Cebuano Or Tagalog

Thomas
Posted
Posted

got ACCEPTED as a "normal Filipino" customers ASSISTED by they acted more as Filipinos and talked some local language.

Thomas we are talking about Foreigners that ARE asked to pay Foreigner prices not those that can speak the language and are not asked to, there is a Big Difference here. I would suggest you read the whole Topic so you don't get mixed up.

Oh I thought this topic was about which LANGUAGE is best to try to learn some of   :)

I will first go for common curtesy phrazes, but AMONG next is how to ask the start haggle phaze, which mean "Best price?"  and the counting words in the local language.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have been observing K buying building materials. She asked her brother to do it for her, because she is known to have a "Kano boyfriend".

Likewise when the water delivery man saw me at her place, the price went up from 90 pesos to 105 pesos just because he had seen that she had a Kano.

So it seems to me that there is long nose price, "associated with a long nose" price, and "best price".

Meanwhile I still want to learn some Bisaya, just for social interaction.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Oh I thought this topic was about which LANGUAGE is best to try to learn some of 

It was (IS) but like so may Topics it looses Track but in the main, I don't think it matters which Dialect we (The Foreigner) chooses to learn we will still have the Long nose tax added to Everything even the College courses to learn it.

that's me. :hystery:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

jassy
Posted
Posted

Learn Filipino. Its the national language.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
So it seems to me that there is long nose price, "associated with a long nose" price, and "best price".
Sure it is VERY COMMON,

BUT NOT allways.  Wasn't it in this topic I told about two exceptions I know?  Otherwice it was in an other topic recently  :)  

(=They still are asked to pay "kano price" from them, who don't know them, but NOT from their regular vendors, because they count them as "Filipinos enough" to give them Filipino price.  They have reached that by friendly with the vendors, assisted by try to speak some in the local language.  One of them e g go fishing with old locals (from land). The other foreigner even assist neighbours doing some harvest work for free. I don't know if they find it OK to tell where they live, but they live one in a SMALL town and the other in a village, so "everyone know everyone". where it's easier to become friends - or enemies  :)  -  with people, because meeting them often when it isn't decided too.)

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Learn Filipino. Its the national language.

Depending on where you are, lots of people don't speak Filipino... I I be more concerned on what the local language is first!

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I found that the longer I was there the more I could get an idea of what the topic of conversation was if not the specifics regardless of what language was being spoken. The reason why was that as I became familiar with commonly used words, place names, family names and nicknames,  and things in the news I could pick up on those words and then have a good idea what the conversation was about. Many of these words will be the same regardless of the language or dialect being spoken.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
nwlife
Posted
Posted

My fiance is from baybay city in leyte.  She insists I learn tagalog, and when fluent in it, I can then learn visayan (cebueno).  So I assume she means I can start studying cebueno when I am about 120 years of age! :)   

The only extra language I had any ease of learning was french and it has been about 25  years since I used it, so I forgot it almost completely now. But this summer starts my search again for tagalog materials so i can talk to her a little when she arrives in something besides english.  (But I do have to say her ability in English is better than mine!)  :D

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

You might want to try rosetta stone, is good for basic tagolog, I used it and picked up quite a few phases and lots of words, and I only got through the 1st disk.

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

You might want to try rosetta stone, is good for basic tagolog, I used it and picked up quite a few phases and lots of words, and I only got through the 1st disk.

I'm a little late to this conversation, but this is exactly what I was going to say. Rosetta Stone is amazing...way easier to learn than through a classroom course (if such a thing even exists in Tagalog).

I will add one thing about "Cebuano vs. Tagalog". I lived near Cebu City for three years and learned a smidgeon of Cebuano. The locals were often surprised to hear a smattering of Cebuano words from a foreigner, and even though I didn't know enough to say much meaningful, they still were entertained by the words I did know.

I accompanied two of my Filipino friends to visit their father two islands away in Iloilo. I honestly don't recall if they spoke Cebuano in Iloilo, but they DID speak Cebuano on the island in between (Negros Occidental). However, my friends could not communicate in Cebuano because the dialect was radically different. They reverted to speaking Tagalog in order to be understood.

I guess that differences in dialects of Tagalog are not as pronounced as those in Cebuano.