1St Trip To The Us With Filipina Spouse (Non-Us Resident)

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I hope that this post gives others the hope to try to bring their filipina spouse to the US for a visit and to not listen to all of the naysayers (and negative press) out there. The hassle of all of the prep that we went through for her Visa interview (patience and preparation is key) was more than worth it. She is happy as she is living a lifelong dream and if CINCHouse is happy, everyone is. It is also important that your wife can be with you for future life events (deaths, marriages, reunions, medical issues, etc.).

Triple LIKE Master Guns!  Commander in Chief of the House (our wife) is both our savior and terminator......he, he. 

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

I thought that I might post our experiences with traveling to the US for the first time. Mods feel free to move this to a more appropriate sub-forum if deemed necessary.

We flew PAL direct from Manila to San Francisco. I wanted a non-stop flight to avoid any connection issues or delays.

Check-in in Manila was painless at Terminal 2 (PAL). We arrived 3 hours early, after fighting through the traffic of Manila that was further snarled up by the heavy rains. The wife’s exit fee was included in the ticket (even though both tickets cost the same??) which resulted in only having to pay 550p each (Terminal fee) upon departure.

Immigration – Terminal 2

The wife had to fill out some kind of departure form (Filipinos only).  The female Immigrations Officer asked her to provide her prior passports (documenting her other international travel, as her new passport in her married name is still a virgin minus the US B1/B2 Visa…. Easy now Jake). No worries as we had brought them along just in case of this very scenario. She told my wife that we would have had an issue if I had been here for longer than 6 months (which translated into, I would have needed an ECC which I didn’t have, as I was leaving 10 days prior to that). She also told my wife about the BB Stamp Privilege upon request when we returned to the Philippines. She instructed her to do what many have said before, that the wife present both of our passports when we go thru Immigration in Manila (no mention of the NSO Marriage Certificate, which we have). Overall the officer was courteous and didn’t provide BS information or hassle.

The boarding and departure went alright. We left 45 minutes late (remember PAL=Plane Always Late). Despite the late departure, we landed 30 minutes ahead of schedule in San Francisco.

San Francisco Immigration

Our plane landed at the same time as another large international flight, so there were plenty of people (about 450) going through immigration. What appeared odd to me was that the ration looked like 70% US Residents (albeit most of the US Residents looked like immigrants) and 30% Foreign Visitors. The last time I went through here about 3 years ago it was the opposite.  

It took about 30 minutes to get through the queues. She went thru the Visitors queue and I went through the US Resident's queue (I didn't want to assume that she could accompany me and there was no Immigrations Officer available to ask if she could). We both went through an Immigration interview at the same time. I finished before her and stepped up to her window and had a nice chat with the US Immigration Officer (a retired US Navy Filipino from Olongapo, small world, eh?) that was interviewing her. After a few minutes of banter, he stamped her passport with 6 months for this visit (a pleasant guy and professional). He told me that next time she should accompany me in the US Resident's line and that there was no issue with her being a non-US Resident. I thanked him for that and off to Customs. Customs was a non-issue and we were out of the airport 45 minutes after we landed.. 

Overall, our experience with Immigrations officials and the atmosphere here was all very non-threatening and professional. I am extremely happy with that and hope that this continues throughout the rest of our trip. 

Now the wife gets her first experience at Jet Lag!! Hehehe I also had her scratching her head when I told her that we travelled through time into the future (we left at 2315 9/13 and arrived at 2000 9/13).  We both got a good laugh out of that. J Both of us woke up at 0415, so we are now getting settled before our first day of gallivanting around San Francisco. 

I hope that this post gives others the hope to try to bring their filipina spouse to the US for a visit and to not listen to all of the naysayers (and negative press) out there. The hassle of all of the prep that we went through for her Visa interview (patience and preparation is key) was more than worth it. She is happy as she is living a lifelong dream and if CINCHouse is happy, everyone is. It is also important that your wife can be with you for future life events (deaths, marriages, reunions, medical issues, etc.).

"He told me that next time she should accompany me in the US Resident's line and that there was no issue with her being a non-US Resident."

My fiancee and I did the same thing in February 2006 at LAX.  My fiancee was being interviewed in the non-citizens line by Immigration and asked where is you fiance and my interviewer asked me where is your fiancee so I motioned to her to come to me. We had a nice friendly chat with the Immigration lady who was also a Filipina. Everything went very smoothly.

About how many months did it take to get the B1/B2 Visa?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here is a funny coincidence!  I was living in the Bay area in the 90's.  A friend and I took SCUBA lessons and the pool portion was at a hotel pool.

Jon and his wife are staying at that same hotel and the friend I took SCUBA lessons with was supposed to arrive Manila for a visit yesterday (delayed due to storm here).

Small world!

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted
About how many months did it take to get the B1/B2 Visa?

It took us about 7 months (http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/19601-united-states-tourist-visa-for-spouse/) but the majority of that delay was getting the NSO Marriage Certificate (5+ months).

• Like 1