Qualifying For University In Philippines

dsummers
Posted
Posted

Our 17yr old daughter will be moving with us to the Philippines in Spring 2015. She is currently working on Grade 11 and 12 subjects in Canada.

Does she need to complete all her Gr 12 Canadian credits to enter a University in the Philippines or simply pass an entrance exam? I've read PI only goes to Gr 11 before University. She is a very bright girl.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have never known anyone, regardless of grades, to be refused admission to a Philippine University PROVIDED they can afford to pay all the fees.  University is a business here. It is also not required to get good grades to continue, provided you pay for the exams then you pass.  But you may not get the International certification you might desire unless you pass certain tests.

This is only my own experience based on girls I have dated.  My previous girlfriend got a degree in computer programming and only ever showed up in class to take (and pay for) the tests.  She knows nothing beyond turning a computer on and off.

EDIT:  This does not mean the universities are useless.  It means your daughter will only get out of it the effort she puts into it.  Dedicated students do extremely well in some universities and there are some gifted graduates being produced, just not the majority.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

University is a business here. It is also not required to get good grades to continue,

Dang Dave, you beat me to it  :rolleyes:

What a great Pity but OH So true.

Requirement for Entry  = post-2148-0-60007200-1412407031_thumb.jp Unfortunately the Degree she gets may not be accepted in many Western Countries.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

dsummers
Posted
Posted

In her case, Veterinary medicine is her goal and there are licensing requirements there. I also read about entrance exams. No-one fails?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
No-one fails?

Yes, some fail.  The ones who either have no money, or do not know the answers, or do not sleep with any of the faculty will fail.  Sir, I suggest you need to do a lot more research before trusting a degree from a Philippine University because there are some that are better than others but its a minefield.

I would suggest that a degree from Silliman University is better than many others but that is only based on a gut feeling.  Due diligence, sir.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

You can pass any exam, even board exams here with a backer. Other ways too as mentioned. My nephew failed, well not sure, but his class all got 75% in his board exam. Next they do the other pre-requisites like IQ, neuro, height, dental, etc. That's right, after 4 years of college, they do the pre-requisites. . He failed the IQ and neuro too but made a phone call and now he is PO1 (with a plastic pistol made in China).

I will suggest that your daughter go to Vet school in Canada, (Guelph, Ontario) has a good one, then she can work anywhere in the world that she wants.

• Like 1

dsummers
Posted
Posted

I'd like to send her to Guelph but, for various reasons, it's not feasible. Central Bicol State U has a well rated program but their email doesn't work to ask questions....

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

University is a business here. It is also not required to get good grades to continue,

Dang Dave, you beat me to it  :rolleyes:

What a great Pity but OH So true.

Requirement for Entry  = attachicon.gifDollars.jpg Unfortunately the Degree she gets may not be accepted in many Western Countries.

JP :tiphat:

here is an interesting article about the "profitabilty" of 1 university.

i post  the link.with just a part of story

BUSINESSMAN Henry Sy Sr. and his family and the Montinolas,

along with the rest of the stockholders of Far Eastern University (FEU),

received P700.3 million in cash dividends over the last two years

. Based on some 13.7 million outstanding common shares,

the dividend payouts entitled them to P50.86 per share which, at the present market price of P1,186 per share, translates to a 4.3-percent return over a two-year period.

http://www.manilatimes.net/feus-20-stock-dividend-equals-p3-2b/131350/

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

The main problem is no other countrys accept the degrees . a Degree from a Philippine university is useless in Canada

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are two types of universities in the Philippines. The first are the so-called "diploma mills" that accepts virtually anyone who is willing to pay the tuition and fees. The Department of Education (DeptEd) does the accreditation. In addition to DeptEd, the second group are "accredited" through internationally recognized accreditation institutes. What this means is high academic standards and the credits from one university are accepted by another when a student transfers. 

Among the elite universities are the University of the Philippines, Ateneo, De La Salle, Xavier, etc. Most of the top Philippine universities are accredited with the United States. The United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, etc. have their own, but the various countries recognize the other. Accreditation also applies to elementary, middle and high schools. If someone attended De La Salle High School, an American university like Stanford or Harvard will accept DLS transcripts. They won't accept transcripts from a student who attended a public high school. The requirements would be all sorts of additional testing to make sure the student meets the high academic standard.

The University of the Philippines has an excellent Vet school. The problem is nearly all the openings are reserved for Filipino citizens since the national government subsidizes tuition. You could still try because UP offers a limited number of spaces to international students. The reason is for local students to be exposed to a more global perspective. 

If it were true that all diplomas from the Philippines are not internationally acceptable, why are there so many teachers, nurses, doctors, etc. who live and work all over the world? They are from the top 10% to 20% of the graduating classes from the better institutes of higher learning.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2