Where To Set Up A Virtual Office

komments
Posted
Posted (edited)

The company I work for has an office in the Manila area.  I am considering, if Janie and I like the Philippines, trying to transfer over there.  But I don't think I want to be in Manila so I would have two options.

1. A suburb within driving distance
  2. A virtual office

I currently have a virtual office in Texas (my den).  I either work from there or from client sites.  A virtual office requires access to dependable power, telephone and internet connectivity.  Also proximity to an airport, preferably one with international connections.

Any recommendations?  The office is in Makati City, Philippines.

Edited by komments

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Virtually anywhere   :hystery:  Sorry  :)

Perhaps consider Cebu IT park where you should have dependable power and internet. 30 or 40 minutes to international airport.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
A virtual ohhice requires access to dependable power, telephone and internet connectivity.  Also proximity to an airport, preferably one with international connections.

You can find close to that in Dumaguete, if you are looking for a small city.  Power is semi dependable but you would have to have a UPS for the short brownouts.  Areas of Duma that are close to call centers have high speed internet and good phone service but you would have to be very careful choosing where you set up.  The airport has daily flights to Manila and Cebu with connections there to International destinations.

I am really not trying to 'promote' Dumaguete as we have enough foreigners here already  :540:  but it does have advantages over a big city.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes.  I know of foreigners having (kind of) such in:

/Cebu

/Davao

/Dumaguete

/Laoag

I don't know if the two last have international airports.   Cagayan de Oro has got an international airport, at least ment to be, I don't know if any flight company agree yet.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

The Subic Freeport would fit your needs, Reliable internet and power. You would also need a VOIP Phone (Magicjack, Skype) to complete the requirements. I have no issues with phone calls to the US and most people are shocked to hear of the clarity despite the distance. 

Advantages of Subic:

Non-Polluted air

No congestion

No Trikes

No Jeeps

International airport 1 hour away (Clark)

Houses built by the USN to US Specs (110V and 220V)

Disadvantages:

Rent is cost prohibitive (comparable to Makati 20,000p/mo and up for 1-3 bedroom units)

Local purchases are higher but if you send your wife to Olongapo this mitigates that

A vehicle is needed as taxis are expensive

• Like 1

komments
Posted
Posted

And if required to go into the office (address below), any suggestions?

GXS Philippines, Inc  
36F Tower 2 RCBC Plaza 1200
6819 Ayala Ave
Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines

komments
Posted
Posted

BTW, If I am working, 20K PHP is nothing for rent (under $450).  And to get a human sized dwelling would be a huge plus.

JK about human sized (don't wanna twist anyone's panties).  My wife is 5'0" (fun sized I think I read in another post - I call her vertically challenged - and, yes dancing to Hey Jude with her in high school was a literal pain in my back).

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

Manila is a 2 hour drive via expressway and 1-2 hours to Makati depending on traffic, route and time of day. I chose Subic when I was kicking around the idea of one trip per week to Manila.

You also have to make sure that the vehicle you are using to Manila is not coded for the day you are traveling. I typically pay 4500p for a round trip to manila via a hired driver/vehicle as required.

Edited by jon1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
And if required to go into the office (address below), any suggestions?   GXS Philippines, Inc   36F Tower 2 RCBC Plaza 1200 6819 Ayala Ave Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines

Not sure if you mean daily or monthly but many of the places mentioned have daily return flights to Manila so you could go to Makati in the morning and come home at night.  Its a long day though, due to the Philippines habits of traffic jams and lineups everywhere.

komments
Posted
Posted

I meant if I had to go into the office every day where in the area would be a good place to live (close enough to commute, as far away from traffic and pollution as possible).