Recommend A Voltage Converter?

russellmania
Posted
Posted

I used the small ones for under P100 from the hardware stores and they worked just fine in the past. I brought my George Foreman grill from the U.S. on this trip and it didn't stop it from destroying my grill when I plugged it in the socket. Any you guys use some that will work all the time?

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Good question. I'm planning to bring my Wahl clippers because I am pretty fond of them and I would hate to see them destroyed.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure I have seen the p100 types you are referring to, but for that much they would only be good for a very low wattage item and for a very short time.

Before I moved to Germany I bought several in the US from this place:

http://www.world-import.com/transformers-type-A.htm

and they held up well.  I still have one and gave the rest away.  You can buy similar ones here at Handyman and I think Ace.  However they are more expensive here.

I would guess that the GF grill pulls a lot of watts, so find out the wattage and get the appropriate converter.  I think they recommend you get one with X% higher watts than the appliance, but I can't remember what X was.

My new house has 110 and 220 outlets so no more converters for me, for now!

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I suspect what you bought was a plug conversion (the doodad that allows you to plug your USA type cords into a Pinoy type electric wall receptacle).  These do not adjust the voltage. When I purchased converters, I would multiply the amps required by the appliance(s) time 120 to get the watts.  Then buy a converter that is 1.5 times the watts to give you a buffer for startup when some appliances pull extra amps.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

That's not a converter, it's just a plug. What you need is a transformer. Sold in hardware stores.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

We did the same thing, have 110 and 220

Now I might be talking out of my hat, since all I know about electricity is turn on the switch. But when the house was done, the wife told the electrition to change a one of the plugs from 220 to 110. He fiddled around in the wall for a few minutes and it was done.

So I don't know if its an easy fix or not to change an outlet. If it is its an option maybe.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

That's not a converter, it's just a plug. What you need is a transformer. Sold in hardware stores.

I was in Handyman yesterday and a 500 watt transformer similar to the ones I gave the link for was p1649 less 10%.  Like I said, they are expensive here so if you can pick one up in the US it is better.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We did the same thing, have 110 and 220

Now I might be talking out of my hat, since all I know about electricity is turn on the switch. But when the house was done, the wife told the electrition to change a one of the plugs from 220 to 110. He fiddled around in the wall for a few minutes and it was done.

So I don't know if its an easy fix or not to change an outlet. If it is its an option maybe.

My friend is an electrician and I am going to see if he can change a few 110 to 220.  I hope it is simple.

russellmania
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike