Dumaguete, Its Official-$910 Month To Live

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Seems Dave Houndriver is spending too much  :)

Dumaguete tagged as one of world's 'best places to retire'

Dumaguete, the capital of Negros Oriental in Central Visayas, has been identified as one of the most ideal places to retire around the world in the 2014 Retire Overseas Index released by the The Overseas Retirement Letter, a publication dedicated to the concerns of retirees.

The study showed that Dumaguete was chosen due to its cheap cost of living.
Based on expenses such as rent, gas, electricity, water, cable, groceries, Internet, and entertainment, retirees living in Dumaguete will only need a monthly budget of US$910 or about P40,000.
Dumaguete is also among the best places for retirees and among most expat-friendly destinations because of its beautiful beaches and its large English-speaking community.
The 2014 Retire Overseas Index chose the locations based on 12 factors, namely climate, existing expat community, cost of living, health care, crime, infrastructure, English spoken, real estate, entertainment, residency options, environmental conditions and taxes.

Aside from Dumaguete in the Philippines, rounding out the list of 21 best places to retire overseas are the following (in no particular order):
Algarve, Portugal
Ambergris Caye, Belize
La Serena, Chile
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Medellin, Colombia
Cayo, Belize
Mendoza, Argentina
City Beaches, Panama
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Cuenca, Ecuador
Samana, Dominican Republic
Granada, Nicaragua
Abruzzo, Italy
Istria, Croatia
Pau, France
Barcelona, Spain
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Istanbul, Turkey
Nha Trang, Vietnam
George Town, Malaysia

https://anc.yahoo.com/news/dumaguete-tagged-as-one-of-world-s--best-places-to-retire-023108371.html

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Seems Dave Houndriver is spending too much 
retirees living in Dumaguete will only need a monthly budget of US$910 or about P40,000.

In one post I wrote:

With the times I go over the budget I still balance out at 35,000 pesos a month

So it seems I am beating the odds  :nudie: At least I am when scrimping, saving, and being a tightwad.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete will only need a monthly budget of US$910 or about P40,000.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm! I wonder now, What she is doing with the rest, of the monthly money then? :hystery:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Negros has been on my list for a while.

• Like 2

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete it is then ! ...............Possibly............Maybe.............Perhaps.   :unsure:

• Like 3

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete it is then ! ...............Possibly............Maybe.............Perhaps.   :unsure:

Nah now that the news is out there will be standing room only. Prices will increase 100% to lighten the wallets of new foreigners.   :yes:

Yeah, the man's right. Dumaguete is out !..........Possibly..........Maybe..........Perhaps   :unsure:

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Damn! I have been trying to convince my wife that Duma (or Valencia) might be the place. Now the place is gonna be overrun (or more overrun) by expats. Now how to start a rumor that Duma is a complete sh&thole so that no one will want to go there :)

BTW, good to know that when I get to Duma I will have 910 months to live (that's how I read it originally)!

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1

Cap'n Rod
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete was already on my short list...this article just made it easier to convince the 'significant other' to chk it out. We're not committing to one place or another till we can see for ourselves but Dumaguete is definitely one of the places we will be looking at. Of course, a lot can change before I arrive in April...and I don't make life changing decisions on surveys :-)