How To Plan For An Unexpected Medical Emergency

MikeB
Posted
Posted
"How much insurance coverage should we have in the Philippines"  or "how large medical savings".  Not getting into a debate of companies, deductible, or co-pays.  Knowing that medical cost are lower in the Philippines, I want to plan for a worse case, like major operation of things like heart by-pass, transplants, or similar.  I have seen insurance companies ofer plans from php100,000 to  php3M.  Of course it depends on ones health condition and ability to budget but is having a php3M too much?

I think you're going to find that there's not that great a difference in annual policy costs for a larger maximum. Yes, medical costs are lower but they bill you for every single little thing, just like the US and it can add up quickly. Also a claim on a pre-existing condition may be denied. My coverage is up to $500,000 dollars per year and that's not the top tier. I wouldn't go less then p3 million, jmo. 

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

Initially I got my wife driving lessons just for these very reasons (a little bit selfish but still). 

Another thing to plan for with the hospital is to arrange for you to pay the doctor's professional fees SEPARATE from the hospital bill (this usually entails someone going to them (you will probably not be physically able to) and getting a waiver of payment signed). From what I learned by my admission at St Luke's 5 years ago, the hospital can take up to 60 days to pay these professional fees to the doctors. If you offer to pay them within 30 days they will normally jump on that kind of offer. This reduces the amount of money that you have to come up with to get out of the hospital (jail).

Another thing to think about is what is your daily Credit purchase limit? For me I purposely limited it to $4000 to cover most minor medical emergencies and i can have that raised if I call the bank back in the US (a US phone call to be planned for).

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

In my case there were 5 or 6 primary doctors and an anesthesiologist. They would not accept insurance for the professional fees, I had to pay them by credit card (used 2) and be reimbursed. Their fees alone were p485k. I couldn't have left the hospital till that was done. They told us we could try and "negotiate" with the doctors but weren't able to reach any of them and I wanted to get out. The whole discharge procedure took several hours. I was reimbursed by check in about 3 weeks.

Alby
Posted
Posted

Thanks all for the advice!

One thing I would add is to have a Will. The sooner the better of course.

The roof could fall on my head now and I won't pay any more taxes :) .... you know what I mean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
  I was just planning to ask, "How much insurance coverage should we have in the Philippines"

That is a reasonable topic and anyone who wants to start it can do so but its such an individual decision that I would suggest discussing it with your insurer.

I found out a while ago that Blue Cross insurance for me would cost about 50,000 pesos a year.  Since this is the first time in 7 years that I have been hospitalized, I am already 300,000 pesos ahead. BUT. I have been very hesitant to post or suggest that due to the superstition that as soon as I say it I will have a huge hospital emergency.  Again, insurance is a personal choice.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

This is for those of us who have medical insurance carried over from our home countries - find out what they cover!  In my case, I am covered for all the same as I was in Canada EXCEPT for the hospital...  Sounds crazy, I know!  I was told that doctors are covered but my room is not - they will consider the PhilHealth Co-Pay as covering this amount.  Meds and other claimable items are still covered up to 80%.  Is this confirmed?  I have a phone appointment tomorrow (Sept 22) to confirm that this is all correct and I'll let you know if there is any changes.  Incidentally, my insurance is the Public Service Health Care Plan serviced through Sun Life - which is great as they have several corporate offices throughout the Philippines!

:tiphat:

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

Thanks all for the advice!

One thing I would add is to have a Will. The sooner the better of course.

The roof could fall on my head now and I won't pay any more taxes :) .... you know what I mean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also a Living Will.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
jpbago
Posted
Posted

Today, I received two quotes from Blue Cross for the duration of my stay in PI. I can get BC Select Standard annual 80/20 co pay up to 500k for 17k or I can get 170 days BC Travel insurance Executive plan up to $50,000 US for 15k.

I already have the Select Standard for my wife and two daughters for 20k/year.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

For those who are not aware - there is a difference between travel insurance and health insurance.  Health insurance will cover you as you would expect to be covered in the country listed under the contract for the insurance.  Travel insurance will cover you in a different country when you traveling but only for a set number of days.  

There are 2 different things you will need to watch out for regarding your insurance...  The first is that your insurance is exactly what it calls itself.  Some of these so-called travel insurance are actually a regular insurance policy and are valid for longer than what you would expect a travel insurance to cover.  Check the coverage!  The other is that many of our Health insurances will now cover us regardless of what country we are in.  Check your coverage!  And the real fun is that this varies by what ever country you come from!  So read your coverage!!!

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)

For those who are not aware - there is a difference between travel insurance and health insurance.  Health insurance will cover you as you would expect to be covered in the country listed under the contract for the insurance.  Travel insurance will cover you in a different country when you traveling but only for a set number of days.  

There are 2 different things you will need to watch out for regarding your insurance...  The first is that your insurance is exactly what it calls itself.  Some of these so-called travel insurance are actually a regular insurance policy and are valid for longer than what you would expect a travel insurance to cover.  Check the coverage!  The other is that many of our Health insurances will now cover us regardless of what country we are in.  Check your coverage!  And the real fun is that this varies by what ever country you come from!  So read your coverage!!!

The BC Travel insurance that I asked for does not cover USA, Hong Kong, or Singapore but it does cover Macau. The BC Medical insurance covers 30 days outside the PI (in Canada for my wife). In my case, if the medical costs will be more than the price of a ticket to Canada, they will stabilize me and put me on a plane where I will be covered under OHIP.

Travel insurance for within the PI has to be purchased from outside the PI.

Edited by jpbago