Cebuano Or Tagalog

Americano
Posted
Posted

I'm really proud of those who take the time and make the effort to learn one or more of the languages in the Philippines and maybe its best if you learn what is being said if you can't trust your wife or gf but there is another reason it could be bad for some foreigners to learn to understand what is being said.  I know a foreigner who learned enough Bisaya that he could understand what the Filipino males were saying to his gf.  He would get in arguments with the Filipino males and almost got into a fight a few times.  He finally got tired of all the rude comments and left the Philippines.  My wife tells me their rude comments but after they are far enough away that I don't decide to beat the hell out of them. This keeps me out of trouble.  Everyone knows the Filipino is always right, we are only visitors here.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I know somebody will refute the order but I read a report recently that the most spoken language is English followed by Filipino and then, with almost the same numbes, Vasayan... Don't ask me why but they listed Tagalog as 4th.

When you get down to it, I agree with above... It all depends on where you will be living.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hope I live long enough to see the nation speak one language and I have an interpreter with me, and an Editor for all the mistakes I make typing in my native English

Maybe our webmaster can add a spell check.

Hope I live long enough to see the nation speak one language and I have an interpreter with me, and an Editor for all the mistakes I make typing in my native English

Maybe our webmaster can add a spell check.

Hey JJ that's not a bad idea, excellent :tiphat:

Guys

The webmaster does not need to add a spell check because every modern browser has its own. I am over trying to show people how to use their browser so please learn how to use it (your browser) or update it to something modern if you are not seeing spell check as you type. Spell checkers went out of forum software when my hair was still black and I practiced wine women and song so please look at your browser settings. Here are a few links that may help you.   :)

Chrome

Firefox

Internet Explorer 

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If you use Chrome just right click on the text area and select as follows.

post-575-0-46304100-1416486016_thumb.png

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
they will always speak better English than you will speak their language. And for those that want to know what the locals are saying about you....you would probably be happier not knowing.

Haha  Larry dont give to many secrets away. ( I already know I'm a handsome prince) :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
If you use Chrome just right click on the text area and select as follows.

Thanks for the lesson Mike, I have spell check which appears not to work, but will try using Chrome.

I have spotted mistakes and corrected, but that of course throws "last edited up" thanks again. JB

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Bob since you are visiting the Philippines right now and meeting some young ladies which language do they speak when they ask if they can borrow your earrings?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
chris49
Posted
Posted

Tagalog. It is easier,  not much easier than any local dialect. But it is easier.

Here it's Ilocano. I can't speak Ilocano but I have a knack to understand a little bit. My daughter speaks it, but will mix a  little English. People do come here from other provinces and will speak Tagalog to the locals.

I'm not saying I speak it much, but I understand Tagalog and can write out a text message if I have too. If you listen to the locals talk they will mix in a few words of Tagalog, that's your key to understanding the topic. You will not know exactly what they are saying but you will get an idea.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I would like to learn a little but,

The other day while trying to get some work done in the house i was explaining to Ems dad about this wall and so on, and i knew it would be better for me to tell Ems and then she could tell her dad, ]

Any way i told Ems what i wanted and then she turned to her dad and said all i had told her in perfect English, my mouth dropped, and he understood every word then replied back in Tagalog,

The reason he does not understand me is because i talk to quick, lots of the people say that, i do try to speak slowly but still they dont understand

• Like 1