Moving To Cebu In November From Shanghai

philosophery
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone. Just joined the forum. I am a US citizen born in the Philippines.

Would like to get your advise on a few matters:

1) What is the best way to get an SRRV visa? Is there anyone I can use to expedite the process?

2) Looking for a bank in Cebu. Does anyone have experience with the Citibank in Ayala? Any suggestions on alternative bank?

3) I have a real estate agent that I will use (friend of my accountant). She recommends that I live in either Ayala or Banilad. I prefer to live near a citylike Your thoughts?

Thats it for now. Thank you in advance for your knowledge

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I recommend you spend some time in Cebu City and find an area you like before you make any decisions. If you can find a place in the hills of Banilad you would avoid some of the air pollution. Coming from Shanghai you may not even notice it there on a bad day!

I have used Citibank Ayala for ATM and exchanging cash. THe location is good that is to say it seems safe.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I'm going through the SRRV process now, the new $1500 version for retired military. There is no way to circumvent any of the process.  It's not that bad anyway, I'm just taking my time with it as my permanent arrival date is unknown at this point and if you've had any dealings with any Philippine government entity things take time anyway.  Having said that I've found both the PRA in PH and consulate staff in Brisbane to be very helpful. 

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
2) Looking for a bank in Cebu. Does anyone have experience with the Citibank in Ayala? Any suggestions on alternative bank?

HSBC is in Cebu

• Like 1

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Aloha Philosophery! Welcome! I think your best bet would be to go for international banks like Citi or HSBC. It just makes things much easier if, for example, you get money direct deposited into your foreign account and want to transfer to your local one. You save on transfer fees.

As for places to live in, my mom's family live in gated communities (aka subdivision or village) like Santo Nino, Villa Del Rio, and Charles Peak. They're safer and located strategically, I guess. These neighbourhoods are not that far from the city center and Mactan. They're also less prone to brown outs (although you could always use generators).

Definitely check out the neighbourhoods before you move. Someone else's idea of ideal may be your idea of a nightmare. Think about your deal makers or deal breakers. Is your "mountain to die on" easy access to transportation? Kickass nightlife? Quiet neighbours ie: no tanbays who drink Tanduay and start knife fights over whose rendition of "My Way" is least yabag?

And please, before you move, subscribe to the US State Dept.'s mailing list for alerts.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

We used Citibank Phil and Citibank US when we first moved here and built our house. It was pretty easy to transfer large amounts from the US into our Phil bank. If I remember right cleared in about 3 days.

If you are then going to exchange into Pesos I recommend you do not exchange them there at the bank. The exchange rate given was far less than offered out in town. Our customer service rep knew this and arranged for a money lender to actually come to the branch and exchange our dollars for pesos which we then deposited into our peso account there at citi. Probably saved us several hundred dollars in the long run, and we didn't have to carry large amounts of cash around etc

hope this helps

• Like 2

philosophery
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your insights.

I have spent alot of time in the Philippines but not as much in Cebu (about 6 visits over the years). I chose Cebu over Manila because of the cleaner air, less congested, safer and less typhoons. I also like Cebu's international airport with easy access to the rest of Asia.

I will definitely investigate Citibank as my bank + maybe an account in BDO (for my SRRV visa). I hope to meet some of you once I settle down in Cebu. First round of drinks are on me! :-)

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Lots of flooding in Cebu and Mactan today on Cebuano9 news. Schools are closed. looks like 3 feet or more.

• Like 1