School Tests Without Having Teachers?

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yesterday on YouTube my wife and I watched a video where a 9 year old boy in the USA skipped 5 grades so he will be in college when he is 11 years old.

We faced a similar situation with our eldest son who was academically advance. At age 11 years, he got perfect scores on his SAT, a test normally taken by high school seniors as part of their college application. Unfortunately, his social skills were closer to his age group. The school principal proposed his taking advance math and physics classes at the university level while retaining some of his elementary and high school classes. Although non-athletic the school arranged for him to participate in team sports like basketball and volleyball.

He turned out okay. We have met several of his colleagues who were pushed rapidly up the academic ladder. They had no chance to develop social skills and it shows.

In answering Thomas, the Philippines offers the equivalent of the GED. Home schooled students have the opportunity to take a high school equivalency exam. They receive a diploma which some colleges and universities accept. I don't have the details, but it was mentioned during an education conference

Yes. Friends in a suiting age group are very important in the long run.

That's why I DON'T plan FULL time home schooling in Elementary school,

The plan is to let the kids go to NORMAL school mainly, but get home schooling instead 1-2 days or so per week in a few important subjects which Filipin schools are bad at. (Mainly I think of Mathematics. And Business Economy   :)

When they reach High School age, they have got friends allready, and - I hope  :)  - disciplin enough to decide much themselves concerning self studies and if they want to go anything to normal school.  I guess it will depend some of if there are any girl/boy they want to see in school  :lol:    But on the other hand, they can get more spare time, the more self studoes they chose...