Help

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

"K" having got all the others things out of the way, I guess you are still researching  What to do and what to see on your visit.

I have no doubt that this topic will get closed soon as I do believe it has run it's course, However, can i just say that there is plenty of Information you can read in the forums here. just go to Forums and select what you want to read, I know there was quite a bit on Baguio and Bacalod, to start you off here I have put in a link to Negros which you may find Interesting.  As with many countries, major Tourist site are not for all and with many things  a seasoned Tourist will always find Something to  Go see off the beaten track. as you say, you have to Start somewhere so, For Negros, have a look at this Site :thumbsup:

http://negrostourism.com/

Regards JP :tiphat:  :morning1:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

in fact "K" you may find this page good to have a look at, as we say, One thing may lead to another

Food for thought?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=images+of+the+real+Negros+island+philippines&biw=1360&bih=673&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=dxZkVIXRHqGzmwXygIKAAw&ved=0CD0Q7Ak

JP :tiphat:  :)

Edited by Jack Peterson

komments
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jack.  I thought about taking a day trip to Dumaguete but am not sure we will have time this trip.

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Lapu Lapu or Mactan Island.  What I want is the hole in the wall non-touristy type places that locals always know about.  To me that is what makes a trip special - not the places on the internet that everyone knows about.

Hi K, I have done a couple of posts on the delights of Mactan, do a search and maybe you can find them, to be honest there is not a great deal to see here, Mactan Shrine, some great seafood restaurants there, Olango Island, beautiful place 20 minutes by ferry from Mactan, Lantaw Restaurant, world class.The  beaches here, to me only so-so, wouldn't waste my time. I think maybe 2 days here and that would be your limit, lots of better places imho to visit. Having said that I like living here on Mactan, just suits me.

OTOH, if you are a guitar player or amateur guitar maker, Mactan has a street which is heaven. Been there twice.

Edited by MikeB
Removed name of other forum
  • Like 2

komments
Posted
Posted

Once again the Fil-Am group on FB is a Godsend.  I have made friends from both Cebu and Tagbilaran including a couple that have offered to guide us but they haven't asked for money. I want to pay them but want to avoid over-paying or insulting them with an offer that is too low. I would also like to bring them an inexpensive gift from the US.  Any suggestions on pay or gifts would be appreciated.

• Like 1

anthonytt
Posted
Posted

Chocolate! Never fails

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Once again the Fil-Am group on FB is a Godsend.  I have made friends from both Cebu and Tagbilaran including a couple that have offered to guide us but they haven't asked for money. I want to pay them but want to avoid over-paying or insulting them with an offer that is too low. I would also like to bring them an inexpensive gift from the US.  Any suggestions on pay or gifts would be appreciated.

Are you talking about just a day/weekend or longer time?

A hint  :  Normal pay is around 300 pesos per day in Cebu for a worker, 250 in Tagbilaran.    Double for e g a teacher.

I suppouse they will be very satisfied if they get litle more than that and they pay for them too when you enter something and when you eat.   Many Filipins do it for free, if you pay for restaurants - they like to eat    :)     (I mean if it is when they don't lose income by follow you.)

Concerning gifts:   "All" lke sweets.   Many like "bling-bling" when it don't cost much too. Rather many have good looking wrist watch for the LOOK, but they usualy don't look at the TIME at them   :lol:

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

There are places traveling in the world where a guide might be helpful but more often than not what you need is not a guide but a ride :)

I was in Bohol in April. IMO, if you wish to see the standard (and wonderful) spots there you need a professional ride (driver) more than a guide. So, does your friend in Tagbilaran have reliable transportation to take you around? If they do it might be worth it. If not there are many drivers available at different price points. I had a good one in Bohol and if you ping me I will give you a name and rates.

BTW if Bohol is an interest, you can get a great idea of what there is to do, etc. on TripAdvisor. There is one guy who is particularly knowledgeable about places to stay, restaurants, etc. I'd rely on that information.

As to Cebu, are we talking about traveling around Metro Cebu City or touring the island. If the former a good reliable (and reasonable) taxi is what you need. Traffic in the city is congested and a good driver is valuable. If you are talking about traveling around Cebu island, that's another matter.

• Like 2

komments
Posted
Posted

Are you talking about just a day/weekend or longer time?

A hint  :  Normal pay is around 300 pesos per day in Cebu for a worker, 250 in Tagbilaran.    Double for e g a teacher.

I suppouse they will be very satisfied if they get litle more than that and they pay for them too when you enter something and when you eat.   Many Filipins do it for free, if you pay for restaurants - they like to eat    :)     (I mean if it is when they don't lose income by follow you.)

Concerning gifts:   "All" lke sweets.   Many like "bling-bling" when it don't cost much too. Rather many have good looking wrist watch for the LOOK, but they usualy don't look at the TIME at them   :lol:

okay, Chocolates and inexpensive jewelry.  Janie works at a Blessings Shop (second hand store run by several local churches) so the jewelry will be easy.  And getting chocolates is simple enough.  I was talking about a one-day walking tour and I will pay for any museum entrance fees, lunch and, if it goes that long, dinner.  So 500 pesos plus the food and entrance fees won't be insulting?  Thanks.

komments
Posted
Posted
There are places traveling in the world where a guide might be helpful but more often than not what you need is not a guide but a ride :)

I was in Bohol in April. IMO, if you wish to see the standard (and wonderful) spots there you need a professional ride (driver) more than a guide. So, does your friend in Tagbilaran have reliable transportation to take you around? If they do it might be worth it. If not there are many drivers available at different price points. I had a good one in Bohol and if you ping me I will give you a name and rates.

BTW if Bohol is an interest, you can get a great idea of what there is to do, etc. on TripAdvisor. There is one guy who is particularly knowledgeable about places to stay, restaurants, etc. I'd rely on that information.

As to Cebu, are we talking about traveling around Metro Cebu City or touring the island. If the former a good reliable (and reasonable) taxi is what you need. Traffic in the city is congested and a good driver is valuable. If you are talking about traveling around Cebu island, that's another matter.

I would be very interested in your driver's name and rates.  We have a room in a Tagbilaran hotel for the duration of our stay so I want to take day trips to see the chocolate hills and tarsiers.  I also want to do a day or two snorkeling.  So someone that can take Janie and I to those places would be very welcome to know.  As for Cebu, just metro right now.

One more thing if you don't mind.  Dec 30th is our 38th Anniversary - I want to plan something special for the day and finish it with a dinner that will be memorable.  I am thinking seafood and have heard there are some good ones in the area, but I don't know any names.  Cebu City or Lapu Lapu?