine

OK, so how do you get the vehicle to a shop for repairs?

Are you allowed to work on it in the impound yard?

Americano
Posted
Posted

Unauthorized vehicle modification Fine: P5,000 Penalty: The vehicle will be impounded and released only upon correction of the defect and the payment of the fine

OK, so how do you get the vehicle to a shop for repairs?

Are you allowed to work on it in the impound yard?

Stupid laws is all I can say to answer your question.

Americano
Posted
Posted

Our next door neighbor just got fined p4000 for not having her early warning device in her multi-cab .... because she could pay it they took her license until she can ..... according to the new regs and fines most of the fines look like they have almost doubled .....  :th_unfair:

:cheersty:

"early warning device"  What the h... is a early warning device in the Philippines?  Never heard of it.

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

These laws and their biased enforcement just prove the ignorance, stupidity, and corruption in the Philippines.

These laws were written for the wealthy with no connections and for foreigners. In my area most motorcycles have the mirrors removed, wires cut for the lights, baffle removed in the muffler, about 10% no tag, and 98% don't wear a helmet, but most have never received a ticket.  LTO and PNP are waiting for a rich foreigner.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
"early warning device"  What the h... is a early warning device in the Philippines?  Never heard of it.

Me neither but I'm thinking it's a horn.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Me neither but I'm thinking it's a horn.

The horn is a constant warning device.

This is the EWD: https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1AVSF_enCA483CA483&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=early+warning+device

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
These laws were written for the wealthy with no connections and for foreigners

IMHO these laws are written really for the Metro Manila area where the traffic problem has real implications to the national economy. That is one of the draw backs of the federalist system here in the Philippines. There really is no sense of "states rights" like those of us from the states are used to.