The Debut

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have The Debut coming up next month.

Google definition: a person's first appearance or performance in a particular capacity or role.

Here in the PI, it is the 18th birthday for a girl, not sure if it is for a boy as well. 

Has anyone else had this event? Our girl went to one last month in San Carlos and it was huge, lasted for 2 days. For those that can live here on $1,000 per month, well, it would mean surviving on air and tap water for 1 or 2 months or not doing The Debut of a life time. Well, maybe not a life time as we have another one next year.

The Debut for the boy is at age 21.

Edited by jpbago

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Oh, dear Lord. I had two of those (Cebu and Hawai'i) about a decade ago. Hell on Earth, I tell you. My debut in Cebu wasn't really for me but more like for my mom and lola. The cotillion de honore court (18 pairs) consisted of mostly my cousins and their friends, since my friends in the US were off travelling and getting ready for uni. The rigodon dance took ages to practice. I designed my main gown, which was ivory as is the traditional way. A local designer made it for an appalling amount, but eh, at least I can recycle it for when (if) I get married. 18 roses dance was with my cousins' friends. 18 candles were my female family members and friends of my grandma who basically shared a memory of me (usually misbehaving and cutting the heads of marshmalow peeps) and life lessons. 18 treasures were the 18 closest people to me giving me a small trinket that represented their hopes, dreams, and wishes for me. The speeches...dear Lord...help. My maternal grandfather was in politics, so his speech was looooooong and ended with him asking people to vote for his political party in the upcoming elections. The best part about the whole thing was the cake, which I chose :) 4 wonderful layers of raspberry and ganache cake.

My Hawai'i debut was more meaningful. It was celebrated a month later. Same set-up as the Cebu one, but the honour court were my nearest and dearest friends. It had a Hawaiian theme to represent my dad's heritage. It was a more memorable debut because it was the last birthday that my dad attended. He had a stroke and was in the hospital for almost two years before passing away.

All in all, debuts can be fun and meaningful. My parents didn't tell me the entire cost, but I know that they spent at least a million pesos because the debut planner received 55,000 pesos and according the contract I read, he charged 5% of the total budget. Of course, this was about ten years ago, so the costs are higher now. The biggest expense were the location plus catering (Waterfront charged per head plus fees for outside lechons). Cheapest expense were the invites. Had my hair done, but I did my own make-up (didn't want to get the obvious nose line contouring, thin eyebrows, and blue/green eyeshadow that the ladies/men at Ricky Reyes were known for).

If ever I have a daughter, I would probably ask if she wanted a debut. I'd definitely recommend it for the cake :)

• Like 5

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

A couple of weeks ago I was chatting with one of my wife's cousins on Facebook.  She is 17 and planning to come live with us soon for a while so she can learn how to Speak English better and chat with some foreigners.  When I asked her when will she be 18 she said, my Debut is on February 26, 2015.  I have never heard of anyone calling their Birthday a Debut but I knew by her answer that its her 18 Birthday.  Anyway, after reading the posts above which explain what Filipinas expect on their Debut and how much it could cost, I think she can come here after her Birthday.  Her parents can and should take care of her Debut.

My wife was working on her 18th Birthday so she didn't even have a Birthday Party.  A Debut seems ridiculous to me unless your family is rich and has nothing else to do.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

A couple of weeks ago I was chatting with one of my wife's cousins on Facebook.  She is 17 and planning to come live with us soon for a while so she can learn how to Speak English better and chat with some foreigners.  When I asked her when will she be 18 she said, my Debut is on February 26, 2015.  I have never heard of anyone calling their Birthday a Debut but I knew by her answer that its her 18 Birthday.  Anyway, after reading the posts above which explain what Filipinas expect on their Debut and how much it could cost, I think she can come here after her Birthday.  Her parents can and should take care of her Debut.

thats the way to do it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 2

brock
Posted
Posted

its a bit like win 5,000 on the lottery and then spend 10,000 to celebrate,,,,Any excuse to party and show off,,,,Then next day, Skint again.

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

its a bit like win 5,000 on the lottery and then spend 10,000 to celebrate,,,,Any excuse to party and show off,,,,Then next day, Skint again.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Indeed, then they have the nerve to ask for some money and pay you back next year or was it the year after or after or after

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think having a roof on the house conveys more social status than a big party but I am funny that way. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I knew there was a reason why I have three boys. :cheersty:

Same here thank God.

• Like 2