School Tests Without Having Teachers?

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I discussed education with my gf for future kids, and if they are clever enough and have enough disciplin, I prefer if they will do as I  did partly    =  At High school and higher level make SELF studies and make grading/graduation tests DIRECT without being student in a school.       That can be cheaper, much faster, and uninteresting parts can be skiped    :)

Are there such tests, which are counted as NORMAL Filipin exams/grades, where tests can be done WITHOUT going to the same school courses first?

If there are, how much do the TESTS cost to do?      (NOT counting the education material.)

Americano
Posted
Posted

Hi Thomas,

Yesterday on YouTube my wife and I watched a video where a 9 year old boy in the USA skipped 5 grades so he will be in college when he is 11 years old.

Here's a link: https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=B111US1045D20140718&p=Adrian+Romoff%3A+9-Year-Old+Piano+Player+Wows+Judges+-+America%27s+Got+Talent+2014+%28Highlight%29

I never heard of a similar program in the Philippines.  Maybe there are not enough highly intelligent students to start a program.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I never heard of a similar program in the Philippines. Maybe there are not enough highly intelligent students to start a program.
   I don't need a program, just a possibiility to do the tests  :)  without being a common student.  It's rather ok if it's just geting a spot when the normal students make tests,  not so important to get exams years earlier, the most important is not need to waste time siting in classrooms whole semesters   :)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

the most important is not need to waste time siting in classrooms whole semesters  

In a Perfect world I would agree Thomas but in Today's Grading systems, Attendance is taken into account on the %  of the Grade.

My Daughters friend lost her place at the School because the 85% year grading was reduced to 79% through bad Attendance. 85% was the minimum grade % to be allowed to attend the next year.

Future Employers would maybe looking into this, this why they ask for High School/College report cards, as part of requirements for Interview So they can see Attendance. Many things are learned from a whole day in class. No point in the excuse, OH! I wasn't her when you said that. Then get a bad Grade for it.

Attendance is as Important at School/College as it is  as the Work Place. If Attendance is not accorded how will the Children learn this important thing in Future life?

JP :tiphat:

deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know a guy who home schools his kids (junior and high school) and they sit the Philippines state exams externally. They have all skipped levels and have consistently sky-high marks and the eldest has been offered a fully paid university scholarship abroad.  

Attendance is as Important at School/College as it is  as the Work Place. If Attendance is not accorded how will the Children learn this important thing in Future life?

For college, yes I'd agree to a certain extent - depending on the career path chosen.

In some jobs its preferable to have someone that can work (hard) on their own initiative and without the 8 hour per day, "I leave at 5pm" attitude. 

Of course its down to the parents how flexible they allow their kids to be where it comes to attendance and it certainly would not suit everyone, not to mention you need to be able to answer all their questions at least as well as their teachers or the exercise will be pointless. 

Edited by deevey

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I know a guy who home schools his kids (junior and high school) and they sit the Philippines state exams externally. They have all skipped levels and have consistently sky-high marks and the eldest has been offered a fully paid university scholarship abroad.
Do you know anything more about such?

E g are there more than one date to chose from for SAME tests?

Is it TESDA hanfling it or who?

Fees?

Of course its down to the parents how flexible they allow their kids to be where it comes to attendance and it certainly would not suit everyone, not to mention you need to be able to answer all their questions at least as well as their teachers or the exercise will be pointless.
Yes. YOUNGER kids surely need some guidance and tutoring - before they have learned to lead themselves (with some tutoring if they don't understand something.) 

(In Denmark they have a school where they teach even 7 years olds to even make their own SCEDULING and "GRADING"  !!!   It's not normal grading, they say things as "This part I did good, but this part I didn't work enough with".   And that's 7 year olds doing that THEMSELVES!   :thumbsup:    There are teachers, they can ask if they want to.)

Some 15 year olds can surely do all themselves.  I know, because I did it myself   :)    

(=I did what the Swedish school system allowed.  E g I concentrate read the Civics subject and did the exam test direct without any tutoring. By that I didn't need to go to these lessons, so I got sleeping mornings and Friday afternoon free friom school  :)

Later I speed studied some other subjects and made tests direct in them too, both at High School and College level.)

I look for similar solutions in Phils, which my future kids can use, if they will suit for it.  Including tests for ELEMENTARY school level, so they can get HOME schooling in some important subjects, which I find Filipin schools - and European schools too   :)   - being to bad/slow at, but still get official grades, to have it done if they will need it later.

(I hope they wiill aim at the PRIVATE sector, so they don't need College/University exams    :)    If they don't koin the family business, or start own, I hope I will have goit contacts enough then, to assist them geting work with someone who check their KNOWLEDGE, not just exams.)

In a Perfect world I would agree Thomas but in Today's Grading systems, Attendance is taken into account on the % of the Grade.
Well. That's an UNMODERN thinking of the school to bother about attendance that much. The RESULTS are the important. Nowadays more and more WORK are done from HOME leading THEMSELVES, so better prepare students for that...

((When I did lead a team of programmers - except in startup, until I had seen their work ethic - I ONLY bothered what they got DONE, and they could work ANY hours they wanted.  By that we could keep a guy several years with much less pay than Motorola offered him, because he liked the freedom with responcibility and he wanted to sleep late in the mornings   :lol:

deevey
Posted
Posted

Do you know anything more about such?

E g are there more than one date to chose from for SAME tests?

Is it TESDA hanfling it or who?

Fees?

I'll be probably seeing him later today, so I'll enquire for you. 

deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ok heres the info he gave me:

1. Both parents need to be College Graduates. 

2. You need to provide proof of being available to school your children at home OR provide a tutor.

EXAMS

You can either choose to enroll the kids in a Home School program at any school that provides the service (lots apparantly) and you can follow their source material for study and do exams at their premises.

OR

You can do State exams without enrolling in any school. 

However IF you choose not to enroll in a homeschool program and your kids fail a single chosen subject in state exams their entire grade is forfeit and they need to repeat all exams. Whereas the Exams within schools allow average grading across subjects which is the normal school system way of doing things.

His recommendation was to look to a local school that provides Homeschool enrollees as it provides a support system, should you need it in regards to their tuition. 

Schools DO NOT need to be within close proximity - e.g. he is in Bulacan province, and his daughters school is in Metro Manila. 

Hope that helps you out somewhat. 

Edited by deevey
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Thank you!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yesterday on YouTube my wife and I watched a video where a 9 year old boy in the USA skipped 5 grades so he will be in college when he is 11 years old.

We faced a similar situation with our eldest son who was academically advance. At age 11 years, he got perfect scores on his SAT, a test normally taken by high school seniors as part of their college application. Unfortunately, his social skills were closer to his age group. The school principal proposed his taking advance math and physics classes at the university level while retaining some of his elementary and high school classes. Although non-athletic the school arranged for him to participate in team sports like basketball and volleyball.

He turned out okay. We have met several of his colleagues who were pushed rapidly up the academic ladder. They had no chance to develop social skills and it shows.

In answering Thomas, the Philippines offers the equivalent of the GED. Home schooled students have the opportunity to take a high school equivalency exam. They receive a diploma which some colleges and universities accept. I don't have the details, but it was mentioned during an education conference

Edited by JJReyes