Any Experience With Cellphone Signal Boosters/repeaters - Specifically Smart In Mindanao?

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

K's parents' cellphone signal reception is absolutely awful, espescially in the rainy season.

Smart is slightly better than Globe but both are dire.

I was thinking about a booster - anyone use one?

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have one, it boosts the power of the signal, but not the information contained in the signal. It does have it's uses, it has it's own antenna so it's like having your receiver right next to a window if you are in a hard structure like concrete or a metal building.

The thing to do is capture more signal with an antennae or a reflector. Pop 65z on youtube has a video showing his use of a discarded dish tv dish, a long USB extension cable that he uses so he can move the USB stick to the focal point of the parabolic dish so he can greatly increase the amount of signal captured up on Mt. Canloan on Negros. To merely boost the power of a tiny slice of signal doesn't do much but if you can capture a nice fat wedge of that same attenuated signal you are doing better. If you still can't get enough, you have to get closer to the signal. If you are talking about a low spot, it would be really beneficial to find a way to get signal from line of sight. The antennae in USB sticks aren't much, I think they assume that you are in a signal rich environment. One might be slighly better than another but I would not expect much difference.

I don't like to recommend people spend money if I don't know it will solve their problem but I have heard at least one person say that a portable wifi router did the trick for them. It's a bigger unit and could contain a better antennae than the average stick but I think the cost in the range of 4k to 6k piso. I have no way to guage their problem vs. yours. I hope this helps a little, possibly saves you some money in what I think is going to be a trial and error process if you succeed at all.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Thank you Robert for a most helpful posting.

(Funnily enough K and I have often talked about settling on Canloan!)