Can I Rent A Crewcab Pickup, With Driver, For A Trip From Manila To Ozamiz Down The Western Nautical Highway? Anyone Tried This?

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is the thing: At the start of this month, C moved back to Molave; at the moment she is staying with her parents, and her furniture is stored at her sister's place in Quezon City.

So she needs to get herself a place of her own, and we need to get the furniture there.

Investigations with 2GO's freight department suggest that simply shipping her things will be vastly expensive, so I suddenly thought - why not turn it into an adventure by renting a truck and a driver (no way this foreigner is driving himself on roads that he does not know at all, from central Luzon down to Mindanao!) 

Then I thought - "Why not make the journey into a little adventure, by going along?" In particular we could drive the length of Negros and visit C's ancestral homelands....(and "n" relatives....)

Is this barking mad?; has anyone actually done such a thing?

It might be a nice adventure....

A variation, which might be much more fun, would be to rent (if possible) a self drive pickup (are there such things?) and take a couple of family members along for the actual driving.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have seen adverts for truck and driver or van with driver in Cebu on Cebu Classifieds and I seem to recall seeing the same on OLX for Manila. As for expense, you may be able to buy a used truck (not a crewcab though) in Manila for less than the shipping costs if the cost is about what I am thinking.

Having to pay full price for the deadhead back for the rented vehicle and driver, accomodations and meals would probably be daunting.

I read about someone getting their car delivered from Manila to Dumaguete 2 years ago, it took 24 hours driving in shifts.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Thanks; the numbers are daunting however I look at them!

Will poke about in classifieds, and get the family on the job too... 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Meth, one thing I know for sure, almost anything is available if you have the money. Just take a walk around your town. I bet sooner or later you will see a sign outside a sari sari store, or on a house "Aircon van and Driver for rent" kind of like "bedspacer wanted". I know my wife and her friends rent a van and driver for day outings all the time. I also have one "go to guy". The guy that owns the construction material store where we got all the stuff to build the house. Anytime I have a question oil change, need a plumber, you name it I run it by him, get the info and them make a decision.

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

this may be the best option http://www.ayosdito.ph/Hyundai+Porter-9266951-1.htm  and then sell it there for a small profit Manilla has cheaper wheels

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
It might be a nice adventure....

The Clampetts did it: 

• Like 2

fred
Posted
Posted

We drove once from Manila to Bohol..From memory it cost 10k for the one way trip.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

When the time comes for us to make the move to the phils, its our intention to drive and see as much as the phils as we can, weeks or even months on end, its a long time till then but its on my list of things to do

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Thanks, everyone!

Much to ponder and discuss with she who must be obeyed..

• Like 1