"form An Orderly Queue, Please!"

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

A couple of months back, K and I entered a sticky patch in our relationship. We now seem to be leaving it behind us, both somewhat the wiser for the experience, but, somehow, and I really don't know how,  "word got out" that, just possibly, this short, paunchy, short sighted, badly off foreigner might be "back on the market", because I was practically bombarded with FB "friend requests" from wimmin who were friends of friends or indeed friends of friends of friends. I was foolish enough to accept the first half dozen, all of whom were duly "unfriended", once their motives became apparent. Partly of course in self protection lest K got the wrong end of the stick, but mainly because not only was I not interested, but their tactics included suggesting that she was not all she was cracked up to be, when in fact I knew better than they - a sample being that surely the cellphone reception (lousy) where she is could not be bad and she must be putting her phone off (no doubt whilst entertaining a string of boyfriends) when in fact i know, having been there, just what a cellphone black spot it can be.

Miaow!

Conclusion: there is an abundant supply of Filipinas looking for foreign husbands.  

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 5

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Conclusion: there is an abundant supply of Filipinas looking for foreign husbands.  

But are those types the selection men should be looking for?  :no:

• Like 2

starlet
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dear Methersgate. Thank you for your interesting observations.

During the period I have been chatting, courting, dating an eventually marrying my dear filipina, I have become more and more glad that I have been absent from Facebook. I' dont exist there. It has spared me for lots of annoyances and (jealousy) drama.

Entering the dating field in the "filipina segment" is a strange experience. A kind of different realm, an unknown frontier, where the rules are so much different from what I'm used to. We will never understand. The women fight and compete and display their crab-mentality indeed.. In the beginning its fascinating and flattering, but soon the game changes and you wish to turn the clock back to the pre-internet age. Well, I came out in the other end with a wife. And the game is over. Thank God...puh!

Edited by starlet
  • Like 4

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

But are those types the selection men should be looking for?  :no:

Everyday I get random friend requests from all types of girls most are friends of friends looking for a foreigner  

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Thanks, everybody.

K is a non-standard Filipina in that she won't touch Facebook, so she has (I hope) missed the excitement. I have set myself some new rules for women "friends" on Facebook, namely that only women whom I know and whom K also knows are accepted (this category includes an awful lot of K's relations!).

It is quite bizarre. I have commented before on the way in which Filipinas view another woman's man as a challenge to their powers of seduction, but I never thought it would happen to me!

Anyway, I am completely not interested in anyone other than K; I can honestly say that I really have not looked at another woman since we met.

• Like 2

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

I feel ya, dudes, I feel ya. One of my mom's cousins is quite interesting. I had to hide my friends list because she used it as her personal takeaway menu of potential husbands. Somehow she doesn't quite understand why my childhood/hs/uni/grad school/work/random friends get skeeved out when she posts on their timeline "53/single mother of 2 teenaged girls looking for WHITE foreigners 25-45 only". Since my mom, aunt, and 1 other cousin were married to Americans, she said it was their "obligation" to introduce her to "White foreigners." So, yeah...I had to unfriend her because I was getting daily, "Umm...how did your aunt get my name? She's not a bunny boiler, is she?" e-mails.

On the flip side, women get the same insanity. A while back I joined a Fil-Am group that helped raise funds for Yolanda/Haiyan. I got a friend requests from Filipino-in-the-Philippines dudes who said they want to move to the US, so would I be willing to pretend to be their girlfriend so they can come here on a fiance/fiancee visa. "Tulungan mo naman ang kababayan mo/help your countryman" was his reasoning. It's like, really? My mom's from Cebu, but my countrymen are Americans (or Tsalagi/Cherokee and Hawaiians, if you want to be political). ::Sigh:: In some ways, I do envy you guys for being "pure foreigner" not just a halfie. You can sometimes claim cultural differences, but when I do, I get the whole "You're not even pure American. You just don't know where you came from" bit...

• Like 5

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Yep unchecked I had to put my friends list on hide as well 

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Finding a foreigner husband for some is like throwing 15 fishing poles in the water manning 3 boats at a time-or playing 10 bingo cards for each game. The strategy behind it  seems to be not only joining 5 or 10 dating sites and having 2 or 3 facebook accounts,but also posting on craig's list, or always asking a friend of a friend who knows a foreigner (married or friend) to get introduced, or befriending any receptive FilAms to get an intro. Keeping the pot stirred for the invariable connection-kind of like agressively job hunting with little network resources. 

I agree, that unless you put yourself out there, you won't be found, but always getting a request to be hooked up with a foreigner-any foreigner can test your limits when there's an expectation from her. I get the same from friends of my wife's FB and she is always getting inquiries if she has met an available guy here in the states.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

It has just struck me that the Filipina that I am hooked up with has never been interested in a foreign husband, or  living outside the Philippines, or in having a mestizo child. I must have inadvertently selected a non-standard one! :cheersty:

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I declared my newly single status on FB after the split from Aines.  The majority were from women who were friends of some of my Filipino friends or women I'd met in the past, but a few were from her extended family and in one case I was sent a couple of "provocative" photos.  I guess the upside is that if I ever decided to act upon these advances it wouldn't be too hard to verify their identities through mutual friends, their intentions much less so.  Pity I live by the adage "Don't sh&t in your own nest", but I continue to stick with it.  

I'm currently doing the rounds of the dating sites and I'll post my current adventures there soon :1 (103):  

• Like 4