How To Plan For An Unexpected Medical Emergency

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8.7.2017 at 9:14 AM, bang4dabuck said:

i should probably pay a visit to both hospitals (Chung Hua and Cebu Doc)  ADDMITANCE counters and ask a few questions. The other scary thing is having a problem the wrong time of day, the traffic here sucks. I guess it's good that I'm only about 5-6 miles from them. Another reason not to live in the provinces. Actually I was driving back from Oslub and there was a guy coming into my lane driving rather fast from the opposite direction with red and blue lights. He was nobody but everything goes here, UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Even check also the density of the traffic between your location and the nearest suitable hospital. Even if the hospital is just a km away, it will be using too much time if the traffic is so terrible, that it takes more than one hour to get to the hospital. Check also if there are alternative routes to the hospital. If there is another less suitable hospital much nearer to your location, check it also, because for the case if you have to be admitted there in dire emergency to get first treatment. And also check if there are ambulances available and their quality. The issues in the provinces are more the very poorly equipped hospitals than the traffic. 

Edited by Dr. Shiva
  • Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Even check also the density of the traffic between your location and the nearest suitable hospital. Even if the hospital is just a km away, it will be using too much time if the traffic is so terrible, that it takes more than one hour to get to the hospital. Check also if there are alternative routes to the hospital. If there is another less suitable hospital much nearer to your location, check it also, because for the case if you have to be admitted there in dire emergency to get first treatment. And also check if there are ambulances available and their quality. The issues in the provinces are more the very poorly equipped hospitals than the traffic. 

It is kind of a Catch 22 situation. In the province there is less traffic so you can get to the hospital that is not well equipped. In the city there are well equipped hospital's but traffic during the day can result in a long trip to get there. Even if you can live close to a great hospital you don't spend all your time at home and a medical emergency can happen anywhere. Guess you just roll the dice and take your chances, weighting them as best you can to improve your chances.

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted
On 6/29/2017 at 8:13 PM, Clermont said:

Health insurance is still a little hazy for me, my wife and I are in our mid 60's and I've been told we are too old for medical insurance, is this true?

No, Pacific Cross (formerly Blue Cross Philippines) has a plan specifically for 66+ called Premier. I had it for the year before I left. Just look on their website, if you want a good agent I can recommend one privately.

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, earthdome said:

It is kind of a Catch 22 situation. In the province there is less traffic so you can get to the hospital that is not well equipped. In the city there are well equipped hospital's but traffic during the day can result in a long trip to get there. Even if you can live close to a great hospital you don't spend all your time at home and a medical emergency can happen anywhere. Guess you just roll the dice and take your chances, weighting them as best you can to improve your chances.

Completely agree with you. Ok, in that catch 22 thing it would probably still be better to reach a subpar hospital on right time and survive there than dying in the traffic jam on the way to a superior hospital. What is also necessary is to check the availability of public transportation in direction of any hospital in the case of not being able to drive on your own and have no backup driver available. In bigger cities the most convenient way is to take a taxi to get to the hospital. In middle sized city with no taxis it is probably necessary to ride a tricycle or, if the hospital is on its route, a jeepney.

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Not sure if this is off topic but for several years I have read forums on medical insurance, researched different companies in PH and it is a frustrating and confusing issue that takes time and patience to deal with, no different to the debacle we go through in OZ. In about 18 months we hope to be living in PH and apart from the many other hurdles we will encounter this issue and the way to go to protect/have reasonable medical cover seems the biggest.

I am sure there are more experienced members here that have actually gone through the process and leapt the hurdles once living in PH. I will be 60 and partner 29 (PH national) when we move permanently to San Fernando City. No pre existing health issues apart from smoke, drink and the love of the Philippines. 99.9 percent sure I will avail the SRRV option while better half will find employment, currently spend about AU $ 8K per annum with medicare and private cover, 4K of this will disappear without taxed contributions so we have around AU 4K, PHP 150K to play with, enough? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Steve.

• 1 year later...
blkJack
Posted
Posted
On 9/20/2014 at 11:55 AM, jpbago said:

Buy medical insurance

Buy PHILHEALTH IT is cheap, works and for everyone the same as far as I have seen. Covers a portion of your hospital treatment and stay. Its a big band aid at best, but help cover the costs. Avalable to everyone. 

On 9/20/2014 at 11:55 AM, jpbago said:

Buy medical insurance.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, blkJack said:

Buy PHILHEALTH <snip> Available to everyone. 

Foreigners can get Philhealth but only after you have an ACR I-card

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Foreigners can get Philhealth but only after you have an ACR I-card

Also it's 17000 peso and has restrictions over a local

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

has restrictions over a local

I have heard this before but can't find what they are ( the restrictions) have you got a source for this Statement ? :89:

TimL
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I have heard this before but can't find what they are ( the restrictions) have you got a source for this Statement ? :89:

The big one is this, ”Excluded from their entitlements, however, are the Z Benefit packages”. 

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/benefits/