Tourist Had Money Stolen While Eating-Ermita(Ncr)

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I post this as some members may need  to attend business at the nearby american embassy 

A Japanese tourist fell victim to thieves preying on foreigners in Ermita, Manila.

Hiroshi Yokomizo, 41, reported to Manila Police District’s General Assignments Section (MPD-GAS) that he lost P120,000 and Y200,000 (P78,353) to snatchers on Friday.

He said he was eating at a fastfood restaurant in an Ermita mall when the money was stolen from him at about 2:45 p.m.

He only found out about it as he was paying for the food he ordered.

Aside from the cash, he also lost his passport, the passport of his  friend, and other pertinent documents.

On Thursday, a Czech tourist lost her camera to snatchers along Padre Burgos street in Ermita.

Jana Padalikova told MPD-GAS the incident happened at about 6:35 p.m.

She was walking when a man, who has yet to be identified, approached her and grabbed her camera, an Olympus S-231-MR.   

http://www.philstar.com/metro/2014/11/09/1389584/tourist-falls-victim-thieves

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Lucky he was not carrying a big sum of money  :no:

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I just don't get it when I here about some of these cases.  He's got about $5000 cash on him, he is eating at a fast food restaurant , and he doesn't know all of those items are gone until he goes to pay.  It was not a snatcher.  Either a pickpocket or someone just made off with his backpack or opened the pocket on a bag??

I suspect A or B.

A.  Stupid, stupid, stupid

B.  Insurance scam

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

he is eating at a fast food restaurant , and he doesn't know all of those items are gone until he goes to pay. It was not a snatcher. Either a pickpocket or someone just made off with his backpack or opened the pocket on a bag??

A is the answer 

2. he was not aware of his surroundings

3, didnt take extra protection to protect his bags

for those who live here or has a good Internet speed. 1 of the news programs shows the CCTV

of some of the crimes committed,,,

THESE CROOKS are very slick.......

here are 2 videos from CCTV PATROL from abs-cbn.

if you want to "REDUCE your RISK" watch this

or at least be aware of how they operate

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
A is the answer  2. he was not aware of his surroundings 3, didnt take extra protection to protect his bags

4.  He was walking around Manila with $5000.

Even the most naive tourist knows that you don't do that in Manila.  That is why I mention insurance.  Maybe he was robbed.  Maybe he had only $1000.  Usually, a police report is all you need for an insurance claim.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Even the most naive tourist knows that you don't do that in Manila.

Bet a Japanese tourist doesn't do that in Tokyo, lolol....I wouldn't carry that much as a tourist in my home town :cheersty:

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Even the most naive tourist knows that you don't do that in Manila.

Bet a Japanese tourist doesn't do that in Tokyo, lolol....I wouldn't carry that much as a tourist in my home town :cheersty:

Why not, l did. I walked around Bagong Silay Caloocan with 5k US on me. I guess I'm just special. :thumbsup: Then again, l don't walk around with my head up my......

Edited by robert k

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
.I wouldn't carry that much as a tourist in my home town

Doesn't worry me that much, I don't have $5000 :hystery:

Enough for 2 beers is about all, most days :cheers:

HEY don't laugh it's true  :unsure:

Jumper0155
Posted
Posted
Even the most naive tourist knows that you don't do that in Manila.  That is why I mention insurance.  Maybe he was robbed.  Maybe he had only $1000.  Usually, a police report is all you need for an insurance claim.

I'm not sure about other countries, but most insurance companies here in the United States don't cover lost or stolen currency no matter the amount.  They will just tell you "Sorry for your loss, you should have carried travelers checks instead.". :1 (103):

• Like 3

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wear jeans when walking anywhere. I carry an ankle velcro mini wallet (like bike riders have) under my sock-with my socks pulled up. Maybe a small amount in my pocket-but regardless... never would I walk around with more cash than I can afford to loose. Too many opportunists around.

Edited by Hey Steve