How To Get Murdered In The Philippines

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Sometimes it's just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The German who was shot in the head standing outside his home by the security guard who mistook him for a burglar wasn't doing any of those things. But he was wearing a sweatshirt with a hood covering his head which made the guard suspicious so maybe don't wear a hoodie should be #4 or maybe avoid armed security guards. I read the murdered man's wife was so traumatized she left the country immediately so there were no charges filed and the guard was probably released. May still be working there. As Scott said in the other thread, life is cheap. 

• Like 3

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Sometimes it's just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The German who was shot in the head standing outside his home by the security guard who mistook him for a burglar wasn't doing any of those things. But he was wearing a sweatshirt with a hood covering his head which made the guard suspicious so maybe don't wear a hoodie should be #4 or maybe avoid armed security guards. I read the murdered man's wife was so traumatized she left the country immediately so there were no charges filed and the guard was probably released. May still be working there. As Scott said in the other thread, life is cheap. 

I think we are all on the same side in this battle.  I don't know the details of that shooting, but all it sounds a bit sketchy to me.  Filipino burglars look nothing like German loiters, from any angle.  And wife bolting immediately?  But yes, life is cheap here. That's the impetus for my post.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If you're somehow implying that the wife was involved, please don't. This was a senseless and very sad tragedy. 

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

If you're somehow implying that the wife was involved, please don't. This was a senseless and very sad tragedy. 

Forgive me, if that is personal to you.  I couldn't find a story on it and would really like to hear more or get a link.  There surely is more to it than just "not wearing a hoodie".

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the link.  Yes, it does sound very tragic and undeserved.  But, like all foreigner shootings here, we will never know the real story.  Sad.     

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

1.  Poor choice of wife / gf.  This is number one with a bullet and has been rehashed so many times it needs no introduction.  Don't just pick the hottest, youngest one that will have you.  Detach a little and do some research on your sweetie.  Maybe even hire an investigator.  It really pays to put some thought into this one.    

I have the impression that local private investigators are not, in general, well thought of, and are quite expensive.

I don't really know how one would set about doing research on a girl who takes a shine to you. My gf would qualify as a "hottie" (not trying to boast; she is a woman that men stare at) and at the outset I was very cautious, to the point of asking her to move to another city (to Olongapo, where I had friends, from Quezon City) and share an apartment with another girl whose bona fides were beyond dispute. She agreed to do that, which was a pretty good indication. Yes it cost me in terms of apartment rental and furniture, but it would have cost about the same to hire a detective agency and we got some furniture which we still have... 

2.  Engaging in a public business.  Not only does this draw extra attention to you, but it offends most Filipinos, who will think you are taking jobs from them.  And you're likely to step on someone's toes along the way.  Disgruntled US postal workers have nothing on disgruntled sari-sari employees.  And money-lending is extremely dangerous and needs a post of it's own, but I will include it here.  

I think a lot depends on the business. If you are seriously "in business" and it is a business that Filipinos don't do, and is both highly technical and is export driven, I think you should be fine. Only a fool would try any of the business activities that are reserved for Filipinos. 

3.  Being confrontational with the locals.  In all honestly, most of the local guys don't really like us, unless we are benefiting them in some manner.  They can act like childish punks and talk a lot of BS, in their futile efforts to save face.  Best to learn to walk away, even if that's not in your nature.     

This is one that we all pay lip service to, but actually it can be difficult to keep your temper even when you know you must do so. It is so horribly easy to go wrong, here, that I would put this as "danger number one". 

I agree with Dave Hounddriver's fourth and fifth reasons; stay away from drugs, be careful about alcohol.

I also agree with him that most Filipinos are neutral to foreigners, but I try to remind myself that I am not delighted when I see an English hottie on the arm of a Russian or an Arab in London, and that is just how K and I must look to Filipinos.  

• Like 5

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Everyone is welcome to post their thoughts on this, and that's what we want...hell, I'm the forum newbie and should probably STFU and learn from you guys :) 

• Like 1