South Gen Naga Cebu Experience ?

anthonytt
Posted
Posted

My wife's cousin (16 yrs old) was taken here yesterday at 5pm. At 2 am he passed away.

Mind you he walked into the hospital on his own 2 feet. He was in Carcar public hospital when they did blood work and said he had Dengue . So they told his parents to take him to San Vicente Sotto Hospital. But they were passing South Gen and decided to take him there. Once there they did some tests and said his kidneys were failing and he had water in his heart. They said they needed to start antibiotics and Dialysis and wanted payment before they began. So, a short while after his parents stated they did not have enough money to pay at that moment, the doctor came out and said he no longer has a heartbeat. End of Story.

After the whole extended family and friends heard what had happened, they said they shouldn't of taken him to South Gen because of too many instances of people walking in and not walking out. All of them after a very short stay.

After All who is going to do an investigation?? Not many people can afford an autopsy and I'm sure if they had one done the findings would be exactly what the doctor told the family. I understand this is a third world country. So I'm sure if you go in there cash in hand you will survive. Anyone have good or bad experience there? Or have heard a lot of instances like this one?

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Sorry for your families loss. Prayers

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If Carcar referred him to Vicente Sotto his condition must have been fairly serious. If his condition was considered ”serious” the hospital and doctors are required by law to treat him without asking for payment. It’s not clear from your post if that’s what happened. 

My one experience with in-patient care at South Gen was awful. Every single department I dealt with: the ER, Admissions, Staff (especially nurses) was terrible. The patient was our child and this was the one time I truly lost it and did some real screaming. I complained to the nursing supervisor, the department head, and the Medical Director. I got a lot of apologies but I’m not so naïve to think it changed anything. Unfortunately, coming from the south it’s the closest major hospital so it’s tempting to pull in instead of continuing the 30 minutes or so to the private hospitals in Cebu City. I think there are some things they can handle but for anything serious, no way. Just keep going. My condolences to the family.

• Like 1

anthonytt
Posted
Posted

Thank you both for your condolences. I had the fortune of meeting this kid earlier this year when we were there. He was a good respectable kid. They gave cause of death as septic shock, severe myocarditis and Acute renal failure. I just think he would have survived if taken to a better hospital.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Dead or alive, it's all about the money.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My good friend (now deceased) used to swear by South Gen 8 or more years ago, but when he went there 7 years ago he came home and said:  "Never again!"  He said it has become all about the dollars.  Your opening post seems to confirm this.  Sorry to hear about your experience.  Perhaps its good for rich people?

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Sorry of the loss. I can relate to this as my 2 daughters both had dengue. I would say that he needed two blood transfusions immediately and directly from a seller as one of my girls needed and got. His platelets must have been very low.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have only heard bad story`s about south gen. They plastered my friends arm and he had to have it done again later as is was not done properly. I can`t remember the other tales I have heard but everybody has said that it is so dirty there.